Notices

I'm new here

Old 10-22-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and mention what a great site this is. I am a male from Scotland, UK.

I have problems with alcohol but I remain unconvinced as to whether I am an alcoholic due to the fact that I can go many months without alcohol and when I encounter a situation involving alcohol socially, I can drink responsibly and then abstain again. I have lived in this way for almost a year now and it seems to work for me.

I do have all the hallmarks of alcoholic behaviour in my past and I am very conscious of my limitations.

Looking to the future, I think that I will ultimately end up completely alcohol-free but right now, the moderation approach seems to be controllable for me. Alcohol, and its ability to change my behaviour, really does terrify me. It's a constant battle and I offer my thoughts to all of you engaged in a similar fight..!
Old 10-22-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome b0glerd69

I reckon if drinking is causing you problems - and it must be for you to find yourself here - it doesn't really matter if it's twice a week or twice a year...if you suspect your life can be bettered by you quitting drinking, I think it's a road worth persuing.

D
Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to you. Only you can make the decision as to whether or not you are an alcoholic but as Dee said, if it is causing you problems the best bet is to just cut it out altogether. If you can't really control when or if a drinking session is going to turn out bad then the only option is to not risk it at all.
Have a read around and see if you relate. Sending you lots of support.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If alcohol is causing problems, why not stop drinking for six months and see how you feel then.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

- you're questioning whether you have a problem
- you've sought out an online support site for addicts

Those things right there are red flags in my book.
I'm sure it's a lot to swallow right now and even more difficult to accept, but there's enough here to raise concerns.
It's great that you're here - you'll find an amazing group of supportive people.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a month sober or thereabouts (in the context of the above - i've only drunk on 3 or 4 occasions in the last year).

Talk has started about the next work-related outing in London featuring alcohol. I am already nervous about it. I've been reading threads about coping with triggers, etc. I think I'll use the 'antibiotics' route as I can't use the 'driving' route as I am away from home.

Historically, these events have always been difficult for me and I would prefer not to have to admit to all my colleagues that I have problems with alcohol and can't trust myself around it.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I'm also new here and to sobriety.

A large part of me putting off my decision to be sober was having to admit to people about it, or feeling fear about dealing with those social situations. I knew for quite a while I had a problem.

It's very difficult and so far I have tried to avoid the situations I can and have slowly began to be as open as possible about it to friends and family. I'm sure others here will have more experience with that conversation, but having to admit and be honest is a difficult but powerful thing.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Warm welcome.
I continued for years trying to moderate sometimes successfully and sometimes not but I always had the inclination deep down as I suspect you do too having come here, that I didn’t have a normal relationship with alcohol.

For me, it got worse and worse regardless of how many times it went well.
Better for me anyway to remove it from my life completely, hope your path takes you down the road that’s best for you.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

All anyone else really needs to know is no thanks.
That being said I couldn't live my old life and stay sober - I had to make changes.

You say it's work related - does that mean compulsory?

D