Notices

Parent of child in need of help

Old 10-27-2004, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Parent of child in need of help

I'm a newbie here and would appreciate any ideas, suggestions or help, here's my story. My 15 year old daughter has been experimenting with drugs and alcohol for 3-4 months possibly longer. She started dating a boy who is heavy into it and even deals it. I have been trying to stay one step ahead of her by checking her room, listening to phone conversations, and reading her instant messageing. I have found out more than I really care to by reading the messages but it keeps me informed on what she is up to. She started out with just a drink here and there, then it was pot once in a while and now I have read that she is buying Xanax and crushing it and snorting it. We have grounded, we have talked, I keep finding information about what drugs do to a person and give it to her and yet she keeps on. I woke this morning at 3:30 am and just started crying uncontrolably for an hour. I think I realized that my daughter has a real problem and I'm no longer sure of what to do for her or us. I think I am going to call a drug/alcohol counselor today and make an appointment for all us. Any other suggestions?

I am happy I found this site it's nice to know, but also scarey, that I am not the only one out there.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Since your daughter is a minor you have a lot more say in her life right now than you ever will again...... This child needs to be in rehab the sooner the better. She need to be put somewhere that she cannot leave. I know this sounds drastic...... I hope you will act fast and get this straightened out as soon as posible. You have all the evidence you need to be convinced she has a real problem. Checking up on her is not going to do any good if you don't do something fast. (((((((BIG HUG)))))))) for you.....
Old 10-27-2004, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm with Splendra 100% - since she is a minor I would immediately get her in rehab - and a rehab AWAY from the area where you are now. My sister got into drugs bad in college, and we did an intervention - she was furious and begged, cried, and pleaded...but, she swears now that we probably saved her life. You've got to get her out of that environment - at least that's my thought. Good luck to you - and I'm so sorry, I know how hard this is on you!
Old 10-27-2004, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Angela

Helo delap.. how is everything? well I read what you had to say and I wanted to give you some advice... Try to me more of a friend thant a parent.. give lots of love and suport to your child.. Sometimes when a child feels preasure it starts becomeing more and more of a revold.. She is young and u still have control over her.. just try to make her understand the wrong she is doing to herself.. I wish my parents has advice me ontime and I would never got to the piont I got.. Remember.. Be her friend.. spend valuable time with her.. give her lost of love and suport..
Hope everything turns out ok.. I'll pry for her....!
Angie.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
You are her parent and you have a right to be concerned. You need some tough love here. I agree, she needs to be taken out of the situation she is in sooner than later. You aren't her friend, you are her mom and her mom wants her around for the years she will be able to be her friend.
A counsleor is a good start, but if she is as rebellious as she sounds, in patient treatment is probably what she needs, as she will be removed from the boyfriend, removed from the ability to garner acess to the drugs and the circle of friends who influence her.
She is going to be pissed, she will say things to hurt you and try to manipulate you into getting her way. Stand strong. An addicts biggest weapon is the skill of manipulation. I know. I am one.
I also suggest you try NARANON, a support group for friends and family of addicts. You will find lots of support there.
God Bless!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Delap-- I recommend treatment for your daughter AND Alanon for you and your family. There you will find support and tools that you will need to help both her and yourself. Addiction affects all of us. Be strong. There is hope.

jojo