Notices

Diazepam and relapse

Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Thats interesting Andante. Im sure there are lots of legitimate uses for the drug and it's good it have been helpful for you. My mum has taken it for anxiety and found it a massive help though she doesn't have addiction issues. I think you are right, no drug should be demonised if it can be useful but there seem to be people like me where it overstimulates craving and reduces positive decision making and balanced judgement.
I have to take responsibilty too as I didn't properly look into what I was taking. As you say Decchemist, its really dangerous to mix with drink so Im lucky my respitory system held up as I have asthma. I'll tell my GP, both that I'm an alcoholic and that I had this issue with Diazepam.
Got to chalk it up to experience and not be so naieve in future. Good thing is it's refocused my committment to stay sober, so I guess every cloud and all that....
Sounds like a good plan to me. Congrats on your commitment to sobriety! I promise you'll never regret it.

I guess I've seen too many threads over the years in which "I tried [drug x] and it wasn't for me" devolved into "Terrible things will happen if you take [drug x], it's evil!!!" and could see this one potentially headed in that direction.

Psychoactive meds are always going to be a tricky area for recovering addicts, as our brains are obviously wired a bit differently from the norm. A others have pointed out, it's best to be as honest and truthful with your physician as possible, and do your best to be well-informed about the potential effects of anything prescribed.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350 View Post
I'm definitely not trying to demonize any drug, I guess what I'd leave you with is you should be fully up front with your dr in the future, which is seems you know now. Having the whole picture may have changed what was prescribed to you. I'm glad you've refocused and wish you the best of luck.
Hey. Thank you. I appreciate that. Ive come to the conclusion that this is the way things go. Try my best and stay focused on recovery but if/when there are disaters, like this week, the use it as an opportunity to learn. Moving forward with a better knowledge of my relationship with alcohol, how it had affected my life and drugs/people/thought processes/occassions that leave me vulnerable to relapse. Feeling pretty good about things . I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experience with, it helps get to the truth of things.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me. Congrats on your commitment to sobriety! I promise you'll never regret it.

I guess I've seen too many threads over the years in which "I tried [drug x] and it wasn't for me" devolved into "Terrible things will happen if you take [drug x], it's evil!!!" and could see this one potentially headed in that direction.

Psychoactive meds are always going to be a tricky area for recovering addicts, as our brains are obviously wired a bit differently from the norm. A others have pointed out, it's best to be as honest and truthful with your physician as possible, and do your best to be well-informed about the potential effects of anything prescribed.
That's the view I'm taking. I understand there are loads of prescription meds out there that help folks with all manner of issues. I think this whole process (recovery) is about education for me, and taking responsibility for who I am and where I have got to. I didn't tell my GP because my addiction seemed a separate issue from the treatment I'm getting for hormones but of course it's not! I have a vulnerability in any treatment - alcoholism! Those pills felt evil the other day but I was more pissed than anything. I totally get your point.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hope you are doing OK Gabe.
My experience with diazepam is that they were useful (under Dr prescription) for short term use and ease withdrawal symptoms from alcohol or to help with a traumatic event . But I emphasise short term as even long term small dozes will cause dependence.
I never had the effect of craving alcohol if I took diazepam but strangely they made me hungry .
I have a particularly loathing for these drugs due to past addiction with them and I think doctors who keep patients on them long term should be struck off .