Notices

Beginning day 10

Old 10-19-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beginning day 10

Good morning y’all. Starting day 10 of no booze. So far all’s good. No issues. However I am getting bored and antsy. Need something to do now that I feel the worst has passed and now need to occupy my spare time doing something else than bending my elbow
Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

WooHoo, Canuckleman!!
Boredom is part of the deal for lots of people in early days. Of course we need some time to sort of be in "neutral" until we find first gear. Like a respite, eh?

This might sound dumb, but I whole-heartedly encourage you to DO it: make a list of things to do to occupy your time. Leave off mountain-climbing for the time being (that goes on a different list) and make it things that you can do on the spur of the moment when you get that bored feeling. Solitaire, posting/reading on SR, painting, crosswords, rearranging a room, adult coloring books... you get the gist.

Then, consider making a schedule for yourself. This worked great for me. I literally blocked in times and activities and then checked them off as I went along. Include must-do things on your schedule as well, like paying bills and doing laundry. It really helps. In fact, I should/will start that up again shortly to prevent forming alternative overdoing-it habits.

Just a suggestion.

O
Old 10-19-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get the gist for sure. Sounds like a good place to start. Not really a colouring book kinda guy. But I get what you’re saying.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I wasn't a coloring book kinda gal. But I saw a guy doing an adult coloring book in rehab and tried it. Found that I liked the sort of meditative qualities of using colored pencils to make "art." It helps me to focus when I'm listening to others speak (like AA speaker tapes or The Moth Radio Hour or TED talks...). And I haven't quite calmed down enough to do it at home yet, lol.

Whatever, make a list/schedule and DO stuff?

O
Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’ll probably restart the gym routine. Go from there.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MetalRose

All the things that needed to be done but got pushed aside because of your drinking...put those on your "to-do" list. Good Luck! Congratulations on day 10!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ya that’s a long list. Lol
Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went through that boredom phase as well. It was awful I cleaned everything, reorganized watched A LOT OF MOVIES.....and started journaling like crazy. As time passed so did the boredom.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Boredom was/is a big trigger for me, especially on weekends. I’ve picked up a few of my old hobbies again, and am working on dealing with some of the day to day stuff I let slide while drinking. I still get antsy though...it’s amazing how much more time there is in a day when your not drunk or hungover.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Boredom is my trigger. Routine was drinking at night tho. I could get up in the morning , go to work, stop at the beer store on the way home at 3 pm, and be three sheets to the wind by supper time. Just gotta keep fighting day by day.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Canuckleman

Our imaginations get a little flabby when our definition of fun gets reduced to a bottle.

Try and think outside the box a little, sports hobbies, interests?
I got into volunteering in my community.

Here's some other ideas that may help start you off.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)

The other thing is...we can't be occupied 24/7,

At some point I had to learn to sit with myself and get used to the idea of no beer in my hand.

That took a while to feel comfortable...10 days is pretty early still - you're doing great

D
Old 10-19-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

��