Notices

Alcohol & Health anxiety. Hello everyone!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol & Health anxiety. Hello everyone!

Not sure if this is where I start, but I’ll keep it short!
Ive had a crazy journey for the last two years from experimenting with drugs to drinking everyday. For the last year I’ve been dealing with health anxiety & pretty severe chronic pain. My brain feels like it isn’t functioning correctly & I feel as if I’m going to have a seizure or something. I think it’s what one would call depersonalization. I always have left arm pain & chest pain likely due to gerd but I think I’m dying no mater what the root cause is. My pain & anxiety get so severe that it’s a full blown panic attack all day sometimes. I guess what I’m asking is for advice.
I drink 6-8 light beers a day 4.2 apv. I know it’s not that much! But I want to quit & I know it isn’t helping me at all if anything it’s amplifying everything.
I’m aware I need to quit & I know I have a problem.
Here’s were things get super interesting & hopefully this makes sense! I’m so afraid of having a seizure or going through dt’s because of my health anxiety that I can’t seem to shake the habit of grabbing a beer & drinking it to make sure I won’t die. This leads to multiple beers consumed & thus turns into a terrible cycle. I’ve successfully tappered myself to 3 beers a night but I can’t get any further down! I absolutely 100% need & want to quit. Doctors aren’t much help I’m only 22 so nothing is wrong to them I feel like an old man on his last day of life almost everyday. My question is did anyone ever feel so bad at a young age from drinking so little I mean some kids at my college drink three times what I do & have hangovers not the feeling of death 24/7 like I do. Sorry for the long post. I’ve just turned to this site to hopefully get some advice on how to quit if it’s safe & if you share similar issues! Thank you!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi welcome to SR . While we are here for support the rules are that we don't offer medical advice only our own experience .
Can you seek a second opinion from another doctor ?
In my experience stopping drinking was essential then dealing with the health anxiety .
I can relate to the vicious cycle ,it is common to use alcohol to get out of this panic feeling but as you know it doesn't help .
The way the doctors explained health anxiety to me holding one hand level with his chest area and the other above his head saying most people process pain and sensations down here ( at the lower area ) and people with health anxiety problems process away up here ( at the higher area ) .
For many people CBT which is a talking therapy is very helpful and for me having a complete check over and blood work done for peace of mind helped alot .
But ! and I repeat you must look at ways to stop the alcohol and drugs to break this vicious cycle . At 22 you are not going to die , Oh and did I mention you must stop drinking alcohol and drugs .

Wish you well .
Old 10-19-2017, 12:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Hi welcome to SR . While we are here for support the rules are that we don't offer medical advice only our own experience .
Can you seek a second opinion from another doctor ?
In my experience stopping drinking was essential then dealing with the health anxiety .
I can relate to the vicious cycle ,it is common to use alcohol to get out of this panic feeling but as you know it doesn't help .
The way the doctors explained health anxiety to me holding one hand level with his chest area and the other above his head saying most people process pain and sensations down here ( at the lower area ) and people with health anxiety problems process away up here ( at the higher area ) .
For many people CBT which is a talking therapy is very helpful and for me having a complete check over and blood work done for peace of mind helped alot .
But ! and I repeat you must look at ways to stop the alcohol and drugs to break this vicious cycle . At 22 you are not going to die , Oh and did I mention you must stop drinking alcohol and drugs .

Wish you well .
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it! I’ve been seen by multiple doctors! & had mris etc I haven’t done any drugs in almost a year due to a a crazy experience that I think is the root cause of all of this. Also I noticed my health anxiety got debilitating after a spinal tap. To point I couldn’t even go into stores or barely work I still have trouble with school & super stores I think because of the lights & previous drug use. I’m definitely ready to quit alcohol. I will look into the talk therapy thing maybe with someone who specializes in the condition! I’m currently doing something similar but my counselor is very keen on telling me it’s all in my head. It may be but something has to be going on! Diet, alcohol consumption, gerd I have no idea but I’m starting to realize that I’ve thought I was dying for about two years now even before alcohol so maybe I just need to get healthy & not drink. Easier said than done but I quit opiates without treatment. I’m a year clean from them so i know I have the capacity to do something once I’m fed up with the way it makes me feel. Btw I’ve limited myself to 3 beers tonight so far so good! Thank you!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had similar anxiety. It was a terrible way to go through life. I worried about everything. It was almost debilitating. No more! When I stopped drinking, it was truely a miracle. It started to go away within a few days.
You need a better doctor who will take you seriously.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Pepper

Find a good doctor and ask for help with alcohol withdrawal - drinking to try and get through is like trying to control a fire with gasoline.

D
Old 10-19-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have some pretty severe anxiety and as we know drinking is not going to help that at all.

Seems that contacting a doctor would be in order?

Good luck,
M-Bob