Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 2

Old 10-28-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Hi class. Day 1 is here again. Don't know how it will go with my wife, but I know this class will have my back. Thank you.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm off to London today for a few days. This is 21 days accomplished and have no thought of giving in.
I still don't have much to say here. Maybe because I'm still finding it easy. I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because I read about AVRT which Dee on here suggested. It got me thinking about thought and how it's not me but just some voice I could watch with detachment. Seems to work. The voice wants this or that, I can keep some distance from it.
Whatever works eh?
Best of everything to everyone.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, Class! Let's all be strong for one another this weekend. Last weekend of October 2017! Not many days left of the month. I am so looking forward to the month of November 2017! It is snowing here today but, it is not sticking to the ground. Just a preview of what the midwestern winter is going to be like. If we didn't have a winter we wouldn't appreciate the springtime as much! Have a great day, everyone!
Old 10-28-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Snow sounds nice, ChloeRose!

I'm on Day 26 (had to look at my iPhone to figure that out). I'm doing well on the not drinking front. Made some really big changes after my last 'binge' on Oct. 2 which was really awful, unnecessary and ridiculous - but maybe it was necessary in order for me to make the big changes I made. I'm not sure I'm joining the group because I have a lot of other stuff happening, but just wanted to say hello!

Badgerden, I watched the first episode of Stranger Things 2 last night - was really good!
Old 10-28-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Way to go Taplow. Way to keep fighting til you win! Totally awesome!!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Snow sounds nice, ChloeRose!

I'm on Day 26 (had to look at my iPhone to figure that out). I'm doing well on the not drinking front. Made some really big changes after my last 'binge' on Oct. 2 which was really awful, unnecessary and ridiculous - but maybe it was necessary in order for me to make the big changes I made. I'm not sure I'm joining the group because I have a lot of other stuff happening, but just wanted to say hello!
I hear ya. Once the "switch flips" all those drinking binges of the past seem like self-abuse and self-destruction. Not worth the pain and torture I gave myself. It was time for me to wise up and I did. Sounds like you and I have similiar strengths. Love it!
Post when you can. Stay the course, my friend! ♡CR
Old 10-28-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Good morning October group!

Taplow - I'm pretty sure my addictive voice (AV) got a law degree from an Ivy League school! Between 4pm- 10pm I feel like a hostage negotiator with that frickin AV.
AV : we demand 1 bottle of vodka tonight and 6 beers
Me: I will counter that with exercise, chicken, rice, vegetables and water.
AV: (laughing) we will accept half the vodka but add 3 beers and a shot
Me: ok - chicken pizza, no veggies and flavored seltzer water
AV: we will,take the vodka off the table and ask for just wine and beer
Me: final offer - taco pizza, chips and salsa and a two mile walk around the lake.
AV: we will accept those terms tonight - see you again tomorrow.

Stay strong this weekend - Ba Bam!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Forgot the two mini snickers I will swipe from my kids on my final offer ...
Old 10-28-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

CC,
You have a terrific imagination! You should make a comic strip!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

I CAN NOT STOP EATINGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

That is all!

LOL!

Kx
Old 10-28-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rubaduck View Post
Easiest of my give up attempts so far. Hope it continues. Sure felt rotten earlier in the week, but got through it.

I hope other people who aren't on their first attempt can experience a similar improvement.
Hi Rubaduck - I feel the same way in that this has been the easiest of my give up attempts. Watching the bank account get fatter is certainly motivating. Looking back I think of all wasted money pissed away, literally. Glad to see you are getting through it. Christmas at Rubaduck's house!

Bobdrop - Welcome back! Sorry your wife doesn't understand that you are struggling. I live alone, but I've had family members pretty much disown me (to this day) due to the alcohol effect. I don't know what it is (and I'm speaking for myself), but some people either don't want to understand it due to their own problems, can't understand it because they just don't understand it, or the relationship wasn't that strong at the moment and they just don't care, etc. Idk, you've already told her....maybe don't bring it up again, keep doing great sober things and live life without alcohol, keep posting here, continue your relationship with your wife without the bottle and own your struggle. See how it goes for awhile, see if things gradually shift...maybe it's too quick for her to grasp.

Taplow - Sounds like you've got a head start and you are way ahead of the AV on the track! Always good to see people with positive, strong, go for it attitudes.

Kit - I see good things coming your way. You've got this! I'll be rooting for you come Wednesday...and good for you going to go ask for salary.

Badge - I'd luv to have a dog. If things work out, once I get a house a little Cockapoo comes to mind (grew up with one and she was such a good dog).

Well, enough said here...right? Clones2, glad you're doing great....been meaning to say that.

If you're going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill
Old 10-28-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Chloe Rose, that is so accurate for me. I have been working at this for a long time but that last binge was the so called "straw that broke the camel's back" for me. I could describe how horrific it was, but I think we all know the deal. The next day I said to myself, "I am doing this to myself - and I have the power to stop!" Big light bulb moment for sure I have added a whole bunch of supports including: SMART face to face meetings, psychologist support (w/ meds as needed), a group therapy that works on things like mindfulness and CBT principles, and getting off of most social media (Facebook and Twitter - I have stayed on Insta because it's nice and a lot less toxic!) and keeping in touch with key friends. Again, thank you for hitting the nail on the head. I will post here when I can!

CClarity, I enjoyed that inner dialog with your AV. Great stuff.

Have a great weekend, all!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Great post Wonderbread - Thanks!!!!
K x
Old 10-28-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Charliesworld. My wife would like me to be like her. Not an alcoholic. She has 2 drinks a day and doesn't know why that doesn't work for me. I am so fortunate to have lived this long.
This group is amazing. Thanks Badge! I am committed. I am very stubborn. The fact that my wife thinks I can't do this makes me more determined.
Hi class. Day 1 is here again. Don't know how it will go with my wife, but I know this class will have my back. Thank you.
bobdrop...with love I say, this all sounds so unhealthy and enmeshed.

I would tell her, "I quit drinking." Then I would - quit drinking. You've made quite a few posts similar to those three I posted above.

Why is your wife's opinion more important than your sobriety?

How is what you put in your body any business of hers?

I know you have other, "secrets," but the most important thing for you is to put down the bottle and not be ready to cave every time your wife has a thought. Jeebus, I had enough trouble with my own thoughts in early sobriety - I shut out everyone elses' opinions. It doesn't have to be an argument, just don't drink. Not a word needs to be said.

I hope this is it for you today. Don't pick up a drink today, no matter what anyone else says or does.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
and getting off of most social media (Facebook and Twitter
Juno11 - Getting off of Facebook was one of the 1st things I did...
Bimini - DITTO
Yes, "CClarity Comic Strip"

Kit - I ate a whole bag of Werthers hard candy last night. Along with Sour Nerds....
Old 10-28-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
Hi, I'm off to London today for a few days. This is 21 days accomplished and have no thought of giving in.
I still don't have much to say here. Maybe because I'm still finding it easy. I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because I read about AVRT which Dee on here suggested. It got me thinking about thought and how it's not me but just some voice I could watch with detachment. Seems to work. The voice wants this or that, I can keep some distance from it.
Whatever works eh?
Best of everything to everyone.
Hi all,
I hope ye are all doing ok this weekend and my thoughts are especially with Bob today.
I'm working my way through day 7 right now.
I quit cigarettes a number of years ago and used the Alan Carr book which I found very useful. There are so many paralells between that particular process and what I'm learning from this site and experiencing on this journey now.
I am understanding that One Drink would be like One Cigarette. It would be me opening the door to a dangerous and very slippery slope that leads only to one place.......right back to total dependence.
So heres the thing........Last night I had a dream that I was a social smoker. I was out with friends and one of my dearest oldest mates offered me a cigarette, and when I reminded him I no longer smoked he told me I've been smoking the odd one for years now without relapse. In the dream I'd made it to that fake Nirvana where Ex-smokers can take it or leave it as they choose.
When I awoke and remembered the dream, I thought how sneaky that AV really is. Weaselling its way into my dreams and telling me that "I can take it (cigs, beer etc) or leave it as I choose because I have regained control".
I'm not buying it!
I've woken up!

Taplow above mentions some reading material that Dee pointed him to.
I'd be very grateful if someone can point me towards it also.

Tonight I'm going to attend a birthday party in a hotel.
There'll be beer, food, music, lots of friends, some of whom are my dearest and oldest friends.
I've made some excuses why I will be arriving a little late and why I have to leave a little earlier than I normally would.
I'll bring the car so I can bail when I need to, if I need to.
This will be my first social engagement since my last drink a week ago tonight.
To be honest, I'm looking forward to getting it out of the way.
Its a sort of a challenge that needs to be overcome and at least I can "Tap-Out" whenever I feel its getting a little too much to handle.
My wife is 100% on board here with me, which is a blessing, I know.
Victor
Old 10-28-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

SoberVictor, the Secular section of SR:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...r-connections/

The long thread about Addictive Voice Recognition Technique - (AVRT) the technique used by Rational Recovery :

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ined-long.html
Old 10-28-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Wow, that was quick.....
Thanks Biminiblue,
Hope youre having a strong weekend.
Victor
Old 10-28-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Hi just checking in. Still here. Start part of October. Focus on me! Focus on me!! (Not you guys ) no other distractions unless healthy.

Viper
Old 10-28-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

OK, ya'll. I've done it again, another name change. SimplyFree, no more confusion....you can go back to calling me LuLu.
HAHA! Rubaduck - LuLu has some bread, aka extra money in the bank...

Thank you Anna....