Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 2

Old 10-18-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Is anyone else a couple weeks in and dealing with panic attacks? I thought they'd have started earlier, then foolishly thought I'd avoided them this time. Alas, they've begun in earnest. The last two days have been a pretty constant state of major panic.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 3 and getting antsy, getting off work soon and my time to "relax"..Going to make dinner and eat with my son and should take the edge away hopefully. Going to do this!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

8pm here in England.

Just checking in again - Day 7 now, I felt so down and rough earlier, mainly with the exhaustion and not being able to work, I had a meltdown but since then I took a step back, taken some strong Vitamin B's and had a load of healthy food, along with the bags of sweets, just cant resist the sugar cravings still lol...

So I resisted the poison and I'm nearing the end of another day sober.

Was very down earlier but feeling strong again now and ready to smash work tomorrow, time to get strong again and LIVING instead of existing!

Lot's of Love, Good Wishes and Happy Vibes to everyone else!!!!

Hope you all have a good day and stay strong

K x
Old 10-18-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I havent posted in a year or so.... but I keep having Day 1's. The support here has helped in the past, and I am hoping this time will be different. I have a plan and will go day by day.

Day 2 today. Thank you.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350 View Post
Is anyone else a couple weeks in and dealing with panic attacks? I thought they'd have started earlier, then foolishly thought I'd avoided them this time. Alas, they've begun in earnest. The last two days have been a pretty constant state of major panic.
Sorry to hear you are stuck in the panic mode. I'm on day 7 and my panic attacks are not as bad as the first couple of off-the-charts panic attack days (I thought I was going to really lose it). This could change, idk. I was also a hot mess my first attempt here in April...but I do remember that the panic attacks started to dwindle around day 10. This time around I'm royally serious about getting sober and giving it my all....I'm in a "fight or flight" mode of survival right now and it may be that I am focusing deeply on surviving more than anything. Not sure what will happen after I get settled....anything could happen...but happen SOBER. If I were at the 2 weeks where you are at, I could give you a better response. Have you at least taken 5 deep breaths? Stay strong and keep posting.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kit2017 View Post
Hi Everyone,

8pm here in England.

Just checking in again - Day 7 now, I felt so down and rough earlier, mainly with the exhaustion and not being able to work, I had a meltdown but since then I took a step back, taken some strong Vitamin B's and had a load of healthy food, along with the bags of sweets, just cant resist the sugar cravings still lol...

So I resisted the poison and I'm nearing the end of another day sober.

Was very down earlier but feeling strong again now and ready to smash work tomorrow, time to get strong again and LIVING instead of existing!

Lot's of Love, Good Wishes and Happy Vibes to everyone else!!!!

Hope you all have a good day and stay strong

K x
I'm right here with you at day 7....let's do this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJMwBwFj5nQ
Old 10-18-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hey Ya'll!

Still going strong, super bored at work, hopefully, that doesn't jinx me, haha.

Have a great day/evening!!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi, there DreamCatcher! The weather in WI is perfect. Went for a bike ride. It's sunny about 71° but, windy. Made for a challenging but, excellent ride.
Hope you find something exciting to do after work!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Hi, there DreamCatcher! The weather in WI is perfect. Went for a bike ride. It's sunny about 71° but, windy. Made for a challenging but, excellent ride.
Hope you find something exciting to do after work!
A bike ride sounds amazing!! I am in MN so our weather is very similar! I remember biking to watch a friends daughter play softball with my son in the burley, going uphill in the wind, it took 25 mins to get there and on the way home, 10

Have a wonderful rest of your day as well

Old 10-18-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello all, mind if I join? I've been here before and now starting once again. This time is for good.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 13.. a little rough today been irritable but tonight feeling a little better went walking and drinking some warm tea now. Staying busy helps me the most. Great job everyone! Have a great night
Old 10-18-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi folks. Welcome to new people. I just came in yesterday. Member for years... 100 days is probably my record. This garbage has ruined my life. 47 and back with living with my parents. Yes I have chronic illness, but it would have been absolutely controllable without the booze. So many years feeling sorry for myself and blaming everyone else. I lost out on a big chunk of my life being sick and continued screwing it up with the alcohol. I was raised by a good intentioned, but angry, disapproving, drunk, businessman.

Being infuriated that my peers or people with far less to offer than me, exceeded me in every way. Attorneys, hedge fund managers, scientists, architects... it sucks. Always blaming everyone else. Angry at the world. Poor me. I want to smash that part of me with a bat.

Luckily I learned compassion from being ill. I learned how precious and special life is and that I don’t want to spend it the way everyone else chooses to. That’s part of what held me up. Knowing that deep down inside I wanted something different (like being a field biologist), but having no clue on how to build a slightly unique life. And no confidence or self esteem. Eventually just drunk facade and bluster.

So now I know. And I’m sure we’ve all been through the regret, the blaming, the self shaming, the anger, and the ‘woe is me’ garbage.

Well luckily may parents house is huge. Dad hated his 2 year old expensive mattress and got a new one, so we set up the his old one in my back ‘quarters.’ Across the mud room from the house is a TV den and a large room with a fireplace that was my dad’s office, with a full bath. We put the Tempur-Pedic on the floor and cleaned up the room today. New sheets and washed some bedding for it. I didn’t mind being on a nice camping pad back there, but this should be luxury.

This makes me happy and sad. I don’t want to be here and don’t know how much longer they’ll be around.

More later. Day 5 done. Sorry I’m always on my iPhone so I make a lot of typos.

Viper
Old 10-18-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Thanks Dee. I posted in October 2016 I guess?
2014 but who's counting? LOL

Day 5 is great. Hope you'll feel a little better soon.

Originally Posted by rmeatgt350 View Post
Panic attacks are pretty common for a lot of us in early recovery.
Have you had them before rmeatgt350?

welcome back Clones and FaithfulandFree - and congrats on your milestones treasurefinder and Kit

D
Old 10-18-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Winding down day 7 at 4:40pm. Very lazy but beautiful day. My mind is trying to go into panic mode. This is one tricky slick maddening game. It's even more difficult playing the game with no one around. Am I kidding myself or am I really winning? It's really pissing me off and I feel like I really need to take a big leap forward to get some distance and a big head start leaving a big gap between me and the thoughts. Far from arms length. I want to run 4 minute miles and it run 20 minute miles....just keep running and it will never catch me.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nice to see you again Dee. Thanks.

Going through Day 2 today and 3 tomorrow. Which means i get to deal with major random irratibilty. it settles down by 4 or 5 usually.

Take care all.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

evening all, 7:30 pm here in eastern oregon. Settling back in to work routine after a 10 day break.

hello to all newcomers, finishing up day 9 after a restart last week. feeling strong right now, got in a short walk this am, and am anxious to get a solid routine going.

work is calling, take care all
badge
Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Urge surfing has helped me a lot LuLu.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)

D
Old 10-18-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

4:19am here in England...

Waking FAR TOO EARLY on Day 8... managed a straight 4.5 hours sleep though which is good for me at the moment. Just got a hot drink, back into bed and a read / post on here then I will try and get another hour or two before facing the day ahead.

Yesterday was real tough with tears and tiredness but after getting some healthy food in me and a very strong vitamin B complex I'm believing today I'll be stronger. I just went into the bathroom and scared myself looking in the mirror!!! LOL, never seen myself looking so pale and drained.
I'm riding out this week or two of feeling low and looking forward to the feeling of vitality and being alive again...

I keep thinking about my drinking and how I can not fail this time, I feel lucky as I've been so close this time to loosing everything, I got in a mess financially, physically, emotionally but I'm still just in the safe zone enough to turn this back around, if I went on a binge now that really would be it, game over.

I'm keeping strength this time no matter what and send love and strength out to everyone else going through this!!!

Kx
Old 10-18-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi again folks. Sorry about people going through withdrawals and anxiety attacks. It’s part of the territory, but stinks. Just know every day ships get better or lead you to days when things start getting a lot better.

Day 5 has been the best so far. I get extra tired when I stop,. I don’t get the sleepless nights. I sleep a lot, as if my body recognizes it’s time to heal. Thanks for enduring my ‘slightly’ negative introduction there. I was feeling a little ticked off maybe. I needed to get that out.

I’m lying in bed. I’ll be asleep soon. 12:17am in New England, US.

Viper
Old 10-18-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
Hi Charliesworld, as scary as it was, I actually found out that by just telling people that I have stopped drinking, was very freeing and I actually did not receive any negative, or weird looks. They were actually happy not to have to fight over who was the designated driver. I found it to be very empowering also. At the same time anyone who does have an issue with your not drinking, maybe isn't the friend they were pretending to be?

Badge
Thanks Badge

I don't know how to address it tbh. None of my friends know I have a problem so I am not about to come out with I'm an alcoholic and am not drinking anymore. Last night we were joking around and one said something about me being an alcoholic and they all laughed because for them I'm the last person who would be because they rarely see me drinking.

I have been out with them before and not drank but you know what it's like? I feel like I'm making them uncomfortable because I'm not iykwim. But I know those few hours of feeling that way are a small price to pay when those few drinks could lead to a 3 day binge which then takes another 3 days to get over!