Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 2

Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Hi class of October, please can I join? 37 (soon 38) year old wine drinking woman here who's been trying to quit for many years and still hasn't managed it. I'd love if this could be the month I'd do it, with your support.

I'm looking at upwards of two bottles a night, most nights a week, so I really need help. Scared to actually reach out in another class thread and be accountable, but I think I've run out of options. I've tried to quit by myself and I can't.

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulShine8 View Post
I am looking up the ignition interlock system on the internet and don't know how I am going to keep people from finding out with the camera and everything. ......If I do I am going to go to jail for a long time or prison or die.
I just looked at it online....maybe looks like a phone? Idk, could be hidden. I'd probably park down the street away from the office.

There's a thread on here: 'What is your most helpful "sobriety quote"?'
I think yours nails it for me: "Trust me, you will lose everything - Alcohol"
Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Bombshell:

You've come to the right place. Hang in there...
Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome bombshell

soulshine - I know it's hard but try not and leap too far ahead or awfulize too much - Ive known many many members here who ended up with a better outcome than the one they feared.

As far as the interlock goes, no experience, but they can't be too obtrusive or people would not be forced to use them.

D
Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Hey class of October 2017. I'm dissappointed to tell you that I'm starting over. I couldn't take the tension with my wife anymore. I love this class, Can I still be a member? This class has gotten me closer to getting past this than anything else. I had vodka and told my wife I was sorry for being such an ass lately. How do I get past that? She knew, but didn't say anything. Our generation? Class, I was just starting to get close to you. Will you have me back after this?
Don't beat yourself up too much. You're part of this class, we can all make a mistake. I like this class a lot and I like you, the fact that you're back here is great. One day at a time.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Bob - still a week of October to go - you're very welcome here

I think you need a new way of dealing with tension tho. Thats where I'd start this time.

D
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Wax, sorry.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the good stuff. How do I get past my wife being fine with me?
Old 10-24-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Dee, this is hard.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Bobdrop,

It's okay... no apology necessary.
I just want you to hang in there buddy.
I've been sitting here trying to think of what to say. I'm actually crying because I understand. This isn't easy, but we have each other and I just want all of us to make it.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Wax, unbelievable. In tears.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

24 more
Old 10-24-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
Hey class of October 2017. I'm dissappointed to tell you that I'm starting over. I couldn't take the tension with my wife anymore. I love this class, Can I still be a member? This class has gotten me closer to getting past this than anything else. I had vodka and told my wife I was sorry for being such an ass lately. How do I get past that? She knew, but didn't say anything. Our generation? Class, I was just starting to get close to you. Will you have me back after this?
bobdrop - Forgive yourself. You're putting in some good effort by being here and that's what counts. Have you taken some deep breaths today? We're all in this together....this place is that last thing you need to worry about.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
Just wanted to post tonight as I've never posted on SR (it keeps telling me). Day 9 and god knows I really value these 9 days more than anything. I've been following this thread and really feeling you all in this... I'm trying to keep strong myself and make plans as I haven't done in past - made 5 months before but made no plans or anything. Rookie mistake!!
Keep strong folks
Welcome Karamazov. Congrats on day 9, it's an accomplishment. Stay strong yourself and hope to see you around tomorrow....let us know how you're doing.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Administrator

I appreciate all the good stuff. How do I get past my wife being fine with me?
Dee, this is hard.
Yeah it is hard. I wanted everyone to love me again and to give me credit for stopping drinking - but that didn't happen with some people - no right or wrong, it just didn't happen right away.

A friend I had here in the Family and Friends section used to say - you [the alcoholic] don't get to set the timetable for me to forgive you or for me to trust you again

Its harsh but that process is just not in our control and thats all there is to it.

You can fret about that, and drink when it gets to you - but that just makes the whole forgiveness and trust thing on the part of our loved ones that much harder....

I really had to put my head down, focus on my recovery and not react to things in the same old way.

It was hard - but things got better and easier - and eventually the trust and forgiveness I wanted came.

If you're also finding it hard to forgive yourself - that comes with the territory too - but the past is done..it's gone. Focus on now.

Not everyone gets a second chance to do things right.
Take the chance and run with it, Bob

D
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

In a perfect world we would all be sitting in a posh rehab together overlooking the sea -with really good therapists and teams of people working with us 24/7.

I fortunately experienced this twenty years ago. I spent ten months total between rehabs and half way houses. Stayed clean and sober for four years and been off and running for twenty. What I've just realized is that it takes much more work than just quitting and I know this now.

If you don't mind a suggestion bobdrop, try getting to a meeting tomorrow. I say this with much sincerity. And If not tomorrow, then soon. And if that meeting sucks, try another. I know for me, Im going to need local help, guidance, and resources.

And a simple reminder* October ain't over yet!
See you tomorrow!!!!! And keep posting!

Good night friends...
Old 10-24-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
OX

Get back in class bobdrop.
Welcome all the new folks. Hope everyone is doing well.
I am sleepy as I took advantage of the nice pnw weather and went for a bike ride.
Been too long. Amazed at how much my fitness has dropped. But gonna get it back. Sober. Not gonna drink and not gonna change my mind.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Soul shine - not sure what kind of company you work for but the company I work for has an employee assistance program. For alcohol or drug abuse. If you proactively work with the EAP,, any corrective action or terminations are halted. My old boss got drunk during the middle of the day and had to be taken home. He immediately called the EAP and got into an outpatient evening program and kept his job. You might want to look into if your company has anything like that if you think you may be found out. . Do you have an employee handbook or something where you might be able to find out if they participate in an EAP ?

I haven’t been on here in a few days and haven’t caught up on reading posts, so my apologies if this subject had already been discussed.

LHW
Old 10-24-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!! Sober day. If today wasn’t Fall in Connecticut, I don’t know what is. It was so ominous and overcast, heavy winds, periods of showers, and very heavy fog. Definately some 17th/18th Century Puritan scariness. We hanged more witches here than anywhere in the US. Gallows Hill, the site of my alma mater. Not happy about the poor women, but it’s just extra creepy. And thank you Puritans for making this the most uptight state in the Union. Obviously you didn’t land at Santa Barbara! It had to be Plymouth Rock.

Anyway I’m struggling but ok. I can do this. I’m going to keep posting. In 48 hours there are so many posts I can’t keep up!!

I wish I could enjoy this fall being totally present in my mind/body. It takes weeks/months to start to feel like you’re no longer a cardboard cutout. But, the second I jump in that warm ocean on Dec 2, I’ll be inside my body.

Now there’s really a solid downpour outside. I’ll be in my cozy bed soon.

Good luck!!!!

Viper
Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Keep up the hard work Oct group!

Ba-Bam!