Notices

Please talk me out of drinking

Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Please talk me out of drinking

Really need someone's help today.

Just had an awful confrontation on the phone with my Father.
To cut a long story short I'm a couple of months sober and I have a very fractured relationship with him. I have been trying to deal with issues going back years, trying to square and sort things out in my own mind and this is the very first time I have really been honest with him, tbh it is long overdue. He did not want to listen to it but I couldn't not do it.
I thought there would be relief after having this discussion but all I feel is pain, I'm shaking from fear and I really want to drink.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi culture

I'm sorry that the conversation went badly.
Drinking would only hurt you more tho.

After many years of difficulties with my parents I finally worked out that I didn't have to conform to their ideals or to listen to the constant negative self talk they left me with.

I realised that I am an adult now and I can make my own life... and my family of friends and loved ones - the family I've chosen - is as good as a man can get

Confronting people will always be unpredictable.

my advice is to leave confrontations until you're strong enough to deal with any outcome.

til then - don't beat yourself up anymore - it's time for a change

D
Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Culture View Post
I thought there would be relief after having this discussion but all I feel is pain, I'm shaking from fear and I really want to drink.
I drank to avoid discomfort, I drank for the relief that alcohol provided. But alcohol only masks pain, it doesn't heal pain. What I learned in my sobriety was that the discomfort and pain I so sought to avoid COULD be dealt with sober.

You need to discover this yourself. Don't drink.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi culture,

I do understand how you’re feeling. Do try to remember that drinking over this will only make you feel worse. You’ve got two solid months of sobriety under your belt. Don’t waste them, please. As far as your father goes, he might not have reacted how you wanted but you’ve expressed your feelings and that has tremendous value in my opinion. Once you’ve had time to settle down and process what happened, you might also feel better about it too.

Anyway, sorry to ramble and I really hope you begin to feel a bit better soon.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, doggonecarl and Stronger for the advice and for your replies.
I really appreciate it, I am trying to calm down and will stay inside and not go to the store today, if I don't go out I can't get alcohol.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this Culture - stay strong

D
Old 10-17-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Culture.
Isn’t it strange? After we get angry and tell someone our truth, we think we will feel better, but we don’t.
I always feel like the other person has won somehow, because I let the control mask slip.
Never mind. Don’t drink. That won’t help.
Let everything in your head settle.
If you have a dog, take it for a walk.
And breathe.
Check back later, okay?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you stayed in Culture

D
Old 10-17-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Listen to your own voice.

We are simply here to reflect it.

We don't need to talk you out of it. The YOU who you really are already knows you don't really want to drink. YOU know it's not going to help. YOU know you want sobriety more than temporary and false 'relief'.

We can offer you many reasons and experiences and we can reflect on all the facets of how and why our own not drinking has enriched our lives.....

But the truth is you already have all the knowledge and all the strength you need to choose sobriety TODAY. NOW.

We need not talk you OUT of drinking, because you already know that the path you want continues INTO sobriety.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wanted to drink this month. I felt hopeless and depressed and anxious and did not want to live. But I knew I would eventually come out of my funk and that if I picked up a drink, things would be SO much worse! If I drank during my funk, I'd come out of the funk (or not) and have to deal with all this new wreckage and get sober all over again. NOT WORTH IT!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Really need someone's help today.

Just had an awful confrontation on the phone with my Father.
To cut a long story short I'm a couple of months sober and I have a very fractured relationship with him. I have been trying to deal with issues going back years, trying to square and sort things out in my own mind and this is the very first time I have really been honest with him, tbh it is long overdue. He did not want to listen to it but I couldn't not do it.
Hey Culture,

I am very sorry to hear that the conversation with your father didn’t go over so well.

I am struggling with the same issue today, as far as needing to not drink. I’m scared also, very scared. Reading on here and definitely posting helps a lot.

Let’s promise to do this sober thing together? One second at a time. I know from previous sober time I feel a TON better after giving it even just two days.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Culture,

I think you need something nice and distracting. You think staying inside is best, so I hope one of these ideas can help you:

1.Listen to Flower Travellin' Band on Youtube. It's like a Japanese version of Black Sabbath, and about 50 years old. Relaxing!
2. Do some housework. Feel a sense of accomplishment, exercise, and nice surroundings.
3. Watch a documentary. Bruce Lee?
4. Sort through old photos. Make a collage.
5. Find a beautiful picture. Then draw it as best you can.
6. Call a friend or family member. Explain how you feel, or just tell them you were thinking about them.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rubaduck; 10-17-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Fell -> feel (typo)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand your feelings of wanting to lay things out with your father. I suspect that you were hoping for understanding/apologies from him and it didn't come out that way. Look at this as a learning experience and do whatever it takes to get through it. The next time will be easier.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Hi, Culture.
Isn’t it strange? After we get angry and tell someone our truth, we think we will feel better, but we don’t.
I always feel like the other person has won somehow, because I let the control mask slip.
Never mind. Don’t drink. That won’t help.
Let everything in your head settle.
If you have a dog, take it for a walk.
And breathe.
Check back later, okay?
Thank you Maudcat for your suggestions and good advice
Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you stayed in Culture

D
I didn't stay in Dee but, I didn't go the store either. I went to my son's instead - lucky for me, he is off university today- and he made me a coffee and let me vent. I still feel sad about what happened today but I feel more in control now and won't drink.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Listen to your own voice.

We are simply here to reflect it.

We don't need to talk you out of it. The YOU who you really are already knows you don't really want to drink. YOU know it's not going to help. YOU know you want sobriety more than temporary and false 'relief'.

We can offer you many reasons and experiences and we can reflect on all the facets of how and why our own not drinking has enriched our lives.....

But the truth is you already have all the knowledge and all the strength you need to choose sobriety TODAY. NOW.

We need not talk you OUT of drinking, because you already know that the path you want continues INTO sobriety.

Thank you FreeOwl for your very wise words. I haven't drank, I don't deep down want to really, I think it was just an automatic reaction to drink as a way of blotting out the pain. But I'm slowly realising I have to find other ways.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I wanted to drink this month. I felt hopeless and depressed and anxious and did not want to live. But I knew I would eventually come out of my funk and that if I picked up a drink, things would be SO much worse! If I drank during my funk, I'd come out of the funk (or not) and have to deal with all this new wreckage and get sober all over again. NOT WORTH IT!
Thank you Bunny, it means a lot. I haven't drank.
I hope you feel better.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenSwimmer View Post
Hey Culture,

I am very sorry to hear that the conversation with your father didn’t go over so well.

I am struggling with the same issue today, as far as needing to not drink. I’m scared also, very scared. Reading on here and definitely posting helps a lot.

Let’s promise to do this sober thing together? One second at a time. I know from previous sober time I feel a TON better after giving it even just two days.
Thank you GreenSwimmer for your kind words, I hope you haven't drank either. We both KNOW it's not worth it.
Support to you my friend
Old 10-17-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rubaduck View Post
Hello Culture,

I think you need something nice and distracting. You think staying inside is best, so I hope one of these ideas can help you:

1.Listen to Flower Travellin' Band on Youtube. It's like a Japanese version of Black Sabbath, and about 50 years old. Relaxing!
2. Do some housework. Feel a sense of accomplishment, exercise, and nice surroundings.
3. Watch a documentary. Bruce Lee?
4. Sort through old photos. Make a collage.
5. Find a beautiful picture. Then draw it as best you can.
6. Call a friend or family member. Explain how you feel, or just tell them you were thinking about them.

Good luck.
Thank you Rubaduck for all your good suggestions.
I actually ended up talking it through with my son and that has helped to calm my mood and I haven't drank.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I understand your feelings of wanting to lay things out with your father. I suspect that you were hoping for understanding/apologies from him and it didn't come out that way. Look at this as a learning experience and do whatever it takes to get through it. The next time will be easier.
Thank you Anna.
You were so spot on. I was looking for understanding from him, I am the only one of his children who even still speaks to him. Sadly, he has rewritten the past and I have got to the point where I think I will have to cut him out of my life for good. I just can't keep on with him any longer it is too painful to pretend he wasn't a violent, drunken bully who everyone was scared of.
I talked it through with my son and he has calmed me down and I won't drink.