Notices

Hello

Old 10-17-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Well I am here learning how to accept I do not have control over alcohol, haven't for a long time, and need to talk to those who have been through it too. Currently trying to figure out how to get through the evenings alone without two bottles of wine or 10 beers. I am a single working professional. Just made a friend in AA by happenstance but haven't been to a meeting yet.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, Gnocchi - it's so good to meet you. Be proud of yourself for making that admission.

I drank 30 yrs. & became totally dependent on it. What had once been fun & a way to relax had become a necessity. It had brought danger & chaos into my life. When I began to share my thoughts here, I felt hopeful & encouraged. I hope you'll feel the same. You're never alone.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

We do understand and you will find lots of support.

Take a look around and you will find lots of ideas about recovery.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you found us.

SR has been a big help to me. Come December, I'll be 8 yrs sober and I give a lot of credit to this site. I hope we can help you as well.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I'm new here as well but spending time here each day posting or just reading has been a big help to staying the course.

Your drinking habits seem similar to mine. With different types of alcohol I averaged 10 or so a day with much heavier weekend consumption. I did that for just over 20 years but I just started digging myself out of the trench.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gnocchi!

I had to change my routine. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results just wasn't working. Joining SR was a lifesaver. The support here was key in my recovery.

Make a plan and stick to it. There's a wealth of information in our forums to help you achieve sobriety.

We've all been in your shoes. You can do this!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is an AA meeting like?

I’ve been thinking lately that i wouldn’t mind maybe trying an aa meeting. I’m ending day 8 feeling great, no more withdrawal. Just need to get out of the house and deal with the cravings that are creeping in. What’s a meeting like, and are they helpful?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Gnocchi and Canuckleman.

Having a routine is extremely helpful in these early days. I do best when I literally write a schedule out and do my best to follow it. Bottom line though is that at least if I'm doing Something that's Not Drinking, it's better than the alternative.

AA meetings vary so I'd encourage you to find multiple meetings to try out at least twice. I did that and found a different one for each day of the week. Some are step meetings where the topic is one of the 12-steps, others are speaker meetings where you basically listen to a recovering alcoholic's story, others are discussion meetings where one person speaks or reads briefly and others respond. Etc...

The basic format is
1. Get some coffee
2. Readings (same at just about every meeting)
3. Speaker
4. People are called on to speak OR the discussion goes around the circle. If you don't feel like speaking today you can just say "I'm Canuckleman and I'd just like to listen today."
5. Prayer
6. (not mandatory but encouraged: ) Mill around a bit and chat, exchange phone numbers, etc

I'm sure there's a what it's like kind of link here somewhere - let me try to find it for ya.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Here you go: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-about-aa.html (Curious about AA?)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Gnocchi

D