Notices

Why can’t it be easy

Old 10-16-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why can’t it be easy

I guess nothing worth anything is very easy, but why can’t I just not drink? I really do want to quit, but can’t seem to get through a day without alcohol. I know it’s a mind thing for me. If I could just get 24 hours under my belt, I’m sure I could keep going.

I reached out to my sponsor this morning after ignoring her text on Friday. I’m going to attend an AA meeting tonight. I wish I could go to one at noon, but I can’t. I must surround myself with a good support system so I don’t keep up this vicious cycle!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you on reaching out and getting to a meeting.
Its that first drink that we need to stay away from otherwise the cycle never ends.

You say "If I could just get 24 hours under my belt, I'm sure I could keep going"

So your first priority then is getting that first 24 hours by any means necessary.
Meetings, using this site, hell take it minute to minute if you must but get through that 24 hours and be proud of yourself for it.

It is tough, very tough but if your anything like me, I had hangovers or days of madness after a bender which lasted longer than 24 hours and I was getting nothing positive from that.

Keep strong
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nothing worth doing ever is.

You can do it!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
If I could just get 24 hours under my belt, I’m sure I could keep going.
instead of aiming for 24 hours, why not narrow that down to 1 hour? then the next,then the next.
and if necessary 1 minute. then the next,then the next.
and if necessary 1 second. then the next, then the next.

worked for me.
well, that, AA meetings, reading the big book, and working the program.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Drinking is easy. Quitting is hard. If you are looking for "easy" you'll always pick drinking.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
instead of aiming for 24 hours, why not narrow that down to 1 hour? then the next,then the next.
and if necessary 1 minute. then the next,then the next.
and if necessary 1 second. then the next, then the next.

worked for me.
well, that, AA meetings, reading the big book, and working the program.
24 hours is my main goal. I’m a very goal oriented person. However, I know when it gets close to my work day ending I will have to focus on much smaller time increments. I get off at 4:00 and just need to not drink until the AA meeting at 5:30. After the meeting will be tough. I will find my Big Book tonight so I can read some of it.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Drinking is easy. Quitting is hard. If you are looking for "easy" you'll always pick drinking.
You are absolutely right. It’s very hard. I’m not looking for easy. I just wish it was. I wish I could turn back time and never pick up a drink to start with.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

The best advice I ever got was to pick up the phone instead of the bottle.

Call a sober alcoholic who is in recovery before taking a drink.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
The best advice I ever got was to pick up the phone instead of the bottle.

Call a sober alcoholic who is in recovery before taking a drink.
I definitely need to do this. I got a ton of phone numbers at the last meeting I went to and a sponsor. I have no excuse for not calling someone before picking up a drink. Thank you for reminding me of this.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really feel for you Sinderos, I really do. But give yourself credit for the progress you've made. You have a sponsor, phone numbers and you're attending meetings. It's clear to me that you really want to quit drinking. The hard part is taking advantage of all these great resources. Any major change in life is very hard and requires a lot of determination. I think that 24 hours is coming soon for you as long as you stay the course and don't give up. I think you are going to end up being one of the many success stories on SR. John
Old 10-16-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Is achieving anything truly fantastic ever easy?

Sobriety is truly fantastic; give it all you have and found out just out great it is.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right. It’s very hard. I’m not looking for easy. I just wish it was. I wish I could turn back time and never pick up a drink to start with.
IF you commit to recovery, work the steps, and recover, you wont wish to turn back time. you'll be able to accept your past, not regret it or wish to shut the door on it.you will find it a very valuable posession.

im very blessed to have lived 2 lives.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's the ending of a long term relationship. That's never easy. You miss that person/thing(booze),but eventually you have enough and have to go no contact at all costs to protect yourself and sanity. Time to go NC with the booze. Get to a meeting asap and go as often as you can for support. Of course here too. Hang in there.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
It's the ending of a long term relationship.
I never thought of it like that. You are absolutely right though. It is the end of a long term relationship. Thinking of it in this respect is definitely going to help me deal with getting sober and staying that way. Thank you for your comment!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's what's amazing if you think about it. There was a time in your life when you didn't want alcohol. Didn't "need" it. It wasn't even a thing. You were happy then, you could enjoy yourself. For some of us it was when we were kids.. others, who didn't start drinking problematically till later in life, we can even remember teen and adult years when alcohol was not in our lives. It just shows what an ILLUSION it is thinking we HAVE to have it, that we are missing out on "something" without it. It's a lie. A brain trick. Just like OCD is for those afflicted with that. They don't NEED to touch that doorknob, or wash their hands. It's a lie.

You can retrain your brain. We all can. It takes time, but you can.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In all seriousness, if someone was too offer you a million dollars to not drink for the next 24 hours, do you think you could do it?

yes or no?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sinderos

Believe me you will get to a point where you prefer not to drink...this is just the last gasp from the AV - you have It on the ropes and It's scared

don't leave before the miracle happens, right?

D
Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
In all seriousness, if someone was too offer you a million dollars to not drink for the next 24 hours, do you think you could do it?

yes or no?
My guess is you would get the, "Million dollars," because you valued the money, more than a drink. My point is, find something you really value that can empower yourself, besides the drink.

You can do it!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

All sound advice, only thing i can add is to get some medical advice before doing anything if you are a HEAVY daily drinker. Stopping suddenly isnt a great idea.

Be safe and strong mate theres great support on here.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sinderos-
The fact that you are going to an AA meeting and have a sponsor, plus posting on SR, you're already on the right track. You have a plan and now comes the "hard" part, go to the meeting, work on the steps with your sponsor. Before you know it, you're posting your 1, 30, 60, 90, 120+ days of sobriety.
You got this!