Notices

I'm an alcoholic...

Old 10-16-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic...

Today is the first time I have ever called myself one and realized it's the cold hard truth. My drinking has gotten so out control I missed work many times over the past few months. Yesterday I woke up with so many bruises from falling down I lost count. That is what truly scared me, I looked like I had gotten run over and remember none of it.

My boyfriend broke up with me yesterday because of my drinking. When we started dating I never went to bars, he had gotten a DUI prior to us being together and then him and I started drinking together. But I can't blame it on him. Problem was I got out of control. One shot became six and then I was buying alcohol without him. Falling down and rude at times. I'm so full of shame. I've never realized it was this bad until today. I feel so embarrassed for myself but at least I've accepted I have a serious problem. I've accepted I cannot trust myself to even one drink. Hopefully I can change and mend some of the things I have broken. This is my first step.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Congratulations on making the hardest step.

From the point of acknowledgement, you are free to make a new choice.

We're here to help.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad you are here for support. You took the right step. You will find alot of support to help you stay sober because the alcoholic lifestyle is not a way to live but, rather the path to a distructive, miserable, lonely and ultimately deadly road. You should be very serious about never, ever picking up another alcoholic drink! Commit to a sober life right now and get all the help you can. We are here for you.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome BellRene.

You will no doubt be feeling very fragile right now, especially with your break up. Sorry for what brings you here. Time will help a lot and you will get through this. We empathise, do not judge and wish you well.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Coming to SR is a great first step.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi🙂 good plan joining SR. There’s lots of support here.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support. Glad to be sober now for almost 2 days but scared of what's to come. I'm thankful I found this website.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bellrene! Welcome to SR. Sending you my support today!

Hey, I know it's not easy, but do your best to let go of the guilt and shame. Those emotions won't serve you well. Your responsibility is to accept the consequences for your actions. So accept the consequences - in fact, embrace them. But guilt and shame go beyond that. Let those emotions go. Push forward. Be positive. You've made an enormously courageous decision to improve your life and there is a great new life waiting for you.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Make a plan to stay sober. Write it down. Follow it daily,hourly,by the minute if you need to. Life is so much better without the shame,guilt,drama,ect...that comes from drinking once you've crossed the 'invisible line'. We are all like you and have been/still are where you are. You'll find nothing but support here. Welcome.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your story sounds quite similar to mine, at least the part about your boyfriend breaking up with you. I was in a very serious relationship with the women I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with. We were inseparable. We were both heavy drinkers, she'd be fun and happy, I would start that way, and then get mean.

After TOO MANY chances, she finally had enough and she walked out of my life. I was beyond crushed, and I knew I had nobody to blame but myself. I'm 28 days sober today, and I've used that horrible situation to fuel my recovery. I'm done hurting people, end of story for me.

It wasn't easy, the shame, guilt, anxiety, I was forced to FEEL these awful feelings. I wanted to drink them away so bad. I didn't. I made a plan, I have spent countless hours here, I've integrated fitness into my story, I've done things I've never done before, and 4 weeks today is the best feeling I've ever had.

I know, someday, I'll have a family. And I know, now, I can do it and be happy.

Use your feelings to motivate, not to drag you down. I picture my ex telling me she doesn't love me anymore, THAT feeling is worse then any hangover, and that's what my drinking resulted in.

Best of luck, one day at a time. You can do this!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To know that others can relate means so much to me. I can't stop crying today but being on here is what is keeping my feet on the ground
Old 10-16-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so very hard to stop and face the messes we've made. You can do this!

It sounds like you're ready to do this and you know you will always find support here.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BellRene View Post
To know that others can relate means so much to me. I can't stop crying today but being on here is what is keeping my feet on the ground
Stay with us, we ALL can relate to varying degrees.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. ....So glad you found us.

cry if you need to... scream or shout if you need to... but be kind to yourself. Its very early days and you will feel like you are on a rollercoaster. totally normal. Rest lots... eat well.... drink LOTS of water... sleep.... and post here whenever you want/need.
Picking up a drink will help nothing. Alcohol is your past... Sobriety and happiness is your future. Nobody will judge you here. We have all been there.
Sending you so much love and support. xxx Pebbles. xxxx
Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome. I relate to a lot of what you shared. Sending you support.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome. Reading what some of you have gone through and overcome doesn't make me feel so alone or like I have to hide anymore. This kind of support is what I've been missing. I will post again when I've made more progress and hopefully get to know some of you here
Old 10-16-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Every minute sober is progress...keep going...it gets better....
Old 10-16-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

When I first walked into the rooms of AA, I was scared and angry and confused. I didn't know what to do or where to go. But those AA folks told me to keep coming back, and so I did. In time I began to want what they had, and so I started doing what they do. Before I knew it, I was one of them, and today I am so grateful for that! It gets better, I promise. But it will take time, faith, and it will take action.

It does get easier, but of course it takes time. Just remember, you are not alone, and by all means keep coming back.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR BelleRene

D