Notices

Saturday Morning Misery

Old 10-14-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saturday Morning Misery

Today we had a bunch of friends over. A friend of mine from long ago, his wife, her daughters, one of whom is dating a friend of mine from not so long ago. A pile of laughter and joy in the form of seven wonderful humans coming over for brunch.

That was after spending a few hours reading in the early morning, playing with the baby, bringing the teenager to his job at the coffee shop, seeing off my mother-in-law on a trip.

We visited and laughed and caught up and goofed and shared stories and great food and had a wonderful time.

Then we went out to our lake house and I spent some time pulling the stairs up out of the dune because the storms of fall and winter are coming and the lake will take them soon if they're not protected. 500+lbs of heavy wood stairs had to be heaved and hauled and winched and manhandled up and out of harm's way.

Got that done, then had to head back out to the lake house later after my wife and baby came back into town, so I could pick up my surf board because we should have 11-footers tomorrow. Cleaned out the truck and now gonna do some dishes and clean up the kitchen. Probably settle down with book for a while after I pay some bills.

Woven through that story of a typical Saturday for me is the beauty of having a new baby, a new wife, a new lake house, a new life. One of responsibility and presence and gratitude and consciousness. One free from the misery that once typified a Saturday.

Such a far cry from waking with a pounding headache, or vomiting, or emerging from a blackout and shaking and feeling ill until I could find my way to a drink or two and 'take the edge off' only to feel mostly un-human for most of the day until heading to a party or a bar or just the liqour store by about this time in the early evening to repeat the process all over again.

Saturday Morning Misery is a thing of the past.... and now Saturdays are pretty wonderful.

Tomorrow it'll be early morning bird hunting with a friend, time spent with my wife and baby, then probably some surfing before going to see an experimental film created by two friends of mine.

Beats the heck out of spending another weekend drunk, miserable, blacked out, vomiting or waking up in jail.

This sobriety thing is all it's cracked up to be.

If you haven't joined on yet - today would be a fine day to start.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a wonderful Saturday! thank you for sharing!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Another gem from you, FreeOwl. I'm so happy for your wonderful new life.

I look back & don't understand how I clung to it for so long. It was pure misery in the end - I was trapped in a joyless life. Being free is glorious.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Another gem from you, FreeOwl. I'm so happy for your wonderful new life.

I look back & don't understand how I clung to it for so long. It was pure misery in the end - I was trapped in a joyless life. Being free is glorious.
Thank you!

I know.... it's insanity. It's just insanity. Two decades basically spent in a delusion. WOW.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for this Freeowl!

My Saturday was nowhere as eventful as yours, but I too had a moment of great bliss waking up refreshed on a sunny fall day, going to the market.
I relaxed at home for a while after and then took the dog out for a nice walk in and through town and met up with my husband (who had stayed at home to work) for a FroYo date.

Before, I would have either spent all Saturday at home feeling like hell, physically, emotionally and mentally. Or, if I hadn't been partying Friday night, I would have tried to meet up with friends for some afternoon (into late night) drinking, which would have ended up in a ruined Sunday.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds great FreeOwl

D