Notices

music hallucinations

Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

music hallucinations

I've been sober almost 5 days but last night I had this lil girl singing songs to me but not for very long. tonight again it is happening how long at a time do they go on and how many days. I thought my withdrawals were gone cause I had a pretty good day..but for some reason not this little girls voice.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Canterbury

I would hear snatches of music or what sounded like muffled conversations sometimes in detox, but not one particular voice and never very long.

I'm not qualified to offer you any advice.
Maybe it's worth checking in with a doctor?

D
Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At five days sober, you're at the tail end of physical withdrawal. Give yourself a few more days sober and see if it continues, and if so, see your doctor.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Cant,

I would be hyper vigilant...paranoid.

Movement, shadows, lights, everything...scared and irritatEd me.

The brain damage is real.

But, it got better and better.

Addiction is as fierce as it is patient.

It fights like hell to not be beaten, then it falls back into a state of waiting...yearning.

We are lucky we have this information these days.

Some folks now and then don't get this info.

They lose their minds probably before they fully ruin their body.

I have a coworker that seems to be slowly dieing before our eyes.

It seems nobody but me sees it.

But, then again...it could be my damaged brain imagining things.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
South Asian

I heard a piano playing in the distance. About Day 2. I woke up and went searching for where the music was coming from. My wife told me to let it play. This was good advice. In my experience after Day 5 things start getting much better. So hang in there and try and ignore or enjoy the singing. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I try not to alarm anyone with my posts but honestly I think hallucinations of any kind are serious enough to see a Dr about.

Best be safe than sorry?

D
Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah hallucinations are a serious problem. I got them before I was a drinker and have to take Olanzapine every night to prevent schizophrenia and to stop the symptoms. Don't really get them anymore but I still have to take the medication. I'd go see a Doctor if I was you because they can be dangerous.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I heard a trumpet following me around while detoxing from Klonopin. And I was at work...god only knows how I got through that week.

Agree with those above that it might be a good idea to check in with a doctor at this point.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How long did you drink for? Yes I agree, it's better to be safe than sorry. You should call a doctor. Maybe you can do a home detox? Seeing as you're already on day 5. But it would be best to get checked out. Hallucinations are no good. You could still be at risk for seizure or worse, even at Day 5. Best of luck. Congrats on quitting!

Old 10-14-2017, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Canterbury, I agree with others, go see a doctor.

And have you slept normally? In early recovery when I couldn't sleep properly I heard snippets of conversation in my head while I was laying half asleep in bed, but I never saw a doctor about it as the voices disappeared after a couple of nights.

I'm certainly not qualified to offer any medical advice, but I've read that people with certain sleep disorders sometimes suffer from auditory hallucinations (voices, conversations, music), so I'm just wondering if we ex-drinkers experience same kinds of problems in early recovery when our sleep patterns certainly are messed up.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to hear music a lot, and for some reason it was always Justin Bieber. I mean, I know I did a lot of horrid things to other people and myself when I was drinking. But nobody deserves that.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I try not to alarm anyone with my posts but honestly I think hallucinations of any kind are serious enough to see a Dr about.

Best be safe than sorry?

D

When I would drink super heavy I would always get auditory hallucinations on day give and like clockwork followed by full on hallucinations. It ended me in a psych ward twice. I would go see a doctor. It was the most terrifying thing I ever went through. I once hallucinated for 2 straight days. Horrible. I get anxiety even just thinking about it now.

Good luck
Old 10-15-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember seeing a documentary and the poor guy was drinking a pint of vodka a day they followed his story . when he eventually got to the clinic he disclosed that he was terrified of schizophrenia as he was hearing voices . The expert explained there was two ways to hear the voices 1 in your head or 2 with your ears . It turned out the fellow was hearing them in his head at which the expert concluded was part of his drinking .
That was the saddest drinking documentary I ever saw .He was only in his 20s too .
Old 10-15-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a lot of audio and visual hallucinations in early sobriety. It took quite a while for me to get well.

The movement thing that D122y mentioned above - ugh - that was awful. Fast movements that my eye caught caused mini-panics. I had to do a lot of PTSD work after I got sober.

I'm much better now, but I may have needed medications. I don't know, I refused to do it that way. Been there done that.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm day 4 sober and experiencing the same, 2 days ago I thought a truck must be outside with flashing lights on as my bedroom was flashing, I turned the lights on, tried with them off, still flashing of the light, thats now gone but I've had horrific / strange nightmares and also keep hearing music, my Mums here with me at the moment and I've got up in the night certain she's on the phone whispering to someone... I've felt I'm going insane but from all I can make out from people I've spoke to is it's normal in the early days but of course I'm no medical expert but I'm here in the same boat hearing the same things so hope that gives some comfort at least
Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

in my experience...

It took well over 1 year for things to really settle down, but they got better everyday. I could see and feel the growth everyday.

I would close my eyes sometimes and imaging that someone would turn on the lights. It was weird.

I don't recall ever hearing voices etc though. My weird experiences were pretty much all visual.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile

I remember hearing music after my second at home detox. It started at night, just after I tried to go to sleep. The music that I thought I was hearing was nothing I have ever heared before. It seemed like very unusual music.(Kinda not from this world) It lasted for about four or five nights the went away. I was never really scared of it because I knew my brain was playing tricks on me because of alcohol withdraw. I knew I was not actually hearing music,but I was thinking I was hearing music.You may want to see your doctor, but If you choose not too, try not to be too alarmed, It will soon pass.