Notices

Need advice from experience

Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had a lot of drinking buddies by the end. Most of them weren't helpful to my recovery.

My real friends were the ones who saw I had a problem and supported me.

My advice is to avoid the drinking biddies and the alcohol centered trips.

You'll only make yourself miserable - and at 9 days thats not what you want.

It doesn't mean the only thing we can do is sit at home a\face pressed to the window watching the world go by.

You have an opportunity to build a new, sober life - go do it!

D
Awesome! Thanks for the encouragement!!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm with you. I'm finally at 78 days and at first I thought my life would be over if I couldn't go out with my friends (all who drink a little too much). Now I just want to protect my sobriety. I've never gotten this far! I might still stop by the party but leave pretty quickly. I did finally tell this group that I am an alcoholic and that seems to take the pressure off. They are really good friends though.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hello76 View Post
I'm with you. I'm finally at 78 days and at first I thought my life would be over if I couldn't go out with my friends (all who drink a little too much). Now I just want to protect my sobriety. I've never gotten this far! I might still stop by the party but leave pretty quickly. I did finally tell this group that I am an alcoholic and that seems to take the pressure off. They are really good friends though.
Thanks 76! Congrats on the 78 days too!! That's Great!!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I eject anyone in my life who isn't positive for me. That includes family members. I have a one strike, zero tolerance rule..... , even when drinking I was a pretty prickly personality to be around.

Family is overrated and there's nothing wrong with distancing yourself. As for friends, reexamine and see if some of 'em aren't really frenemies.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've also found new sober friends at Aa. Never thought that would happen either but it did! Now I look forward to meetings but I did have to try a few different ones to see where I fit.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think we all worry about what people say about us and what they say when we aren't around. I was super sensitive to this in early recovery. I got a lot better with some time.

One really good thing I heard in AA meetings is, "What people think about me is none of my business." That's a genius statement right there - even if I care, what can I do about it? Nothing.

Really, nothing I can do do make others accept my decisions. My family continued to offer me drinks for at least ten years after I told them I was an alcoholic and had quit. It's just what drinkers do. "Here, drink with us!"

As far as friends, nothing I can do about them and their actions either. I don't spend time with people who put me down, though.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

By the 'end' my real friends were concerned about me. My drinking 'friends',including my exgf, vanished and that's fine.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank You all for the great advice and support !! Much appreciated!!

Today I took the boat out fishing alone and had a blast. Just taking notice to nature alone was amazing, I noticed things I would never really notice when drinking.

No calls from friends since I broke the news yesterday but thats ok with me. Gonna move on with my life and stay sober and enjoy all the things ive missed out on for years.

Thanks again!!

Brighten
Old 10-15-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!!! we are all here for you ! Keep doing what you're doing!