Notices

Day 49 Sober

Old 10-11-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 49 Sober

So tomorrow will be day 50 since I had my last drink. I met up this evening with a close friend who was drinking. I said how I am so glad I got sober and on a good path in life. He said I need to learn how to control my drinking and will not overcome my addiction until I don't let it control me anymore and not be afraid of my drinking habits. This made no sense to me, I personally feel and expressed this, that with addiction, abstinence is the best choice. What are your thoughts on addiction: can you learn to deal with alcohol on a safe level after you were addicted? I would rather not find out. I was average 8-10 beers a day, sometimes more or less, got very depressed and high anxiety and was around unhealthy people. I was miserable, mind, body and soul. I don't ever want to be like that again. And I am only 35. I take one day at a time
Old 10-11-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know what is the right thing for you. Nothing else matters.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your friend sounds exactly like I sounded, when I was still deep in the throws of alcoholism. I would find every different way to talk around the issue, to find an excuse.

If I had been able to find a way to control the alcohol, I would have. There is no way. We wouldn't have a problem with drinking, if there was a way. No, for me, sobriety is the only way.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Xtina - Oh, how I wanted to believe I could use willpower to just have 'a few' now and then. I tried everything over the years, and as tnek said, there is no way. If there was, we wouldn't be sitting here talking things over. You're 35 and wiser than I was - I kept going, trying to control it - and ended up with a ruined life. Your 50 days are to be treasured - please stick to what you've been doing - and be proud.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could never have just 1 or 2 drinks personally. Although there were times were I was at social events and it wasn't the place to get "hammered", I would sneak off to the bar and put back as much as I could and then take 1 back to the table and make it look like I was just nursing that 1 drink.

I can't speak for any other alcoholic, but moderation is not in my dictionary and that's where the problem lies. It's all or none.

Congrats on your days sober!!! That's excellent!!

Brighten
Old 10-11-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by XtinaM82 View Post
What are your thoughts on addiction: can you learn to deal with alcohol on a safe level after you were addicted?
No. Many have tried and almost all have failed. Those are odds that I don't want to test.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

What are your thoughts on addiction: can you learn to deal with alcohol on a safe level after you were addicted?
I tried for 20 years and I couldn't do it.
In the end, I found a life sober I couldn't even dream of when I was drinking.

I see absolutely no reason to go back to drinking, ever.

D
Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish it wasn't true.....one is too many for me if I want a good life.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You know what will work! Pretty admirable to choose the sure thing for yourself.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First, congrats on 50 days, that is fantastic. I tested the moderation theory many times, and it never worked. Life is so much better sober.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Xtina - Oh, how I wanted to believe I could use willpower to just have 'a few' now and then. I tried everything over the years, and as tnek said, there is no way. If there was, we wouldn't be sitting here talking things over. You're 35 and wiser than I was - I kept going, trying to control it - and ended up with a ruined life. Your 50 days are to be treasured - please stick to what you've been doing - and be proud.

Thank you! I tried for a long time to moderate as well, and i still got progressively worse and worse. One day at a time I am doing now and not letting negativity affect my sobriety =)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
First, congrats on 50 days, that is fantastic. I tested the moderation theory many times, and it never worked. Life is so much better sober.

Thank you! I agree
Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree! I never want to try and find out and spiral out of control again.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very well said, I couldn't agree with you more
Old 10-12-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your feedback and positive vibes!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know I cannot pull that off. Every time I tried that again it led to the same place only worse. I would keep the 50 days and run with it
Old 10-12-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No sir, no can do. At zero drinks I would absolutely be able to control my drinking. But once I had two or more in me, all I wanted to do is get hammered! I’d be looking for total destruction, why else would I touch this stuff?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Quote: He said I need to learn how to control my drinking and will not overcome my addiction until I don't let it control me anymore and not be afraid of my drinking habits.

I am on day 4 today, just woke up in the middle of the night, can't sleep almost 4am now. That sounds like the devil bottle itself speaking in tongues. -- I personally cannot control it and completely afraid of it.

Last edited by LuluBread; 10-15-2017 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Trying to figure out the quote thing