Notices

6 days sober and binged last night what to expect

Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 days sober and binged last night what to expect

Hi, I'm new to the group and fear that I totally screwed up. I was on day 6 sober and couldn't take the shaking, sleeplessness, nervousness, blank brain, etc and drunk- a lot last night
. Will this restart my detox process? Or will I just have this terrible hangover for a few days and hopefully get some sleep soon?
Last time I did this it took two weeks to sleep and I fear I postponed that. I was getting so close to feeling somewhat functional.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How will I know if someone responds? I'll figure it out. Just want to get sober.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You'll be okay. Just hang in there.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Every time you go back you take another risk that this time might be your last chance, waxfruit.

Here's a good article about Kindling.

I hope you will stay away from it this time. It's just a bit uncomfortable in the first couple weeks, but if we did it you can too. Welcome to the site.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I hope that you get through this detox and you can make the decision for this to be your last Day 1.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you both for your response. I'm in tears. I've been at this since February and I'm glad I came on here and that someone said something. :-)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The article about Kindling did not come up, but I will look it up.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
South Asian

Each passing hour you will feel better. Try to stop your mind from going to places which are unhelpful. I do it when going through withdrawal. Expecting the worst. Worrying about the symptoms and what will come next and when I will feel better. Beating myself up about what I was doing to myself. Distract yourself. Stay positive. A one night binge is not bad. My last three binges have been 10 days, 7 days and 4 days. I am now 15 days sober. Feeling much better. Lots of support here. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Waxfruit. Sorry you are suffering. Take it one day at a time. You will feel better. And well done on starting to post here. It really does help.
Support to you.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

@waxfruit - I was an alcoholic that drank every night 8-15 beers religiously for 3 years. In the 3 years I was drinking every day I tried quitting probably 20 times. I can't say what will work for you or how long it will take you to get out of the initial rut of sobriety but what I can say is what happened to me.

When I first quit I was done using alcohol as medication for my anxiety and done with the self loathing regret. I finally decided to start being a positive and healthy person (beer made me gain 85 lbs in 3 years...). Not to mention the alcohol causes this self loathing cycle because while you're drunk you feel high and good and then once it wears off you hate yourself and ask why did I do this? It also just amplifies whatever it was you were medicating.

The first ~15 or so days for me was pretty hard. I'd say the shakiness, complete lack in energy and can't get out of bed depression took about 15 days to go away or reduce in severity. After about 30 days I was starting to actually feel really good & happy again actually able to deal with my depression & anxiety without just patching it temporarily in a vicious cycle.

Some nights where I really consider relapsing I just get non-alcoholic beer or sugary soda like Pepsi and that helps me personally stop the cravings by at least 80%.

What helped me my latest detox a couple months ago was eating snickers bars and soda for the first couple weeks to get past probably 80% of the physical withdrawal affects. Alcohol has lots of sugar & calories in it, if you stop drinking your body is going to get shaky/low energy because it's used to thousands of liquid calories, carbs and sugars every day. If you switch alcohol with pepsi & snickers for a couple weeks when you start getting really shaky/tired you can drink a pepsi and eat a snickers and at least for me it fixed the shakes and also killed the cravings believe it or not.

My latest motivation is losing 22 lbs the last 2 months and working out at the gym every day!

Just remember that a relapse doesn't erase your success to sobriety. It's just a road block. It's what you do after relapsing that makes the difference. I believe in you!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you - I totally forgot about the candy! @calvinm16 congrats on the weight loss. I too put on 70lbs and have lost most of it just through detoxing every weeek. It's the old but true saying, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.
I already feel connected to each of you and have been in sobriety, 20 years ago and had four years sober, so I've been on a long run.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 10-11-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went through this routine for about 3 years. Trust me when they say it's progressive and will get worse!
Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Forget the last 24 hours and focus on the next. Keep it simple and don't worry about it. You already started great by posting on here, and on your way to good sober days ahead. You have everyone's support!
Old 10-11-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waxfruit View Post
The article about Kindling did not come up, but I will look it up.
Weird, sorry.

Try this pdf:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf
Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you- @bimi
I skimmed a bit and will finish reading this eve.
Seems to me I should probably see. Dr.
To be honest, I felt like I was having or going to have a heart attack yesterday. Between my hands shaking and feeling like my heart was going to jump out of my chest scared me. I also don't live in a supportive environment by any means and am working my way out of this stressful mess which I'm sure adds to the detox symptoms. And every time I do detox, my symptoms are very different. Thus, time to see a doc.
Unfortunately, when I started this in February and that was when I was drinking daily and had gotten almost thirty days, I was feeling great. Had a good solid week of great sleep. Idk.... it simply reminds me that I will feel better and I need a support system. Probably a meeting would be good and continue to come on here.
I am ever so grateful for everyone's response because I feel and am very alone. I had to go to the extreme and lose it all.
Hope I'm not rambling. I've been in my head all week.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not to mention that I couldn't put together a sentence yesterday and not sure what tomorrow is going to bring . Forgive me now if I cannot communicate come
Tomorrow. Boy, I really need not think about that right now.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I found reading on this site and AA meetings to be good for getting me out of my own head...

And yeah, I couldn't put two thoughts together for at least a couple weeks.

If you're worried about this detox, absolutely call a doctor.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Putting a sentence together or a thought. Sheesh... and since I've been on here, I've been reading everyone's stories. It's keeping my mind off things.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Do you have some food in the house? Are you eating and drinking a bunch of water? How about chamomile tea, or some calming tea?

I listened to only classical instrumental music in the first few months, it soothed me without any triggering lyrics. You can go to Pandora and listen to their "Classical Instrumental" channel for free - or you can create your own channel. I did everything possible to calm/quiet my mind.