Notices

Feeling negative

Old 10-10-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling negative

Having a lot of negative feelings today, some justified and circumstantial, some not.

Feeling tired, angry, frustrated, irritated, resentful, sad, annoyed etc etc.

It's not directed towards anyone in particular more circumstances beyond my control.

I just wanted to put it in words and see if that would help me to release it.

Hard to turn the negativity around sometimes ya know?
28 days, hanging in there tho
Old 10-10-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

28 days is fantastic!

And, sometimes the negative stuff is just 'there'. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!
Old 10-10-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 28 days, Mandy!

I know the feeling. If I don't exercise on a regular basis I get "blah" really fast. I like finding sound effects, like from Youtube....relaxing, meditation type stuff.

Light candles, maybe pamper yourself with a bubble bath or treat yourself to a massage/pedicure?

And one of my favorite quotes: "Never underestimate the healing power of playing your favorite music on full blast while dancing around the house like an idiot"

Hope you feel better soon! Stay close to SR
Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mandy, well done on 28 days 👏
I know what you mean about feeling negative I have had some bad days as I'm sure everyone on here has. The thing I'm slowly starting to experience is that when I get a bad day I don't instantly think "I want a drink." It will take time to adjust and realise that stress is part of everyday life that everyone gets, we just thought the way to deal with it was by drinking. I hope you feel calmer soon, your doing great👍
Old 10-10-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Whenever I am feeling alot of negative emotions I do something nice and unexpected for someone else. It takes me out of my selfness and into another person's world of need. It gives me a sense of purpose.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all, fortunately I don't want to drink like I used to to deal with the negative crap. But I guess I need to learn some new coping strategies to deal with my emotions. Sometimes it's just hard to FEEL if that makes sense. I'm a little overwhelmed with it since I'm so used to numbing all of that away.
It's all very new I guess. Doing my best, will try some self care tonight. I did exercise today for the first time in a long time.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Exercise sounds great! Bring out some of your workout clothes and put on some tunes!
Got any soundtracks?
Then "Dance around the house like an idiot!"
Old 10-10-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

28 days is wonderful Mandy! I've heard a lot of people say that it's normal to have a hard time with bad feelings when we're newly sober. Great advice here, I especially liked the one about the bubble bath, since I just got out of one. Nice feeling! I was feeling bad tonight, too. Squirrley is how I was thinking of it. Not so much negative as fearful and uncomfortable.
Took a nice bubble bath, got a big glass of juice, came here and am leaving to go to an AA meeting in a bit. I'm not all better, but I'm not as bad off as I was when I got home.
Hugs to you, and hang in there!
Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 28 days! I was feeling very negative today too, among other things. I had a bit of a cry earlier and wrote down how I was feeling. Feeling better now and the bubble bath sounds like a really good idea!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 28 days! When I am feeling negative, I try to remember that whatever I’m upset about probably won’t matter in a few months or a year from now. I try to remind myself of all the good things in my life. It sounds cheesy but practicing gratitude daily really helps! Lot of other good suggestions here too.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mandy!
Congrats on your 28 days!! That's awesome!!
You're definitely not alone with those feelings. Going through similar feelings myself at 7 days.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm 3 weeks sober and it's been tiring. The first week or so I was great on a few hours of sleep, but now I'm really tired and irritable. I drink a lot of coffee.

All of my negative feelings are enhanced, but more fleeting. The good thing is that positives are more noticeable as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope today is better day Mandy

D
Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I Hope so Dee, I'm awfully tired today my daughter did not sleep well last night and I have a lot of work ahead of me today. Lord give me strength and coffee lol