Notices

New AA meeting (first one in a very long time)

Old 10-09-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New AA meeting (first one in a very long time)

It’s in less than an hour. Although I’m looking forward to going, I’m getting some anxiety at the thought of walking in. A lot of “what if’s”. I know this is detrimental to my recovery, but it’s so scary thinking about going. I’m going to regardless of how uncomfortable I am. I just want to get the initial walking in out of the way.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to my first meeting in a VERY long time and I'm very anxious about. Try to remember this will be helpful to you and your recovery. From my past experiences I'm always anxious at the beginning of the meeting, but relieved and feel 100% better about staying sober
Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope41 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to my first meeting in a VERY long time and I'm very anxious about. Try to remember this will be helpful to you and your recovery. From my past experiences I'm always anxious at the beginning of the meeting, but relieved and feel 100% better about staying sober
Thank you! I remember being anxious but then getting comfortable pretty quick. I’m taking an extended lunch to go to this meeting so that stresses me out too. It’s not that big of a deal though for me to take a longer lunch. I have all week to make up the extra 15 minutes.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're going. You will feel so much better after! Keep us updated about how the meeting went! I'm terrified to go to the meeting today....you have given me courage.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
I’m going to regardless of how uncomfortable I am.
That is good news. Unfortunately, getting sober means being uncomfortable for most of us...but it's only temporary. I hope you have a good meeting.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the main thought i had walkin into my first AA meeting was fear of the unknown- i had no idea what i was walkin into and no idea what life without alcohol would be like.
all the "what ifs" were negative. at the time i didnt look at the other what ifs.
what if this helps me stop drinking for good?
what if this stops me hatin myself?
what if this helps me stop hatin life?
what if this helps me become a better person?

i was met with "welcome. glad ya made it back."

LOVE AND FEAR AS OPPOSITES
All these failings generate fear, a soul-sickness in its own right.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 49
"Fear knocked at the door; faith answered; no one was there." I don't know to whom this quote should be attributed, but it certainly indicates very clearly that fear is an illusion. I create the illusion myself.
I experienced fear early in my life and I mistakenly thought that the mere presence of it made me a coward. I didn't know that one of the definitions of "courage" is "the willingness to do the right thing in spite of fear." Courage, then, is not necessarily the absence of fear.

have a good meeting, sinderos.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it goes well, Sinderos.