SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/417162-hello.html)

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 07:34 AM

Hello

Hi,
This is my first post and I just wanted to say hello to everyone here. I am very recently sober (if I can even say that yet) 6 days in. I struggle every day and especially every night. Im going through withdrawal as we speak. Im hoping to find some like minded people and read of their experiences and learn from you. Please bare with me as this is all new to me and im not even sure how really to go about this.
Thanks for listening to my first post!!

Sinderos 10-09-2017 07:41 AM

Welcome!!! 6 days is an awesome accomplishment. I’m on my first day today. I drank yesterday but not my drink of choice and I didn’t get drunk. Since I didn’t drink like I normally do yesterday, I had withdrawals last night and am dragging today so I know how you feel.

This will pass and you’ll be feeling much better soon. Have you considered trying AA? I’m going to my first meeting (in a long time) at lunch today. I know I can’t do this alone.

Congrats on 6 days and welcome!!

theVman31 10-09-2017 07:46 AM

Welcome.
Your off to a good start.
Keep reading and posting and get ready for those cravings...
Take care.

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 07:47 AM

Thank you!
I have thought about meetings for a long time but have been in such denial with that (im not an alcoholic mindset) that I havent gone. I am looking into it though. Ya the past 6 days has been crazy. Especially with friends and family thinking im nuts for trying to quit. I know I gotta get certain people out of my life unfortunately in order to change my ways. Yes I cant wait for this withdrawal to end. I havent slept much due to the mass insomnia im dealing with. Im used to passing out rather than sleeping.

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by theVman31 (Post 6630833)
Welcome.
Your off to a good start.
Keep reading and posting and get ready for those cravings...
Take care.

Thank You. Yep the cravings are a killer!!

graciepearl 10-09-2017 07:50 AM

Welcome !!:grouphug:

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 07:51 AM

Thanks very much :)

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by graciepearl (Post 6630842)
Welcome !!:grouphug:

Thanks very much!!

Anna 10-09-2017 08:16 AM

Welcome!

Look around and you will see lots of different ideas for recovery and you will find lots of support. It's best to not listen to families and friends opinions on your alcoholism, because others just don't get it.

berryblue 10-09-2017 09:04 AM

Hey brighten. 6 days is a great start. I’m recently new to this forum and it’s been really helpful.

Welcome.

biminiblue 10-09-2017 09:07 AM

Welcome! Almost a week! Without alcohol! Woohoo!

Here's a link to the "Class of October 2017" if you'd like to talk with others who are quitting this month, too. I spent a lot of time with my class when I was new to this site.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ad-pt-1-a.html

least 10-09-2017 09:09 AM

Welcome to the family. :)

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 6630888)
Welcome!

Look around and you will see lots of different ideas for recovery and you will find lots of support. It's best to not listen to families and friends opinions on your alcoholism, because others just don't get it.

Thank You and you're right. Unfortunately for me right now i'm surrounded by those that are trying to bring me down. I'm wondering what the best way is to dis-associate myself from people ive known my whole life.

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 6630959)
Welcome to the family. :)

Thanks very much!!

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=biminiblue;6630955]Welcome! Almost a week! Without alcohol! Woohoo!

Awesome thanks so much!! I will definitely be checking the class out!!

BrightenMeUp 10-09-2017 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by berryblue (Post 6630951)
Hey brighten. 6 days is a great start. I’m recently new to this forum and it’s been really helpful.

Welcome.

Great to hear!! Cant wait to dig in on some good info!! Thanks

soberandhonest 10-09-2017 09:40 AM

Great job on 6 days of sobriety! That is an awesome start.

If there was one thing that I would recommend that you do to significantly improve your likelihood of success it would be to make a recovery plan. I recovery plan details all of the various things that you are going to commit to in order to achieve abstinence and recovery from alcoholism. Here is a link to a really great thread on the topic: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html.

BlissWithin 10-09-2017 12:05 PM

Thats an awesome start. Hope you can get double digits soon. My withdrawals were the worst thing ever. I recommend you to stay close to SR as you can.

Great work on 6 days! :)

saoutchik 10-09-2017 12:41 PM

Welcome to SR Brighten and congratulationson 6 days and resisting those cravings - displacement activities, basically anything that requires attention, are really good for avoiding/distracting cravings.

Friends and family can be really tough to deal with but if you tell them you really badly want to quit, and why, then they ought to respect that. Those that blatantly disregard your intentions do not mean you well and are worth avoiding (easier said than done but it is for your future health and happiness)

Good luck!

SonnyD 10-09-2017 01:05 PM

First meeting ever in 2 hr 55 minutes. Nervous, scared and etc.