Notices

Down to One Bottle A Day of Chardonney.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Down to One Bottle A Day of Chardonney.

I tried to do cold turkey to no avail.. I drank a bottle mid morning, took a nap until 1 pm, packed my dinner for the night shift and off I went to work via Uber. I was completely focused but would not risk a DUI. I am a functioning alcoholic, sadly... I have never really hit rock bottom and am very focused even with a bottle of wine in my system, sadly.

I am a two bottle a day girl. I AM NOT SOBER, I am weaning myself off. Last night after my shift, I made a cup of chamolile tea and popped a Benadryl. There were plenty of grocery stores open where I could grab a bottle, here in LA, at 11 pm, but I didn't. I just drove straight home. I slept like a baby. Woke up really refreshed as I had less alcohol in my system. I know this is baby steps, but I am really trying to regain my health. I want to live after 40 plus years of working to reap the benefits of retirement.

Hoping by the end of the week, I can wean myself off to nothing.

Thanks you to all the support in this group. I am not strong enough yet to give up the bottle entirely but I plan on it within the week.

Please don't judge me, I am trying..
Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are strong enough, but it's your decision.

I did a taper/weaning too. BUT, I gave myself three days. And I went from 12 units to two on the first day, then one unit (one drink) on day two. On day three I had a half unit, or 0.5 ounces of alcohol.

Why do you think you need a whole week, and what exactly is the plan? Tomorrow one glass, two? You need an actual Plan.

I'm sorry you already went back on that word to yourself to make tomorrow Day One.

See how it tricks you?

I think tomorrow CAN be Day One.

You have to actually quit, to quit, ya know?
Old 10-08-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Support to you.
Tapering isn't easy but it did work for me on one occasion. I did a lot of reading about tapering.....its really important to make up a strict schedule and not prolong it too long. Withdrawal is unpredictable though so get some support with it if you can. It might also help if you post here daily. I am fairly new to sobriety but I am sure you will get lots of advice on staying sober from the experienced recovered folks on SR.
Let us know how you get on.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hopefully you quit within the week... Tapering didn't work for me. I kept making excuses to slow my taper or stay at x beers a day...
Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I couldn't taper as can't control it. once I start drinking I don't want to stop so easier to just go cold turkey.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

No judging, Lee. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope that you are able to stick with it. Abstinence is worth the hard work.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep up the good work
Old 10-08-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep at it. Here when you need us.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hugs and welcome lee, no judgement here! Read and post and learn. Maybe join the October class for support from other people quitting this month? I also finds it helps me every morning to make my commitment in writing on the 24 hour recovery thread. You want to quit and you're taking steps towards doing it, and the great thing is you're not alone!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep trying Lee you CAN do this!
Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Like Darkling, I'm pretty new at this sobriety thing so my experience could be different.. BUT Like you, I drank and functioned. I drank in the mornings, at work, at home, even in the middle of the night when I woke with drinking related insomnia. (to get myself back to sleep) Tapering didn't work for me. If I only had one bottle of wine in a day, it wouldn't have been enough feel it. I would find a way to get more. Stopping completely was the only way I could hope to achieve what I have now. I've got 5 weeks and visiting this place daily has kept me going. Keep us updated and I second the suggestion of joining the October class.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

IME and IMO - we think we are functioning well when we are drinking alcoholically - usually, that is not at all the case as others see it. At minimum....we aren't doing our best at anything. That lie was one of many things that kept me drinking a long time- I (kinda) convinced myself I was doing just fine. Nope.

I do not believe in tapering. Cold turkey was hard and I was very sick for a few weeks, and gradually over the months that came (I am at 19+ now) I healed. Tapering would have been putting off the inevitable - forever- for me.

Perhaps now is a good time for IRL support? AA is my path and there are other choices.

Best to you for making a permanent choice to be sober- ASAP.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know how long you've been drinking, but quitting cold turkey like some have suggested can be dangerous. It's not opinion, it's fact. My friend just died doing that. Of course, he drank daily for many years.

If tapering doesn't work for you, seek medical help.

Best wishes and good job so far.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

of course going cold turkey can be dangerous and one should always seek medical advice.

However, tapering isn't an effective way for many. Most of us lose control or the ability to make effective decisions after the first drink so tapering by definition won't work. It's just putting off the inevitable imo and ime.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you SR Peeps for the kind words and not Judging. It is still a sober Monday. I am anxious and edgy and trying to do laundry while sober when I was already lit on wine last week trying this. It is very hard! This afternoon, I take the dogs to the park..there is an AA group of senior ladies there that I can connect with. I have not been there in a year as this ex-relationship of mine took me under with him. He is an active alcoholic, also functioning.

I think the problem with wine is there are no warnings that it is just as deadly as hard liquor. People say...drink like the French do.

I am trying hard to stay sober... I was edgy yesterday...wanted to grab a bottle at the stores here in LA, that are 24/7 open, but I didn't.. I popped a Benadryl again with a cup to chamolile tea to enhance. The worst part about not being able to sleep is the maddening insomnia.. I did sleep for a good 6 hours with only one bottle of wine in my system from way earlier in the day. It metabolized. I am actively trying to taper off. I know it does not work for everybody, but I am strong willed and determined to wean myself off in a week.
I am also reading Running With Scissors, a great book by Augustine Burroughs who was an active alcoholic, sexually abused, gay who has been through many rehabs. Great reading!

The hardest part is finding things to do with your time while staying sober For now, this afternoon in LA, I am sober...Unknown what tomorrow will bring, butI am trying.. This forum is a great help.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're continuing to try to cut down on your drinking. I hope things go as you expect and that you will be sober in a week.

I have read Running With Scissors and loved it.

We have a great book list if you are interested in reading:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 10-09-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to "The hardest part is finding things to do with your time while staying sober." Uh-huh. I remember all the little triggers that used to come up for me when I first stopped drinking: omg, boredom makes me feeling drinking?! Anxiety?! Anger?! Warm days?! Five o'clock?! Knitting?!

You'll find out just how creative you can be when you decide not to drink and have time on your hands!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, I hope the tapering works out for you.
I tried many times and failed miserably