Notices

Finally time to ask for the help of others

Old 10-08-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally time to ask for the help of others

Hi all,

So this is my first post. My name is Mike and I am 35. I am married with 3 kids.

I have been struggling with alcohol since I was about 17. Usual story...I can't stop once I start. I am really sick and tired of blacking out which inevitably leads to poor decision making & inexcusable behaviour. This is followed by 3-4 days of anxiety, dread and shame.

I don't drink daily however when I do drink I'm not happy until I'm drunk. I have been fortunate that I haven't hurt myself or others yet.

I had several months sober a few years back but felt boring....After a while I always seem to forget what a piece of dirt I am when I drink and end up going back. Hopefully being part of this forum will help me and keep me accountable whilst offering a place to share with others.

Hope someone can offer some advice or just make me feel welcome.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-08-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story is similar to so many of us here. You are in a good place. Just check in often. Some great people on this forum.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, sounds pretty familiar.

Lucky for you that you know you can do it. I went back after some long-term sobriety and what a surprise!! The same exact results! More misery!

Glad you joined us, pull up a keyboard.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,
Welcome!
This is where I started when I first got clean and sober.
This is a wonderful, supportive group of alcoholics and addicts who want nothing more than to help you on your way to sobriety.
Stick around
Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Haydentree View Post
Your story is similar to so many of us here. You are in a good place. Just check in often. Some great people on this forum.
Thanks Haydentree
Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Welcome, sounds pretty familiar.

Lucky for you that you know you can do it. I went back after some long-term sobriety and what a surprise!! The same exact results! More misery!

Glad you joined us, pull up a keyboard.
Thanks Biminiblue
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingL0st View Post
Hi Mike,
Welcome!
This is where I started when I first got clean and sober.
This is a wonderful, supportive group of alcoholics and addicts who want nothing more than to help you on your way to sobriety.
Stick around
Thanks a lot FL
Old 10-08-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Mike!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mike, welcome
Old 10-08-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

Hi Mike. Welcome.
Originally Posted by Mick283 View Post
I have been struggling with alcohol since I was about 17. Usual story...I can't stop once I start.
Somehow I can relate. I could have easily typed this, except I held off until the ripe old age of 18. Don't feel like the lone ranger, you fit right in!

Originally Posted by Mick283 View Post
This is followed by 3-4 days of anxiety, dread and shame.
The good news is that you never have to experience that again...unless of course you want to.

More good news, the longer I am sober, the less boring life is. In fact I have found quite the opposite to be true. Repetitive episodes of starting drinking and then not being able to stop...now that was boring. The same story over and over again, like the movie Ground Hog Day.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mick and welcome.
Good place to be and you will get all the help and support you could ask for here.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can understand. Things seem boring at first, but you now have time to pursue passions that drinking takes away. Pick up a book, learn an instrument, take a class, cook something a bit beyond your skill level or comfort zone, go hiking, call a friend or loved one you haven’t spoken to in a while, tidy up or decorate your house, go for a drive, volunteer, go people watching in public, or just sit and soak in life. It’s good when you’re fully present.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
Welcome aboard, Mike!
Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
Hi Mike, welcome
Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Hi Mike. Welcome.

Somehow I can relate. I could have easily typed this, except I held off until the ripe old age of 18. Don't feel like the lone ranger, you fit right in!

The good news is that you never have to experience that again...unless of course you want to.

More good news, the longer I am sober, the less boring life is. In fact I have found quite the opposite to be true. Repetitive episodes of starting drinking and then not being able to stop...now that was boring. The same story over and over again, like the movie Ground Hog Day.
Thanks Nez......a life without fear and anxiety sounds great 👍🏻
Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Hi Mick and welcome.
Good place to be and you will get all the help and support you could ask for here.
Thanks C
Old 10-08-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by axeman5971 View Post
I can understand. Things seem boring at first, but you now have time to pursue passions that drinking takes away. Pick up a book, learn an instrument, take a class, cook something a bit beyond your skill level or comfort zone, go hiking, call a friend or loved one you haven’t spoken to in a while, tidy up or decorate your house, go for a drive, volunteer, go people watching in public, or just sit and soak in life. It’s good when you’re fully present.
Thanks axeman
Old 10-08-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mr

That sounds familiar Mike. Glad you joined us.
Dont be afraid to ask for and accept help.
See you around.
Vinny
Old 10-08-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Mike! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,

Welcome to SR! I think most of us found this site feeling exactly as you do right now. It took me until I was 45 to finally stop drinking for good.

I also have three kids, and I work full time. I used to feel that I had earned and needed that drink at the end of the day to unwind. The problem was it was never just one drink, and whatever current thing I was trying to unwind from was still there the next day and then I felt crappy dealing with it.

I have a little over 21 months sober, and my life has become so much more manageable. I am a better mom, wife, and employee. My kids are now 14, almost 13 and 10, and I am able to take them wherever they need to go, and set a positive example especially during those teenage years.

The first few days/weeks are a little tough, but sobriety is so worth it. Join us on the 24 hour thread, it is a great place to check in each day and commit to another 24 hours sober. Also, join the October of 2017 class, you will find the support of others who have also stopped drinking this month.

You can do this, and I am looking forward to seeing you on here!!