Notices

feeling very blessed

Old 10-07-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling very blessed

Hey SR Family,
I can't say if it's being blessed or very lucky, although I'm leaning more for the blessed side.
34 plus years ago I got 2 DWI's. Back then I also did a lot of drugs, heck, I grew up in the 70's that's what we did. Anyway, I went into rehab and quit everything. But I also said back then that my problem was drugs not alcohol (silly boy). I stayed clean for around 5 years. I think it started with having a margarita every now and then, everything was good. One day after working outside in the Texas heat I thought a nice cold beer sounded good. I did good for a long time with just having a couple here and there with an occasional binge weekend. Slowly I started drinking every day, just 1 or 2 at first, then 3 or 4 and before long I was drinking 6-8 beers every night, Fri thru Sunday it was no limit. I have to say it's been the last 5-6 years that I was drinking heavy.
May 5, 2017 I got my 3rd DWI. I basically fell asleep in a drive through lane of a fast food place. Police were called, they woke me up gave me a field sobriety test and I failed. At the station they gave me a breath test, the cop said I blew .10, I was charged with Felony DWI. Possible sentence was up to 10 years in prison.
Thursday I celebrated 5 months sober.
I've had a few court proceeding over the last few month, first one I was offered ten years probation, second 1 I was offered 2 years probation and I would have to do 30 days in jail because it was a felony DWI. My lawyer said we don't want to take this plea yet.
Since then I have told myself that no matter what happens I will be ok, GOD will take care of me.
Yesterday I went to court, while sitting there I saw 1 guy get 10 years probation and 30 days in jail plus a couple thousand dollar fine for felony DWI. Yes the palms of my hands were sweating. I still told myself GOD would take care of me no matter where I was, even if it was in jail. My lawyer took me in the hallway, put his had on my shoulder and said it will be alright, he told me to sit and wait for him. When he came back he said the DA offered 2 years probation with the felony being dropped to a misdemeanor. I received 2 years probation,$1000 fine $400 court cost. I also have to do 80 hours community service , I'll have to get a occupational drivers license and continue with the interlock in my vehicle for the next 2 years. but I don't have to do any jail time.
I have a wife (don't know how she's put up with me for the last 32 years), 2 beautiful daughters, a great son-in-law and a 1 year old grand daughter,all give me more support than I deserve.
I know that if I have 1 more drink I take the chance of losing everything, I can't take that chance.
I feel very blessed and humbled where I am at this moment in my life.
Along with my family I want to thank my SR family for being with me the last 5 months. Dee, Sunflower, Weeve and others, I couldn't have done this without you. 5 months isn't a long time but it's a great start.

Rainman
Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad things worked out better than you feared RainMan

D