Notices

Day 12: Just Sharing

Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12: Just Sharing

Just wanted to share that I beat down a demon tonight to make it through day 12. This was alumni band weekend at UF. Much talk during this event centers around alcohol. Even some pregame traditions and attending tailgating, where drinking is always the only focus. And after all this, you tend to be very tired and physically exhausted, which leads to the desire to calm it down with a drink.

I am happy to say that I was able to fully participate in everything, without drinking, and am feeling good enough to sit here and type this, where as in my past, I would be passed out by now and probably just finished an argument or 2. Do I think I missed out on anything? Yes, a lot of bad stuff. I saw people being helped out of the game because they could barely walk without help. Been there, done that. I've seen people so drunk, they never made it to the game from tailgating. Been there, done that. This was far better, but I will say that it actually amazed me how much focus of the day was spent talking about booze and of course, drinking it.

Having made it through that, I know that I can make it through most anything that has been traditionally full of drinking. At the end of the day I just look back and ask myself if I really missed anything, and the answer is no. And I have a lot more self respect. Thanks for reading. I'm sure there are others like me. Football & tailgating is big in the south.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yipppie!!! Way to go
Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent, bobdrop! It's not easy to resist that kind of temptation-I attended UF and it is quite a drinking culture there. Keep it up and stay strong; sobriety is so worth it.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it trough Bob.

If I can suggest something tho - you're not invincible or inoculated now - many's a time I got through something really hard - said 'well now I can get through anything' - and drank again shortly after cos I let my guard down.

Stay vigilant.

D
Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job getting through

You might like these links & articles

https://aspiritualevolution.net/2015...lic-horsecrap/

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...alcoholic.html (The Phenomenon of “FOMO” and the Alcoholic)

Something Dee74 often says about hanging back in favor of building sober muscles is one of the best if not the best advice I or anyone could give someone in early recovery

Myself I dropped a whole heap of 'friends' & stayed away from places where people were drinking ie gatherings, christmas parties and the like, recovery was already hard enough I didn't want to be around alcohol and pretend I was ok because I wasn't

By hanging back I started the healing process (rebuilding my life away from my old life) I started reading getting back in touch with who I was before the drink took over

When I did go to a gathering it was after a sustained period of sobriety in my case 5 months but I wish I didn't go because although I didn't drink afterwards I wanted to.. I'd easily advise double that time to 10 months

What I'm really trying to drive home is early sobriety is hard enough without pretending your ok to be around alcohol when deep down you know your not and trust me it's ok to not be ok about this you have nothing to prove to anyone and you can be polite but if you don't feel up to large or small groups drinking around you then don't politely say to whoever your closest to or trust & say this it will save a lot of heartache & pain

And most importantly you will be building sober muscles it won't always be like this and soon enough you'll see why this is so beneficial to your recovery

Peace

SW
Old 10-08-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Soberwolf, thanks for the links. Gave me stuff to think about. Staying away is not always an option though. My wife and I do everything together and tailgating before a home gator game is just expected. Trust me, most times I would rather not go.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just found out that next Saturday's game is at 7pm. That means later in the day tailgating. Time to beat the demon again. Building the sober muscles

You know, I drank for 17 years, then quit for 5 years, then drank for 17 again until now. I was miserable those 5 years, 17 years ago. This time feels different. Maybe because I'm alot older?