Notices

Hurricane of temptation

Old 10-06-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hurricane of temptation

Hello everyone! I'm currently on day 3 and living in New Orleans. We've got hurricane Nate coming upon us and my girlfriend and I went to the store to stock up on provisions. The moment we walked into the store I looked to my left and was overwhelmed with a wall of liquor. Suddenly the plan of purchasing necessary things for survival were replaced with a fantasy of being trapped inside with tons of alcohol and cigarettes while we wait this storm out. I actually could feel the anxiety overwhelming my body and I took note of it. I took some deep breaths and repeated a montra from a book I recently finished about drinking. It is" from the depths of my being, I have the desire and determination to not drink alcohol today". I repeated this a couple of times and it actually calmed me. Trapped inside drinking myself into a stupor pretty much sums up the fantasy that my mind creates and sums up my drinking career. I purchased all the things of necessity for a healthy survival instead of the poison of disparity. I am back at the house now and the thought of being trapped inside the house makes me think of positive things to do instead, like, catch up on sleep, read a book, make some love, embrace the bordem. A smile comes across my face, I won this craving. I can't let my guard down though... My AV is lurking in the darkness, waiting for that opportunity. For now I smile...
Old 10-06-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm, glad you got through

There's a few threads around about Texas and Florida and how much people regret drinking during those events.

Worth searching out if you're still battling the AV.

D
Old 10-06-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can SO relate to this, grocerease. I'm a Floridian and while preparing for Irma I had a similar experience. I went into a convenience store and had my hand on a four-pack of my usual poison (and in my previous adult dealings with hurricanes I was usually quite drunk during them.) I nearly allowed myself to ruin 22 months of sobriety but I closed the cooler door and walked away. I realized it would have only made matters far worse; I would have gained nothing but a hangover, horrible guilt and crushing anxiety on top of worries about the storm. (I posted about this.) Congratulations on making the sane, strong decision and on day 3. Keep it up, and best wishes that Nate causes minimal disruption-we're still de-stressing here. There is nothing in this world that alcohol will not make infinitely worse.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've lived all over the US and have been to 'hurricane party's'.. Now that I look back on it, especially after the Vegas shooting I was at. I know I'd rather be sober while in a 'tricky'/dangerous situation than drunk.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grocerease View Post
Hello everyone! I'm currently on day 3 and living in New Orleans. We've got hurricane Nate coming upon us and my girlfriend and I went to the store to stock up on provisions. The moment we walked into the store I looked to my left and was overwhelmed with a wall of liquor. Suddenly the plan of purchasing necessary things for survival were replaced with a fantasy of being trapped inside with tons of alcohol and cigarettes while we wait this storm out. I actually could feel the anxiety overwhelming my body and I took note of it. I took some deep breaths and repeated a montra from a book I recently finished about drinking. It is" from the depths of my being, I have the desire and determination to not drink alcohol today". I repeated this a couple of times and it actually calmed me. Trapped inside drinking myself into a stupor pretty much sums up the fantasy that my mind creates and sums up my drinking career. I purchased all the things of necessity for a healthy survival instead of the poison of disparity. I am back at the house now and the thought of being trapped inside the house makes me think of positive things to do instead, like, catch up on sleep, read a book, make some love, embrace the bordem. A smile comes across my face, I won this craving. I can't let my guard down though... My AV is lurking in the darkness, waiting for that opportunity. For now I smile...
This is so encouraging n inspiring . What u did today was a win n yet again the temptation with come every win against it makes u stronger n more able to fight the next one. Stay safe during the hurricane n we r here for when the thoughts need too be spoken