Notices

Day 11: Question

Old 10-06-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11: Question

I have made it to day 11 and am finally am feeling physically better. Problem is, when I start to feel good, I usually start to feel invinsible again. What do you do to combat that?
Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Did you make a commitment to quit drinking? For good? And you've accepted never drinking again?

If so, then it doesn't matter how "good" you feel, or how nice the thought of drinking appears. You've quit. Done. That is how you deal with it.

Now if you are wavering on your decision to quit, that's a different matter. Keep in mind what brought you here. It wasn't feeling good and invincible.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like Carl said....did you feel invincible all those mornings you woke up hungover? Did you feel invincible when you maybe said and did things you regretted? Did you feel invincible if you pushed people you cared about away? What about the feelings of guilt, shame, loneliness, anger, embarrassment, you may or may not have felt?

I still have my moments when drinking seems like an acceptable idea.....that's my addict voice talking. Then I think about all the people I hurt, and how I've ACCEPTED drinking in moderation isn't an offer, and I like the person I'm becoming now, and despise who I was.

How do I combat my urges? I look back at my regrets. Too many to ever want to drink alcohol again.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you've always done and you'll keep getting what you've always gotten.

I know my past experience taught me over and over that the results would always be more or less the same. Sure, sometimes I could have a couple and be good. Sometimes, not so much. I got tired of the struggle.

Once I quit, the only struggle was healing. Every time I went back, Groundhog Day.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many people report the "pink cloud" concept when they give up drinking. A very good positive almost unnatural high. That in itself isn't a problem (it's actually quite nice) but be very careful not to confuse this as the age old lie "I'm fine, I wasn't that bad, let's celebrate with a drink". Your addiction will try every little nasty trick in the book to get you back in its clutches. Drinking alcohol is never okay for people like us. Never. Not even one little sip. Yes it's okay and normal to feel this way but for heaven's sake don't throw it all away with the "reward" of alcohol.
Work on your mind. Accept that alcohol is off the table forever. Sobriety is actually pretty wonderful and if you want to celebrate it go ahead! Just don't drink. Square one isn't a nice place to be back at......
Keep going 11 days is pretty amazing!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I think it's a question of deciding that you will never drink again, ever. When you have that mindset, you start to look at things differently.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here helped me break out of that cycle.

It was much harder to rationalise I didn't have a problem when I saw myself in so many other posts here.

If you're like me you have a long history of disasters associated with drinking.

I and alcohol have a toxic relationship.

We have to force ourselves to remember that relationship when the persuasive voice starts whispering.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the comments. Made it through the first part of alumni weekend here in gatorland.