Notices

Diet in my recovery

Old 10-06-2017, 02:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diet in my recovery

I am in the process of cleaning up my diet and found an article on how alcohol depletes magnesium levels and being low in magnesium can cause quite a few symptoms .

I saw this on a reputable site and its not intended as medical advice just an observation .

Alcohol increases the amount of magnesium that we secrete in our urine. Studies have found that many alcoholics have low magnesium levels.
Alcohol causes a prompt and substantial increase in the urinary excretion of magnesium and other electrolytes.This means that even moderate drinking can decrease your magnesium levels.
Magnesium levels fall the lowest among individuals going through alcohol withdrawal.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Thomas, that makes some kind of sense to me. When I first stopped drinking, for the first couple of weeks, I was really twitchy. I would lie in bed and my legs would jerk all by themselves as I was trying to sleep. It was really bad at first and even now 30 days sober it still happens a little bit. Seeing as magnesium is important for muscle function perhaps that is what is at play here. Also, chocolate is one of the few junk food sources of it (green leafy things are also high in it, almost certainly a better option) and my chocolate cravings since quitting are through the roof. I usually hate the stuff.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once or twice a week I take an Epsom Salt bath for 20 mins...allows the skin to absorb the magnesium 👍
Old 10-06-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kachal funny you say you crave chocolate as that was one of the tell tale signs of magnesium deficiency I read about . I am guilty for overdoing it on chocolate goodies too but the chocolate they talk about here is dark chocolate , not so tasty but things need to change .

Shopping list yesterday

Dark chocolate 85%
Spinach
Avacado
Oats
Almonds , Brazils
Pumpkin seeds
Figs
Mackerel
Plain bio yogurt

I don't really know if buying the supplement in a bottle is as good a way to get magnesium ?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh! Is that why dark chocolate is my new best friend? Not only does it not put weight on me...it makes me feel better.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't eat chocolate while drinking and now it's a nightly thing. This is gonna gross people out, but I indulge in unsweetened chocolate which I eat with raisins. White sugar is not such a great thing.
I also started taking magnesium supplements before bed. I find it helps with sleep. I think food sources are better than the supplements, but it may be hard to get the adequate amount needed.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always good to run any supplements by your Dr - especially if you're on other meds.

D
Old 10-06-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started taking multi-vitamins,calcium,all kinds of crap. I feel like a senior citizen with my daily supplements. It's amazing what 'little things' we let slide(not care about) while drinking.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your right Dee , people with LOW blood pressure should be careful with magnesium supplements always consult your doc .

I made a smoothie yesterday with banana , carrot , (cooked cooled) spinach , kiwi ,ginger , pumpkin seeds , almonds . It was absolutely delicious .

Any ideas on nutritious smoothies welcome .
Old 10-08-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Magnesium deficiency is a big deal for everyone not just alcoholics . Iv'e studied all day about this and its huge , especially in your America .
Old 10-08-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I eat a small square of dark chocolate every night. I hadn't put two and two together that it was probably replacing magnesium from my wine drinking. I gained weight since I stopped drinking but I'm slowly trying to eat healthier.

One tip for smoothies: put banana in the freezer and use that (defrost it for a bit though so it doesn't break the blender). It makes the smoothie nice and thick so you don't drink it too fast.

Magnesium supplements are bad for low blood pressure?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

according to what I read if you suffer low BP to check with your doctor before taking magnesium supplements ( or any supplements )
Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is probably why when I would drink excessively heavy I would get terrible muscle cramps in my legs and feet. The last binge I got them in my ribs, stomach and back as well. It was horrible.

I’m going to be drinking plenty of Powerade Zero to try to replenish my nutrients as well as good ole water.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

you can purchase magnesium powder at any local grocery store or any gnc, Even online. I take magnesium twice a day once in the morning and before bed. Feels great
Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Replenishing your body after quitting is necessary. I found pedialyte, bananas, spinach, and chicken were my friends. I also took some vit b. Normally your diet, if it is well rounded, should provide you with the necessary but it's and vitamins. You can also take a vitamin and nutrient test at your Drs office to see if you are lacking anything. But I would wait a month or so before you go that route.

Breakfast included eggs, and a naked smoothie drink or my own smoothie if I had time. Lunch was a salad with spinach or kale and some romaine lettuce with chicken or salmon with various toppings. Snack was nuts and soy yogurt. Dinner was whatever I felt like but usually tried to include a variety of veggies at each dinner. I realized when I was drinking just how poorly I ate!

Recently my dad was like, "wtf when did you start eating spinach and kale?". I find it very refreshing especially with a dressing of 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1 c olive oil, 2 tbsp of dijion mustard, and 1 tbsp minced garlic.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dr Carolyn Dean is a expert in magnesium and other minerals . She lives in Miami ,has written several books including the magnesium miracle . I am making her magnesium oil which is sprayed on the body and absorbed much quicker . Loving my nutritious smoothies still but have to cut back on the figs as i'm a bit too often in the loo , . I feel quite the show off sitting outside with my big green drink lol . Today's smoothie was carrot , ginger , pinch of cinnamon ,spinach , clove of garlic , one kiwi fruit in a pint glass with ice floating on the top .

There is an abundance of information on the net and youtube .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdnBj_Cm-fI
Old 10-09-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thomas59 - Funny you had mentioned that Dr. on your post. I actually starting reading up on the Internet about Mag after you mentioned it here. I found her articles. I wanted to know if she was a legit Dr. Oh boy....look what I found! I think I personally am just going to finally buck up and go to a DR. I have not so far as I am a bit of a chicken, as I don't want to hear anything scary. I think a medical doctor is your best bet as well. You can take too much Mag and deplete your Calcium levels as well. There are side effects if you are not careful. There are certain medical conditions that you also need to be aware of before taking Mag.

www.casewatch.org/foreign/dean/dean.shtml
Old 10-11-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I will let you know. I am going to make a Dr. appointment next week for a complete physical. I am stepping out of my norm. (as I don't ever see doctors) to make sure all is well with me. I will ask about Mag too.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Heavencanwait , iv'e checked with my GP via a telephone consultation and shes given me the green light to use magnesium .

I don't want this to go too medical and certainly not meant for advice but there are major studies showing we have too much calcium and not enough magnesium and this imbalance in some people may cause all sorts of unwanted symptoms . The body won,t take any more magnesium than it requires , the only side effect according to what I have read so far is diarrhoea if you take too much . So I started low and building up .
I initially bought a load of magnesium rich foods but since learned that there is nowhere near the required amounts in our food to make up for deficiency . Loving the smoothies though and i,m sure there are a ton of other goodies in them ,no more Figs though !!!!