Notices

Learn to ask for help Weekender Oct. 5-11

Old 10-06-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Btw, this is an awesome thread full of thoughtful observations. I am only half through it, so far.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I am in, thank you for the post and the thread.

Every days a school day and all of that!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Great message MLD.

"The strongest of men is weakened by his belief that he needs no help" Me

"No man is an island." Somebody Else

Have a great weekend.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

LB, twice in two weeks. Brynn.

I'm trying to wring whatever is left out of Summer...last beautiful beach days before it gets too windy to walk through the forest.

If you're new to sobriety, jump in the thread. Weekenders is about getting through the weekend without using.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wow! I'm glad to see so many people share my pathological avoidance of asking for help. And are doing something about it. MLD, this is a truly great opener. Great discussions. Bimini, that was very helpful to read.

I'm in. I've had such limited time lately that something had to give, and unfortunately, it's been SR. But I'm still sober. Any way, .y train just pulled in so I have to get off or end up in the yard. See you all later.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I like this thread. My plans are early mornings, seeing the sun come up each day and lots of work outdoors and then some late afternoon walks in the woods.

I believe I'll also start working on ways to put together more healthy meals going forward. I have been living on red meat and alcohol for many years now. It's time for some fruit and salads!

Hope everyone enjoys an alcohol free weekend!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Welcome to the thread, AM100.

Food. People used to post all their yummy food pictures in this thread. There are lots of pretty healthy eaters here.

I'm having shrimp scampi with tomato, zucchini and avocado for dinner. I guess I should re-name it...it's not really scampi with all that stuff in it. Lots of garlic, butter and linguini, so that's the scampi part.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders teaorcoffee, Carpathia and AM100 - great post Carpathia.

Running seriously late tonight
Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Ruby!

Old 10-06-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Great to see you back, Ruby!
Old 10-06-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Bimini that's adorable!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I put in a late surge at Crazy Golf tonight but it was not enough to win.

A friend of mine is doing something called sober October - A sponsored non drinking month, unlike me he is a normie who enjoys a drink but knows when to stop. 3 years ago it was my failure to do the same which forced me to really look for some help to stop drinking myself to death. One of those things was finding SR for which I am very grateful.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks Bimini for the hug! That's so cute. Animals are soothing.

Sao, too bad about crazy golf. I ended up later at work than planned for a class. Finally on the train home.

AM100, my eating habits were terrible too. I've found it easier to eat healthy stuff lately. I've really been enjoying the seasonal stuff this year. Melons, pears, plums. Do you have a farmer's market near? That's a great way to occupy time and get menu ideas. I love walking through and seeing the colors.

I'm ready for my 3 day weekend. Long week. I chair an AA meeting on Saturday morning. I was out of town and missed last week. Family wedding in St. Louis. A boozy occasion. That I survived intact. It can be done and can be fun. I drove myself and my two kids so we could leave when we wanted. Which was fairly early. The drink, the loud music and talking, really don't interest me anymore. If they ever did. I think the alcohol helped me tolerate it before. Peace and quiet.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I took a long walk up in the horse-acres area near here. I found some apples on the ground from an old gnarly apple tree and I cut out all the worm/brown bits and now they're cooking on the stove. What a lovely smell.

That put the brakes on the scampi I had planned, it's too much bother/prep after the apples, and I'm hungry now. I'm a lazy cook. So it's gonna be a grilled cheese and turkey sandwich, pickles, and popcorn later. Sounds just as good, and faster.

I'll watch a couple episodes of "Call the Midwife" and maybe something else...in for the night. It's blustery.

I saw a coyote! He walked across the road, I stopped, he stopped, he turned and looked at me over his shoulder for half a minute and then walked off. It was cool. Eye to eye. Huge ears!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm doing so bad I'm scare i feel no-one can help me. my husband is divorcing me and he treated to take my dogs he said he will put them in a kennel if he has to i feel horrible they are mine i don't want them to suffer they are my responsibility i just lost right now i don't know where to turn to

i feel i will get fired too i just called out twice this week and i am under performing

please i need some help why i can not stop why?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm going to die from this and before I'm gonna die many times losing what i love beyond sad why me?
Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Mr

So sorry your feeling down S&h what can I do to help or to make you feel better ?

Can you go see a friend or a family member ?

Please dont drink.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm sorry you're struggling Soberandhealthy, when I was drinking I worried thay I might lose my job but it was the drinking that was causing me to underperform. It was a viscious circle that my drinking was making everything worse like a ratchet tightening a nut.

I would concentrate on the one thing you can change which is your drinking, I do know how hard it is when our mind is craving the very thing that is killing us but try and keep it in mind too that no one ever died of a craving and they don't last forever.

I think once you have some sober time behind you you can access what needs to be done about your marriage and work situations for example taking a job that might be lower paid but which is less stressful.

I really want you to succeed at this Sah, I know that you can, why not take some proactive steps like AA or going to see your doctor. You could make a start by clicking the link to Dee's Recovery plans. It makes it so much easier than just stopping drinking on your own. Don't give up on yourself.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry SAH - maybe this is a good time to go back to AA?

D
Old 10-07-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

SAH, the alcohol is causing this hopelessness and helplessness.

YOU are not helpless. Recovery is available to everyone.

Please get some outside help, even if it's just sitting in a meeting today - do something.

I got to the point in my drinking where I was so miserable that I woke up one morning and just fell to my knees and cried out, "Help me!"

That day was Day One. I'm closing in on four years now, and it has completely changed me.

You can do it, too. Just don't pick up a drink, no matter what.