Notices

Trying to power through day 13

Old 10-03-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to power through day 13

But, I'm seconds from walking to the liquor store. Thought I would do this instead.

I just keep thinking, day 1 isn't that bad. I can do that again.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Post 😀 You are my hero. I wish I did that when I relapsed.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Going back to day 1 would be terrible for me. Sweaty, anxious, and tired. Definitely not for me.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Every Day 1 gets harder and harder.

Stick with Day 13 and you'll be able to get through this.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your day one doesn't sound like a picnic blueberry

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...s-intense.html (First post - The cravings are intense)

Fight the feelings and remember the reality

D
Old 10-03-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope you didn't pick up the drink, BB. Momentum is a big thing and each time you have to start over there's a risk that you won't follow through...or that you won't make it back.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How are you today?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm embarrassed to say that I caved and drank. Then spent yesterday (Day 1) miserable and sick. I'm still feeling the effects.

But, I'm going to try and not beat myself up too much. I've read on here a few times that I never have to feel like that again. I just have to make better decisions.

Thanks for checking in.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The memory (and misery) of day one doesn't seem sufficient to sustain sobriety. What can you add to your plan to support your decision to quit? That is, if you have a plan.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
The memory (and misery) of day one doesn't seem sufficient to sustain sobriety. What can you add to your plan to support your decision to quit? That is, if you have a plan.
You're right. It isn't enough for me not to drink.

Well, I'm not sure if this would be considered a plan but I see my psychologist regularly. I exercise and try to eat well. I read and make sure I socialize (non-drinking dates) with friends. I've been considering taking a meditation class a few blocks from my home and the biggest thing that I want to do but haven't quite gotten over the intimidation factor, is AA.

Have you been to an AA meeting? What would I expect for the first time?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Berry glad you are back and sorry you had a tough day.
Day 26 for me and have had a few pangs shall we say.

Staying vigilant against my AV (that was yours making light of your last day 1 trying to trick you into thinking that it wasn't so bad) has helped me.
I am imagining it as an evil devil who will not be satisfied until it kills me so I must defend my sober choice fiercely.

I know that may sound dramatic but it works for me.
Wishing you the best.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Silverback4 View Post
Hi Berry glad you are back and sorry you had a tough day.
Day 26 for me and have had a few pangs shall we say.

Staying vigilant against my AV (that was yours making light of your last day 1 trying to trick you into thinking that it wasn't so bad) has helped me.
I am imagining it as an evil devil who will not be satisfied until it kills me so I must defend my sober choice fiercely.

I know that may sound dramatic but it works for me.
Wishing you the best.
Thanks!

I’ll try that. I’m open to anything.

Congrats on day 26. Great job!!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by berryblue View Post
What would I expect for the first time?
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-about-aa.html (Curious about AA?)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((berryblue)))
Right. Time to get serious. Yes? Your addiction will tell you every last little lie to keep dragging you back into it's clutches. You soooo almost did it by telling on it here!!!!!
Bottom line I refer to when the lying AV tries are 2 things Soberwolf recommended as the unnegotiable:
1) Drinking alcohol is off the table as an option. Not one sip. Ever.
2) Any thoughts romanticising alcohol must be quashed immediately. There is nothing positive whatsoever about it.

The rest of your plan of choice is of course personal opinion. I am not currently an AAer but I have been in the past and have a lot of respect and affection for the fellowship. I would imagine you will be welcomed very warmly and there is no expectation that you have to share or contribute if you feel uncomfortable. plus you will likely be offered phone numbers for support if you feel that this would help. Anything is worth a try yes?
Are you in a class on SR (for example the class of October 2017) or do you check in each day on the 24 hour thread? I thoroughly recommend both and also there is an absolute mass of reading to be done.
Just one other last thing. Have you read about AVRT / rational recovery? There is a secular section here which you could look in to.
I wish you well and it really is totally possible for you to make this the last time you need to feel like this. I promise you that.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
(((berryblue)))
Right. Time to get serious. Yes? Your addiction will tell you every last little lie to keep dragging you back into it's clutches. You soooo almost did it by telling on it here!!!!!
Bottom line I refer to when the lying AV tries are 2 things Soberwolf recommended as the unnegotiable:
1) Drinking alcohol is off the table as an option. Not one sip. Ever.
2) Any thoughts romanticising alcohol must be quashed immediately. There is nothing positive whatsoever about it.

The rest of your plan of choice is of course personal opinion. I am not currently an AAer but I have been in the past and have a lot of respect and affection for the fellowship. I would imagine you will be welcomed very warmly and there is no expectation that you have to share or contribute if you feel uncomfortable. plus you will likely be offered phone numbers for support if you feel that this would help. Anything is worth a try yes?
Are you in a class on SR (for example the class of October 2017) or do you check in each day on the 24 hour thread? I thoroughly recommend both and also there is an absolute mass of reading to be done.
Just one other last thing. Have you read about AVRT / rational recovery? There is a secular section here which you could look in to.
I wish you well and it really is totally possible for you to make this the last time you need to feel like this. I promise you that.
Thank-you for taking the time to write this post. The support on this site is amazing.

I will check out those threads and do some suggested reading.

I've decided that the next time my AV gets loud like it did, I am going to try my first meeting. I might even go before that point so I can maybe get some numbers to get me through it.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

berry just another thing. Sometimes if it comes on strong and sudden it's useful to have a little list of things that help quickly. For example have a hot shower or bath, drink a pint of water, get out of the house (go for a drive or a walk), have a really good cry, call a friend, call your mum, come on here, eat (anything), go to bed, do a puzzle, mow the lawn, do some vigerouse housework ....... silly little things that can cut through that craving. I personally find a hot shower coupled with a bit of a cry and a cuddle work for me.