Notices

What changes have you noticed in early recovery?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
G-Woman

The skin on my face is healthier - less dry and dull. Now it feels soft and less tight.

The hair thing? OMG I've noticed that too. I've sobered up a few times in my life, but during this last bout with drinking I noticed the quality of my hair changing. My hair has always been fine, but I had a lot of it so it seemed full and thick. Lately my hair has been thin and limp, almost taking on a whispy feel. I thought maybe it was an age-thing.

Here's looking forward to that (hopefully) reversing!

Congrats on the benefits of sobriety everyone! It's important to be be grateful for these positive changes.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've realised something else today, too.
Everyone is always talking about improving their work/life balance and I feel like it has improved overnight. I used to feel that I spent the overwhelming majority of my life in work, but that was because whenever I was out of work, I was drunk - which made evenings and weekends just disappear. It also made my time in work feel like an eternity a lot of the time. Now I'm getting full value out of all of my evenings and weekends, so it feels that there is a much better balance between time spent at work and time spent at home - even though it is exactly the same.
It is also true that I'm much more efficient in work, so it feels a lot easier, too.
I could get used to sobriety.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In addition to what others have mentioned, I noticed I'm saving major money!
Not only a few hundred bucks a month on alcohol, but on stupid drunk purchases, food, acid reflux meds, eye drops (no longer dehydrated), aspirin, mouthwash, etc.)
Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

downthepath: 'getting full value from my evenings and weekends'
What a massive statement and so true! I was wretched with work. Always moaning about having no life. I feel like my time off has tripled. I've done more and experienced more in the last eight weeks than I did in the rest of the YEAR.

Stomach issues is a huge one for me. It was *so* bad and now it's, dare I say it, almost dreamy.

Also
- Definitely lost some bloat
- Can almost bare to look in mirrors
- Agoraphobic anxiety at all time low
- I feel like I'm worth knowing and liking
- ...and my bathroom is miraculously sustainably clean 😂
Old 10-06-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I also had stomach issues, Squiz. They have all but disappeared. Are we the same person...?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

😀 If we are DTPath we best both keep up the good work!

Really really bad acid stomach. Painful, terrible disaster stomach. Took about two and a half weeks to settle and now I'm more confident than I have been since it started giving me issues 20 years ago. I hope it continues, this is a massively life changing result for me (long story) I'm growing in confidence every day 🤞
Old 10-06-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Squiz and Downthepath, yes to the stomach problems over here too. The painful cramps and, uh, urgency disappeared pretty much overnight.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Reflux and heartburn have lessened over here, stopped taking acid reducer daily!
Old 10-06-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh I thought of another one: my gums don't bleed when I brush my teeth anymore.