SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anxiety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/416793-anxiety.html)

rainyengland 10-02-2017 01:50 PM

Anxiety

Hi

Just wondered if anyone got any suggestions to help anxiety ?

Part of my drinking problems I’m sure were to combat this (obv made it worse !) , since quitting it’s def got better and with help of my doctor I managed for short few months to get it under control a little

Just seem to be feeling it again a bit and not enjoying it !

Any tips or advice?

Silverback4 10-02-2017 01:57 PM

I find focussing my thoughts into a simple or mundane task helps.

It could be cleaning my bike, folding washing literally anything that we do every day but I mean really focussing on it so for that period it is all that is in my head.

Some Arguably more relaxing methods

Taking a walk or any excersise
Meditation/ mindfulness
Adult colouring books
Reading a book
Listening to good music
Cooking
Keeping a diary or journal
Sleeping
Get out and about meet a friend or talk to a friend or family member on the phone (I’m find being more a part of the world and speaking with others reminds me that there is nothing really for me to be anxious about.

Hope you feel better

Linners820 10-02-2017 01:57 PM

I'm not sure, but I'm curious to see what people say. Drinking for me was a way to de-stress after work, to deal with anxiety, like you. Def has not served that purpose in the long term. It really does make things so much worse, for various reasons.
Have you tried a therapist that has a cognitive behavior approach?

rainyengland 10-02-2017 02:02 PM

Thanks for replies :)

Exercise certainly helps me a lot but body can’t keep with demand ! 😆

I try to unwind watching tv or reading etc but mind races away with me and just doesn’t work

I am on waiting list for a bit of therapy but not sure when it will start,I don’t really want to go back to docs to up any meds as I need to work this out

Funny enough posting here makes me feel a lot better !
Thanks

biminiblue 10-02-2017 02:05 PM

It took almost a year before my anxiety was down to pre-drink levels.

Lots of damage done.

Good nutrition, moderate exercise, meditation, prayer were all helpful. So was not having too much caffeine. I couldn't really have any until six months, then I went to 1 half-caff cup a day, and at a little over a year (I think) I went back to regular coffee - but only two cups a day. Three and I start having issues like intrusive thoughts and excessive worry.

Give it time, treat the body well. Keep searching for things that will help, like you're doing.

biminiblue 10-02-2017 02:08 PM

Look up "tapping" (EFT) on Youtube. It sounds kind of "woo" but it worked for me.

It's acupressure points that you can work yourself.

rainyengland 10-02-2017 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6623694)
It took almost a year before my anxiety was down to pre-drink levels.

Lots of damage done.

Good nutrition, moderate exercise, meditation, prayer were all helpful. So was not having too much caffeine. I couldn't really have any until six months, then I went to 1 half-caff cup a day, and at a little over a year (I think) I went back to regular coffee - but only two cups a day. Three and I start having issues like intrusive thoughts and excessive worry.

Give it time, treat the body well. Keep searching for things that will help, like you're doing.

Caffeine ..I drink a lot of tea since I quit ..probably 8-10 cups a day and few coffees

I’ll swap to decaf for a bit and see what happens

Thanks for tip

rainyengland 10-02-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6623698)
Look up "tapping" on Youtube. It sounds kind of "woo" but it worked for me.

It's acupressure points that you can work yourself.

Thanks - will check it out

biminiblue 10-02-2017 02:12 PM

Calming teas are good - anything herbal. We have some brands here that are marketed as "calming," or "stress reducing," that have stuff like chamomile, eleuthero, valerian, peppermint, catnip - all claimed as calming or relaxing.

Ohme 10-02-2017 02:12 PM

I think I'm going to pick up my old guitar and try to learn to help with my nighttime anxiety. And when I'm feeling lazy I'm going to try very engrossing video games. Both keeps the hands and mind busy for me. I need to let out my energy or I just want to drink to shut it off.

Dee74 10-02-2017 03:58 PM

Breathing helps me

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...echniques.html

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...techniqes.html

D

SimplyFree 10-02-2017 05:12 PM

Anxiety certainly was a big part of why drank too, and is one of my biggest challenges in sobriety. I have to get out of the house, to do something that makes me think, concentrate and be purposed. Music and fixing cars are what I've chosen currently. It is completely different from my day job and I use it to diffuse some of the core stressors. Boredom, or kids, marriage or loneliness. All those have been strong triggers, but when I'm doing music or cars the evening goes by smoothly......mostly. I still struggle with sharp mood swings from time to time. Hang in there, explore what might become a great tool for the non drinking you,

Gottalife 10-03-2017 06:40 AM

My anxiety arose from a real hotch potch of things. My mind was racing, I had trouble concentrating and sleep was difficult. I couldn't see the direct causes at the time, but it seems I was living with a lot of guilt and fear around the many times I betrayed my own values, I had secrets that I hoped would never see the light of day, there were quite a few people in the world that I hoped I would never meet again, I had a certain amount of fear about the tap on the shoulder of my past catching up with me, and I had a way of behaving, a kind of decision making process based on instinctual drives, that often put me in conflict with others.

Not always external conflict, but internal. A decision based on instinct often conflicted with my values, for example doing what was selfish rather than what I knew to be right. This always came back to bite me. There was so much going on that I couldn't see cause and effect, I couldn't see a way through, and I often thought the skywas going to fall on me. This wasn't unusual behaviour for me, it was my normal existence, my normal way of thinking. I didn't know there was anything wrong.

The long term answer has been to find a different way of living, where my values and not my fear driven instincts, are the guide.

Carpathia 10-03-2017 07:04 AM

Awesome posts. Mike, spot on for me, too!

What people in recovery have said is, "you don't know what you don't know."

Recovery is a process of uncovery. Can you deal with what you find, accept it, change what you can, all while not drinking?

Fighting against my values was a way of life for me. I didn't even recognize it until I stopped drinking and started living the steps. Anxiety crops up still. I have healthy coping tools other than drinking, though. Most of the tools are reflected in these posts!

soberclover 10-03-2017 07:08 AM

Crochet believe it or not has been a lifesaver for me....I think it is the combination of the soft colorful yarn and the repeat pattern of the stitches that helps me get out of myself and to calm the anxiety.

And the Adult Coloring Books......those have helped too :)

kenton 10-03-2017 08:56 AM

Following the steps of the worry tree has helped massively with my anxiety. Google worry tree diagram. It looks far too simple to work but it really does! It's made me realise that a lot of my anxiety stemmed from worry about hypothetical events that might never happen and I have zero control over. Recognising that and letting go of the worry has really sliced through the anxiety and let my mind get some peace.

Linners820 10-03-2017 01:05 PM

Such good info here. I looked at the tapping videos on YouTube last night, and honestly it helped me quite a bit as I was feeling intense anxiety at the time.

PhoenixJ 10-03-2017 01:19 PM

My anxiety is (obviously- now I know) linked very much with my depression. I presisted- and now am on an antidepressant that has reduced that wake up in the morning KNOWING something bad is going tohappen.
Lots of water.
LOTS of walking

Mandy73 10-03-2017 01:24 PM

I have to second crochet, I have recently taken it up and I find it really has a very calming affect. Slow relaxed breathing and counting of the stitches. Very relaxing and keeps my mind focused.

Gabe1980 10-03-2017 01:35 PM

For me it was loads of walking. Walking until I was too tired to walk anymore, or worry anymore. Also, meditation everyday. Mindfulpeace on YouTube was a lifesaver 😊