SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Very New (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/416789-very-new.html)

Prosper 10-02-2017 12:58 PM

Very New

Very new to trying to cut back on the drinking.

Ohme 10-02-2017 12:59 PM

Welcome prosper! You'll find lots of awesome help here.

doggonecarl 10-02-2017 01:04 PM

Welcome.

Originally Posted by Prosper (Post 6623597)
Very new to trying to cut back on the drinking.

Cutting back to zero? Or do you hold the hope that you can moderate your drinking?

ChloeRose63 10-02-2017 01:04 PM

:welcome to SR!
Glad you found us! Keep posting!
There is a new Oct.2017 group that you should check out

Hevyn 10-02-2017 02:02 PM

Great to meet you, Prosper. This is a great place for encouragement as you make this big change in your life. There's always someone around to listen. Welcome!

rainyengland 10-02-2017 02:05 PM

Welcome :-)

Loads of lovely people here , your in the right place

Silverback4 10-02-2017 02:07 PM

Welcome Prosper you are in a good place here.

When you are ready let us know what brought you here and what sort of relationship you have with alcohol.

For some cutting back is possible if they are not the type of drinker that I am. For me and for lots of others cutting it out altogether is the only way to live the life we deserve.

All the best

Dee74 10-02-2017 04:00 PM

Welcome :)

D

Prosper 10-02-2017 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 6623606)
Welcome.

Cutting back to zero? Or do you hold the hope that you can moderate your drinking?

Im not sure yet. I have drank heavily my entire adult life. Just recently is when i realized i have a problem. I dont sleep with out being drunk. I like reading everyones post. I never tried sobering before so i dont know what i am up against.

Prosper 10-02-2017 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 (Post 6623607)
:welcome to SR!
Glad you found us! Keep posting!
There is a new Oct.2017 group that you should check out

I am glad i found this. Ive tried calling hotlines but they are always trying to sell me $30,000 rehab centers

Prosper 10-02-2017 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ohme (Post 6623599)
Welcome prosper! You'll find lots of awesome help here.

Thank you

Prosper 10-02-2017 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silverback4 (Post 6623696)
Welcome Prosper you are in a good place here.

When you are ready let us know what brought you here and what sort of relationship you have with alcohol.

For some cutting back is possible if they are not the type of drinker that I am. For me and for lots of others cutting it out altogether is the only way to live the life we deserve.

All the best

Thank you. I do plan on sharing my story soon. First was finding a fine group like this.

davesnothere 10-03-2017 12:04 PM

Have you tried going to bed sober yet?

Hevyn 10-03-2017 03:27 PM

How're you doing today, Prosper?

MythOfSisyphus 10-03-2017 11:23 PM

Welcome to SR, Prosper! It's good to have you with us.

davesnothere 10-04-2017 01:38 PM

Come on back!

Kachal 10-04-2017 07:03 PM

Hi Prosper,
Like you, this is the first time I've ever tried to stop drinking. I found this site a month ago and have 30 days sober now. It became apparent to me as I progressed over that month that I am here with people just like me. So many SR stories could have been my story. And if these wonderful people are just like me, and they already know they can't moderate, then maybe I can't either.
I started with the idea that I was taking a 'break', indeed that's still what I'm telling my friends if they ask. But now I know that it has to be a lifelong break. I found great support in the Class of September - I'd advise joining the new class of October to meet a bunch of people going through, day by day, the same thing you are.
You can do it!

Prosper 10-05-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kachal (Post 6626091)
Hi Prosper,
Like you, this is the first time I've ever tried to stop drinking. I found this site a month ago and have 30 days sober now. It became apparent to me as I progressed over that month that I am here with people just like me. So many SR stories could have been my story. And if these wonderful people are just like me, and they already know they can't moderate, then maybe I can't either.
I started with the idea that I was taking a 'break', indeed that's still what I'm telling my friends if they ask. But now I know that it has to be a lifelong break. I found great support in the Class of September - I'd advise joining the new class of October to meet a bunch of people going through, day by day, the same thing you are.
You can do it!

Thank you. Keep moving forward. Sounds like you have a good start.

Prosper 10-05-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by davesnothere (Post 6624689)
Have you tried going to bed sober yet?

I did try last sat. I got the chills and threw up like 9 times. I had to drink Vodka and some beers to calm everything down.

Anna 10-05-2017 10:05 AM

Welcome!

Detoxing from alcohol can be unpredictable and dangerous. Be prepared to talk to your dr if you are concerned.

I hope you plan to abstain from alcohol. Moderation doesn't work for alcoholics, though most of us here have tried it. There is freedom in abstinence.