Notices

First while of soberity is lonely

Old 10-01-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First while of soberity is lonely

Hi everyone. I’m at 10 days sober today. I am find though doing this a second time over after so many years is a lot harder.
My family is so weary of me I feel so uncomfortable there.
I’m so afraid of making even one mistake I’m saying yes too everything and then having too cancel on some people who relied on me because most important I don’t want to upset my family but then I cancel on third party n go n be with my family n yet feel so miserable because I know they r skepticial of me I know they r tired of this n I know they don’t trust me. It’s been difficult and right now my hands r shaking with anxiety thinking of it all with the mix of other things I am feeling. T
Thanks for listening I just need to get it out
Old 10-01-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good that you let that out. My family protected me from stress so that I would not drink again. It was akward. I still relaped many times and been to rehabs and counceling. Destroyed alot of trust because alcoholics are liers and manipulative. Just be the best person you can be and give it time.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you have this added stress on top of dealing with being newly sober. Try and be gentle with yourself there is nothing easy about this. Sounds like time is needed to build trust with your family. Surround yourself with people who are supportive and encouraging. If that is here online so be it. Anxiety sucks, hope you can find some ways to de-stress. Deep breathing, exercise and meditating sometimes help me.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

#1 for now -- take care of your sobriety and self.

All else will fall into place in time.

Believe that and count on it -- (if) we keep doing the right things.

M-Bob
Old 10-01-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's okay to be focusing on yourself at this point. Try not to worry too much about your friends and family and pleasing them right now. They all want you to be well and safe, so just focus on that. And, Congratulations on 10 days of sobriety.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's more than ok to focus on yourself and your needs for now. Later on, when you're more secure you can accept all the invites you want and you can mend any broken fences then

D
Old 10-01-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

One of the things I found about just stopping drinking was that I had no basis of experience that things would get better. My life had been a series of failures in very area. I never seemed to be able to do the right thing. I was always letting people down. I was never happy, always disappointed in myself. That was my experience of not drinking, so every time I tried it I became fearful of failing and letting everyone down again, because I always had in the past. Just not drinking and waiting for time to heal this never worked. You could say I was hopeless. Nothing in my past experience led me to believe that I would make it this time.

The solution turned out to be gaining hope by learning from the experience of others who had found a way out. The results they were getting were very obvious, but they did not come from sitting and waiting. They came from a very specific program of action. Once I got on the same program, I became hopeful and that hope increased as I took the suggested actions and began to feel the benefits.

Some of the stuff I needed to do was painful, things I might rather have avoided, but i was willing to pay the price to get out of the misery. It worked, I recovered and have not taken a drink in a very long time.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
One of the things I found about just stopping drinking was that I had no basis of experience that things would get better. My life had been a series of failures in very area. I never seemed to be able to do the right thing. I was always letting people down. I was never happy, always disappointed in myself. That was my experience of not drinking, so every time I tried it I became fearful of failing and letting everyone down again, because I always had in the past. Just not drinking and waiting for time to heal this never worked. You could say I was hopeless. Nothing in my past experience led me to believe that I would make it this time.

The solution turned out to be gaining hope by learning from the experience of others who had found a way out. The results they were getting were very obvious, but they did not come from sitting and waiting. They came from a very specific program of action. Once I got on the same program, I became hopeful and that hope increased as I took the suggested actions and began to feel the benefits.

Some of the stuff I needed to do was painful, things I might rather have avoided, but i was willing to pay the price to get out of the misery. It worked, I recovered and have not taken a drink in a very long time.
Thank u I was sober for five years before this January is when it started again I know the glory that is too come and I know how too get it , it’s def a hard road to travel a second time when u believed for so long that this would never happen again. But I have faith and I have support and a program thank you for reminding me of that. Your post reminded me of the times in which I had and know I have the power to have again
Old 10-02-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember how lonely I was drinking....

How despairing my life had quietly, secretly become....

In contrast, the lonely feelings of early sobriety were a different, more bearable sort.

Those genuine feelings, when FELT and acknowledged in sobriety, led me to a much better place in life.

You can do it.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It takes awhile for others to adjust their view of you to a non drinker. Especially family, because they have known you as a drinker for so long. BUT it will happen if you stay sober. Focus on your sobriety for now, it is the key factor to change.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mielz View Post
Hi everyone. I’m at 10 days sober today. I am find though doing this a second time over after so many years is a lot harder.
My family is so weary of me I feel so uncomfortable there.
I’m so afraid of making even one mistake I’m saying yes too everything and then having too cancel on some people who relied on me because most important I don’t want to upset my family but then I cancel on third party n go n be with my family n yet feel so miserable because I know they r skepticial of me I know they r tired of this n I know they don’t trust me. It’s been difficult and right now my hands r shaking with anxiety thinking of it all with the mix of other things I am feeling. T
Thanks for listening I just need to get it out
"No man is truly free until he masters himself." Epictetus.

What we think and what we feel, are distinct drivers of our behavior. Epictetus ​noted some 2000 years ago that “it isn’t our circumstances, but our view of them, which creates our miseries."

The one good thing about being an addict is that we are in a position to better understand ourselves if we put forth the effort. Normal people almost never engage in serious introspection.

For example, my son was a heroin addict at 25, living on the street. Today, 5 years later, he is clean and sober and far, "Wiser," than his brothers and peers.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice job on double digits

Early recovery is hard as heck but with people in recovery alongside you early recovery is made that bit easier

Nice to meet you
Old 10-02-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good to meet you and great stuff on day 10.

Some sound advice above and all you should be thinking about just now.
Be good and gentle with yourself.