Notices

First Sober Wedding - Success!

Old 10-01-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Sober Wedding - Success!

After 1 year and 9 months sober I attended my first wedding sober.

Of course there was an open bar and quite a bit of drinking going on. I attended with my bf and 3 gf's all who know I'm sober now. Didn't know too many other people at the wedding.

My bf isn't a big drinker and only had 2 glasses of their IPA while my gf's indulged a little more each having ~4 glasses of wine. (Isn't it funny how as alcoholics we tend to notice exactly how much other people are drinking...).

At one point my gf accidentally knocked over her white wine on the table we were sitting at and for the rest of the night the smell of the wine was overwhelming. The sight of alcohol doesn't make it miss it quite as much anymore but the smell.... now that's a whole other topic.... The smell floods my brain instantly with good memories of drinking (why does it always remind us of the good times and not the bad times?? I have to purposely remind myself of the bad memories associated with drinking as to not give in).

Then the dancing started - I've always loved dancing, but it was usually when I had a had a few drinks to loosen up before I got out on the dance floor.... Eventually we all made our way up to the dance floor and I was feeling confident, happy, and a good song came on and I couldn't help but get out there to dance with my bf and gfs... embraced the fact that I'm terrible dancer and had a blast!!

It's amazing the confidence sobriety has given me.... When I first started drinking I thought it was alcohol that gave me confidence... In reality alcohol that gave me a false confidence while slowly chipping away my real confidence.

-Leasha

644 days sober today. Happy. Healthy. Confident.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats to you!!! Well done, Leeash!!! That's really awesome.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amazing! You're an inspiration. I hope I can tell the same story in a year.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through so well - congratulations Leana

D
Old 10-02-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats
Old 10-02-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job!!

And, I think I remember you talking about being a runner (plus there's your pic!) and I am too- I have had two very close PR's in my 5K runs since May - over a three minute besting of my times from Jan-Apr (my fiance and I do one a month for the whole year). It is awesome how we can accomplish things, enjoy events and all the rest in sobriety!

Proud for you!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome job Leasha! I can totally relate to the dancing bit.