Notices

Sober concert, amazing

Old 09-30-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober concert, amazing

I went to a concert last night sober (I'm on 26 days) and stayed sober. First sober concert in a long time. I saw Fleet Foxes (fantastic) and I had a great time and actually remember it. I was in the front row! And I didn't lose my place because I didn't need to keep getting drinks and going to the bathroom. I also didn't drop $50-$100 on expensive concert drinks.

Back when I was drinking, I would black out and forget almost all of it. I would wake up with a massive hangover and a very sore throat from all of the crazy drunk screaming.

When they scanned my ticket at the entrance, the wrist band people asked me for my ID and if I was drinking and I happily said "nope."

I'm so grateful for SR for providing support. Thank you! True beauty emerges in the sober life.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So glad you enjoyed it kona5k 👍👍👍
Old 09-30-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic post
Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a good time Kona

Sometimes after a 'win' like that my AV came calling with thoughts of me being 'cured'...stay vigilant

D
Old 09-30-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a great feeling to come home from a show sober. Your ears are still ringing, but you feel completely normal, and you get home safely, and you feel mature and responsible and adult. It almost feels like it happened to someone else; a couple of hours ago I was at the concert, and now I'm home and not altered by alcohol. This was one of my favorite "new" discoveries of sobriety.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Out,

Life sober is amazing. We are not designed to be drunks.

I had to unlearn the behavior. I still crave. When I do...I think...of course I crave...I am an addict for life.

For me, wanting to quit is half the battle won.

Then it is about management of triggers...for me..they were all peer pressure...always.

Normies and actives...saying...just have a sip.

Then I came back here....and got reeled in. Fortunately, my slips were not full up benders.

They say, the first drink gets you...I was lucky...but I could feel the insanity trying to creep in.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing a well done.
So much to look forward to sober and unshackled
Old 10-01-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I saw the great Frank Zappa back in 1984 and I don't remember a thing about it. I drank all day of the show, I did coke, and smoked a pile of weed.

I've been to several shows since I've gotten sober: Brian Wilson, Todd Rundgren, Ben Folds, Weird Al Yankovic, and I've had a blast. I went to a ska show and I even got up on stage and skank danced. Me in my mid 50's amid all those kids. It was fantastic.

Yeah, I know all about having to use the bathroom repeatedly because I kept chugging beer, poor memory of the shows, hangovers.

We're seeing Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band next month, and I can't wait.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on staying sober in a difficult environment! I'm an avid concert attendee and I've always engaged in the same behaviors you described. I haven't been to a show since my recovery started.....until tonight. I'm excited to go to a rock show and be sober during it.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!! I recently went to my first sober concert and I loved it! I was able to enjoy the music, feel it transform me, and not worry about when I would run out of my drink and have to get another. Also, so much easier to dance without a drink in hand!!!!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I am also an avid concert goer, and I usually had 3-5 drinks during the show. Very tipsy to hammered.

Saw Alt-J sober, it was amazing, but I did get a slight trigger every time I walked by the bar. But then I reminded myself I didn't need to budget 15 minutes standing in that line for a crappy overpriced concert drink. Went to the other bar with no line and got a ginger ale instead.

LOVE Fleet Foxes, really loved the album with Father John Misty. Sounds like way big fun!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's great to hear Kona! I'm not ready for a sober concert quite yet, it's hard to imagine being in that environment and not drinking. I'll get there, and I can't wait to enjoy the experience with a clear head.