Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 1

Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

mandosca - I think the most important thing is for you to be honest with yourself. What does that 4 drinks mean to YOU? Is your AV trying to minimize what it means by making you question if you need to reset your day count?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clearlyheaded View Post
Hi October class!
Layali - I totally get what you are saying. I found that I was doing the same exact thing during my brief stretches of not drinking over the last year and half. I figured that if I wasn't drinking, numbing with OTC was okay. Until I started taking it out of habit instead of for a specific reason like a 3 night stretch of insomnia. Looking back, I think the habit of taking something was a slippery slope for sure. Thanks for this. It's timely that you brought this up as I was JUST reflecting on this over the last week.

Looking forward to getting to know you all. Sobriety is a gift. Let's not forget that (me included!!). We can do this!
Yeah, I am getting a bit scared myself, of this slippery slope.... no matter I had been doing/taking, I was telling myself "just don't drink - because then I'm all the way down the slope into the muck pile of death" or whatever. Because I can tell myself I can take anything else but not drink, but then 1) I'm still an addict 2) When I'm high on something else, I'm more likely to drink without even realising what I'm doing. And also - a lot of these OTC things are dangerous too and I can die from them too. It;s not like I'm okay as long as I don't drink.... messed up thinking! :O

I had a wisdom tooth out and figured it was "acceptable" to take T1's for that. But you know.... long after my mouth healed and the pain went away, I kept taking them. They helped with appetite and I had/have been trying to lose weight. And then once I was taking them I needed/wanted more and more, wanted that high feeling as well.... I know damn well why I ever started taking them. I'm pretty sure advil would have been just fine for my tooth.
And cough syrup - do I have a cold??? A cough?? Nooooooo..... my addictive mind has been messing with me!! I have got to snap back into my own mind and give it a talking to I think. My only problem is this "one last time" mentality I have. "well, before i quit I should just have this and that one last time..." like no. Each time I take something it will only dig it's claws deeper into me.

Anyway!! Good luck to you and to everyone else!!!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Day 2 for me. Feeling tired and need rest. My mind is a mess so I cannot concentrate on my recovery plan yet. I just want to get thru these hours. Almost 31 sober hours. This is the worst feeling.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Layali View Post
Hi! I'm glad you have a plan...
I am hoping that your husband really understands how serious this is for you. One thing I've learned is that when living with drinkers, it really is best when they know how serious of a problem drinking is for you. Otherwise, there is way too much wiggle room for your addictive voice to get in there.
Also, I personally would count this as day 1 for you. It seems obvious to me that you can't have just one, right? But yesterday you had four. Which honestly isn't even what most normal people drink on saturdays. I mean I don't think so.... many normal people have no drinks, a bunch seem to have one or two. Anyway I hope I'm not sounding mean or anything... I'm just trying to help. I just really love that you have a plan all set up and you seem pretty hopeful. So I hope that your talks with your husband go well and that he understands what you're going through. I think that's very important.
Thanks Latakia! You know, I really thought my husband understood how serious it was but he thinks I should be able to moderate so I guess he really doesn't huh? And you are right, I need to consider this day one. Four is just too many, That's ok, October 1st is a great day to have as a sobriety day. I have the "Im done drinking app" and it counts days but also money and calories saved so I love seeing it climb but that's ok, it will get up there soon enough! :-)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Layali View Post
I'm here!! So um.... I quit alcohol last February, and haven't had a drop for a little over 1 year and 7 months. HOWEVER, recently I've been stressed and went back to abusing other things.... mostly over the counter stuff... I feel so stupid, but it's like I've been taking bits and pieces of everything I can think of that can get me high.... just not alcohol. :/

I'm here to see if I can shake this. I don't want it to turn into something worse... the OTC stuff is pretty dangerous because of so many chemicals and tylenol and other stuff put into it. And of course the slippery slope of wanting to take sips of mouthwash or take cough syrup and so on (and T1's aaaarrrrgh) Sorry - I can't remember if we're not supposed to mention certain substances or not??

Anyway I have to learn to manage my stress without all of this stuff.
Welcome to everyone else joining the October class. October is my favourite month!! I wish everyone well.
just out of curiousity.. when you guys are talking about abusing OTC stuff what do you mean? Like abusing Tylenol? Sleeping pill? Is the purpose to get high? I guess I didn't realize there was otc drugs that did that.. :-).
Old 10-01-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clearlyheaded View Post
mandosca - I think the most important thing is for you to be honest with yourself. What does that 4 drinks mean to YOU? Is your AV trying to minimize what it means by making you question if you need to reset your day count?
I think you're right.. and the fact that I'm questioning it at all tells me that I should be considering myself back on day one.. :-)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mandosca View Post
just out of curiousity.. when you guys are talking about abusing OTC stuff what do you mean? Like abusing Tylenol? Sleeping pill? Is the purpose to get high? I guess I didn't realize there was otc drugs that did that.. :-).
For me it is OTC sleep aids (or a dose of NyQuil -- or a combo). At first I used it to help me sleep during periods of insomnia. But I actually thought to myself, hey, I can get sort of the same effecting of drinking without alcohol! Cool! That's when, if I was being honest with myself, that I was taking to get that drunk/drugged feeling over anything else.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I use to take sleep aids. I have a terrible time sleeping. Could of been the booze or caffine. I had a hard time staying asleep so I would take them during the night. I use herbal teas now.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Class of October 2017

Hey,
October in the past has always been my "black moon", seasonal depression strikes. So this has been the month for me to go off the wall and do something crazy, while intoxicated. Not this time, I am living October sober! I am on day 9 and counting, by the minuet.
Thanks for the support.

We got this. This is the only way to live, I for 1 am not a "normie", and I finally accept that!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Hey,
October in the past has always been my "black moon", seasonal depression strikes. So this has been the month for me to go off the wall and do something crazy, while intoxicated. Not this time, I am living October sober! I am on day 9 and counting, by the minuet.
Thanks for the support.

We got this. This is the only way to live, I for 1 am not a "normie", and I finally accept that!
Great going on Day 9. Can't wait to have more sober time racked up. We can do this! I'm on Day 2...guess you have to start somewhere!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Hey,
Thanks for the support.

I have that SAD too but got a light lamp 3 years ago and best thing I ever did. It really helps 30 mins every morning. I have the Lumie sad one but there are many available
Old 10-01-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mandosca View Post
Well where I live, you can ask for Tylenol with codeine. I mean they'll even sel you a bottle with 200 pills. So 300mg tylenol and 8mg codeine per pill. My tolerance was never that high so even with two pills I could feel it. Of course, the tolerance builds up...some people end up taking handfuls at a time, seriously damaging their liver because of all the tylenol. It's frightening. They're very addictive and I wish they weren't OTC here.

Also, cough medicine and some cold & allergy pills both seem to get me a bit high. Like the allergy pills are mild though, and usually have tylenol...the cough syrup..... well, I'll just say I really really like the high. But I've only *really* abused it once before, a long long time ago....I mean there were other times where I tried to take some but it was out of a cabinet and there wasn't much there. But then just recently, I started getting back into that and that's not a good sign. Because you know, I'm a "grown up" now who can go out and buy her own things.... not always a good thing to be able to do!! So yeah. Experimenting with otc things is dangerous because they have so many other dangerous chemicals in them. Like mouthwash...it's not the alcohol that's even the worst part, but all of the other stuff. So I'm trying to stay away from that for sure for sure. Geez I never knew it would come to this though.... :O
Old 10-01-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sliding into October with 8 days under my belt. I didn't quite make it through September, I feel like my resolve is stronger this time!
Old 10-01-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Great going on Day 9. Can't wait to have more sober time racked up. We can do this! I'm on Day 2...guess you have to start somewhere!
ChloeRose63: I am happy you had the chance to have a day 1! Being at day 2 is even better. You can do this
Old 10-01-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Sean,Mandosca, ClearlyHeaded, DreamCatcher Zoos and anyone my old brain missed

D
Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Day 2 for me. Feeling tired and need rest. My mind is a mess so I cannot concentrate on my recovery plan yet. I just want to get thru these hours. Almost 31 sober hours. This is the worst feeling.
Day 2 for me too. And yeah this has been a really really rough couple of days. Although honestly not near as bad as Friday...trying to keep that in mind to get through the next couple days. And yeah definitely the worst feeling - miserable. Came real close to getting something tonight...step down method rationale and all. Somehow I made it past everything and got home to a cup of sleepy time tea. Unfortunately my heart is pounding and my mind is racing - I'm gonna try to stick to the tea but I'm not sleepy and there's the nagging knowledge that somehow the other night I didn't drink all the beer and there's still some in the garage fridge.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone in the October class! I was in the Sept class and now am ending my 34th full day without a drink! Not going to say it has been all roses but it’s totally worth the ride! I am compiling a list of everything that has changed for me in the short period and hope to share soon. Best thing by far though has been the amazing feeling of waking up each morning sober! Best feeling in the world! Happy October to all!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by PerplexednLost View Post
Day 2 for me too. And yeah this has been a really really rough couple of days. Although honestly not near as bad as Friday...trying to keep that in mind to get through the next couple days. And yeah definitely the worst feeling - miserable. Came real close to getting something tonight...step down method rationale and all. Somehow I made it past everything and got home to a cup of sleepy time tea. Unfortunately my heart is pounding and my mind is racing - I'm gonna try to stick to the tea but I'm not sleepy and there's the nagging knowledge that somehow the other night I didn't drink all the beer and there's still some in the garage fridge.
Get rid of the beer. I'm sure the smell of it will make you sick. I never want to have another beer in my life. I drank for 3 days all the beer I could handle. I am suprised I wasn't sicker. I cannot drink alcohol. It controls me. Not a good thing.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Morn all i am also on day 2 x
I had such a thirst last night not for alcohol just juice i ended up having ginger ale. Didnt have the best night sleep as usual, sweats, dreams, restless and have woke up with a tense jaw and tongue this morn so i a have been to the shops bought a couple of books and some chocolate and am now relaxing here and then off to read .

Great to see so many posts already and thanks for the congrats on me going to be first time grannie x i am really excited about it even though my daughter lives 6 -7 hrs away from me but i will still be there for her anytime when she needs me x

I do hope u all have a good day and will catch u all later xx
Old 10-02-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Day 2

Starting to feel better now and accepting that my relapse happened and I can only move forward now. Moving into a flat today which will take my mind off things, it’s certainly going to be an alcohol free, safe haven for me.