Notices

My first post

Old 09-29-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post

Hey All,

Delighted to find this forum and I have read through some of the previous posts and already found inspiration.

I have only decided to address my issue this week and decided to quit alcohol for good after another weekend of debauchery, no sleep, broken promises and Class A substances. My habit is now interfering with my professional and personal life and I am unable to have even the most low key social drink without it turning into a massive session. I find myself drinking with absolutely anybody that still wants to party (often at my own expense) and making decisions and going places I simply wouldn’t when sober.

I have some key challenges in terms of social events, beginning this evening, but I feel like I am finally ready for the challenge.

It has occurred to me that I have wasted thousands of pounds and hundreds of days (hungover) over the last ten years. No more.

Thanks

J
Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jaime.
Lots of support here.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you've decided to live a sober life.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

These realizations your having are really good, they allow you too be honest with yourself and that honesty will help you stay sober.
Here’s too another day of yeah working hard and things maybe getting a bit sticky and messy because we still live life and it’s not always the Easy there will be hard times but it’s normal and I can promise you will pull through them.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR😀 There's lots of resources and support if you need. I've only be sober 25 days but posting here often has really helped me through the last few weeks. Good luck James!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done for facing up to things and deciding to take some action.
Just keep in mind that NOTHING can make you drink except you.
No event, meeting, outing, social circle or situation can force you to drink if you do not want to.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by JaimePique View Post
I have some key challenges in terms of social events, beginning this evening, but I feel like I am finally ready for the challenge.
Quitting has enough challenges without adding to them by putting yourself in situations that provide temptations to drink. If you are ready for sobriety, then start making the changes you need to support that decision. And one of those changes may be to avoid events where there is going to be drinking.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jamie

I got to agree with Carl - I found life threw more than enough things to test me without me picking more.

Its not weak to decline an invitation - I looked at it as an investment on my sober future.

I had a sobriety 'baby' that needed my care and protection for a few months.

D
Old 09-29-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi J - it's so good to have you with us.

That was the hard part for me - admitting there would never, ever be just one drink. Once the first one was in my system, anything could happen. I always drank more than I intended, with disastrous results. I let it go on far too long. I'm so glad you're seeing what needs to be done. Welcome to an encouraging place, where we all understand.