Notices

What a week

Old 09-30-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good to see your ready for the day Thomas.
I don’t live a million miles away from you and the sun is splitting the trees here, great day for a walk!

I can relate to the bad food, I am terrible for that at the moment.
Luckily haven’t had any panic attacks since the last binge but I know what you mean when you say mentally we are not quite there yet.

Your much further on than me Thomas so be proud and wishing you a calm and enjoyable weekend.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Enjoy that walk. Exercise is so good for us in so many ways, but you know that. Making changes to your diet is difficult but I have found that with commitment and dedication it is possible. I know when I moved to Italy 11 years ago I did not eat so well and tried to keep that up here, going against the grain of the mediterranean diet. That didn't work for so long as there are just not as many opportunities to eat poorly here so my diet changed sort of automatically. Now when I do have the opportunity to eat poorly- visits to the US, or here by going to a junk food restaurant like McDonald's I feel very sick and it is not pleasurable at all. My tastes and desires have changed simply by making it habit. Now when I get one of those feelings of wanting to treat myself or go overboard eating, the subject of my desire is nearly always something healthy "oohhh, I am going to make a delicious home made tomato sauce and make a huge plate of pasta!" Not to say I don't have surgery or less healthy things still, I do, but they are not a big part of my diet.

I am so glad to hear that you have not had to deal with cravings, that is really a blessing. Do be sure not to let your guard down though. That beast can rear its ugly head when least expected.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Mera and silverback ,

I had a good walk today ,fortunately i'm in a country village . Got the scare of my life when a small deer came running right across the path and jumped over the fence into the field then I realised how lovely it looked and by the time i could snap a picture with my phone it was too far away .

I have cut down but not completely on sugary goodies in the evening .
Mera with you being a great pasta cook would it be true that if I eat a smallish pasta meal about an hour before bed it is good for regulating blood sugar during the night as it is a low GI food , I read that somewhere .

I am mindful of how the beast can raise its ugly head and I am never cocky or smug about my sobriety ,thank you for reminding me of this .

I feel better tonight than iv'e felt for some time like a small miracle happened since yesterday when I felt so rotten.

I hope everyone has a peaceful weekend .
Old 10-01-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Almost unheard off I l slept till 08:40 this morning , I see that as healing .
Old 10-01-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good for you. Nice longer lie in on a Sunday and why the hell not?

You are working hard at this.
Good for you
Old 10-01-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Where are u located Silverback4 ( general area is fine , so is anonymity ) .

You know sometimes we can work too hard at self improvement . I can sometimes find myself overthinking ,wanting too many things to change too quickly and end up stressing myself out .
I need to work harder at not working too hard .
Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post

I have cut down but not completely on sugary goodies in the evening .
Mera with you being a great pasta cook would it be true that if I eat a smallish pasta meal about an hour before bed it is good for regulating blood sugar during the night as it is a low GI food , I read that somewhere .
I'm a cook, not a nutritionist! However, yes, I think a light pasta meal would be good. They also make some really tasty whole wheat pastas now which cut out some of that while flour. It is interesting in Italy that the typical portion size of pasta is 70-80 grams per person whereas outside of Italy it is generally double that or more. We do usually have a second course following pasta though, followed by fruit for dessert.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

A little off topic here, but a very good brand of pasta that is exported and can be found in some supermarkets or specialty shops is Garofalo. Be sure to always cook the pasta according to the minutes listed on the package. Those outside of Italy tend to overcook pasta making it more of a mushy mess. Each shape and type of pasta (and differing based on brands, the balance of ingredients) has a specific cooking time for perfectly cooked al dente pasta.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
You know sometimes we can work too hard at self improvement . I can sometimes find myself overthinking ,wanting too many things to change too quickly and end up stressing myself out.
^This!^

At 6.75 months sober, I'm obsessed with all the health changes I haven't made in my life, to the point of diminishing the obvious benefits of my sobriety. I hope we can both be nicer to ourselves!