Notices

Here's my story..

Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here's my story..

I live in a very small hamlet in the middle of nowhere so there's no groups and if there was if one person saw me everyone would know I have a drinking problem. I guess I'm more of a binge Drinker I can go days without a drink but when I do drink I can't seem to stop I've been married a year and I've been able to hide it very well till lately and I'll be damned if I'm going to let drinking screw up my marriage I've never been happier in my life and I'm so scared of losing that. that's why I have to stop I just don't know how .. my husband isn't much of a drinker and if he knew I had a problem he would never drink around me but I'm scared to tell him cuz I know how he talks about people who drink too much and it's very negative and I don't want him to think of me like that. so I have to do this on my own the biggest obstacle I find when I'm trying not to drink is my mother is an alcoholic and she's always trying to get me to have a drink with her even when I tell her I don't want to drink anymore she 75 she lives next door to me so I can take care of her cuz she has COPD so I'm around her a lot so I was hoping I could find ideas on here and just talking about it I think will help me feel less alone in this process. physically I can go days so I don't think I have to worry about withdrawal it's just the habit and cravings I have to figure out how to control
Old 09-28-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to SR You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,
I fairly new to this as well, 33 days sober. I was a binge drinker too, but I binge drank every day.
What helped me in the first few weeks for breaking the habit and cravings.
I joined a support group (AA) but there are other's out there. I got a sponsor and talked to him everyday. I went to meetings everyday, and still do. Then I joined SR, and made a commitment everyday on the 24hr thread to take another sober day. I read and read loads of posts from others on here and it built up my motivation and let me know that I'm not alone in this struggle. I found out what my triggers were (driving home after work and passing the liquor store). I changed my routine and took a different route home.
Most importantly, I remembered how I felt on my last drunk, I was beaten into a state of complete guilt, shame and remorse. I was emotionally and mentally broken. I had to fully accept the fact that I can't drink alcohol like normal drinkers can and that I needed help.
There's lots of great people on here with loads of experience, strength and hope. I hope you find something on here that keeps you coming back.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and you will find lots of support here and I'm glad you found us and posted.

I was a closet drinker as well and tried very hard to hide it from my husband and everyone else. What I can tell you for sure is that alcoholism is progressive, and unless you stop drinking, it will get worse.

In the very early days, it helped me to change my routine. Early evening, after cleaning up from supper, was the worst time for me. So, I started going out for long walks. This helped me physically, mentally and spiritually. With the cravings, you need to do whatever it takes to ride it out. There is no way around it, but to go through it, and each time will get a bit easier.

It's important to know that stopping drinking is the first step, but I needed to make lifestyle changes to support my recovery. I could not be around alcohol or people drinking. It just didn't work for me. And, that included my mother, who was an alcoholic. I had to distance myself and am glad I did because I wouldn't have succeeded otherwise.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Beeyatch, good to meet you.

You are not going this alone as now you have all of us at SR. That is a significant point to make as I have been trying to address my alcoholism for many years but I'd never tried with a recovery community behind me. It's a totally different experience which has information, insight and most importantly hope for the future. My advice would be come here every day, read and post. People with years of sobriety will always help you out and point you in the right direction. For me walking (a lot), meditation, making a list of every horrible thing that alcohol has ever done to you and loads of good recovery reading has helped create a new way to live.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Beeyatch; so glad that you found us.

You have found a very supportive, understanding and encouraging forum. Hop3 that we can help you find lasting sobriety and recovery.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you this does help and feels good talking about finally and here at least it's with people like you that understand and don't judge. I wish I would have looked into this site long time ago, but hey better late than never right
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you and I really like that idea about making a list every time I have an urge I can read it and also by writing it to make it more real cuz I've been trying to hide it even from myself for so long
Old 09-28-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes being around my mother will be I think the hardest part of quitting but not having you in my life is just not an option she does depend on me she 75 years old and I can't turn my back on her I just won't hang around this much and that will help in and out kind of thing and I'm very lucky my husband doesn't drink at home and I think that's my biggest problem is drinking at home when I'm out camping or something I don't over drink I don't have the desire to get that drunk there's something about drinking at home and now the question is is it possible for an alcoholic to quit drinking but yet still have the occasional drink camping or do I have to stay away from it completely?

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome and you will find lots of support here and I'm glad you found us and posted.

I was a closet drinker as well and tried very hard to hide it from my husband and everyone else. What I can tell you for sure is that alcoholism is progressive, and unless you stop drinking, it will get worse.

In the very early days, it helped me to change my routine. Early evening, after cleaning up from supper, was the worst time for me. So, I started going out for long walks. This helped me physically, mentally and spiritually. With the cravings, you need to do whatever it takes to ride it out. There is no way around it, but to go through it, and each time will get a bit easier.

It's important to know that stopping drinking is the first step, but I needed to make lifestyle changes to support my recovery. I could not be around alcohol or people drinking. It just didn't work for me. And, that included my mother, who was an alcoholic. I had to distance myself and am glad I did because I wouldn't have succeeded otherwise.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Beeyatch View Post
is it possible for an alcoholic to quit drinking but yet still have the occasional drink camping or do I have to stay away from it completely?
As Betty Ford said, 'Once you cross the invisible line, you can never go back'. I think every single member here has asked that question, often multiple times, and I, personally, determined to be able to control my drinking. It does not work. What happens when you are an alcoholic who tries to moderate her drinking is that you obsess about alcohol. All my energy was devoted to figuring out when I would next be able to drink, how much, who would be there, etc. Most often, we end up worse off than we were before.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I asked the same question you asked about 'just one'..what's the point in just one?; is where that got me, a few years later. You do not have to drink booze with your mother. not at all! That's just your mind telling you it's 'normal'.. Normal people do not search out recovery forums on the internet. I thought I was ' a different type. nothing was wrong in my life,ect..' That's until it was and I had lost control.. Seek support where ever you can get it. Sooner rather than later(like me).
Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

Being around a drinker is rough but you'll find a lot of success stories and support here

Might want to change your user name to something more positive tho?

D
Old 09-28-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beeyatch View Post
my own the biggest obstacle I find when I'm trying not to drink is my mother is an alcoholic and she's always trying to get me to have a drink with her even when I tell her I don't want to drink anymore she 75 she lives next door to me so I can take care of her cuz she has COPD
You need to have a serious sit-down talk with her and tell her you have a drinking problem and that you've decided never to drink again. If she continues to badger you and tries to encourage you to drink it's completely unacceptable and disrespectful to you. Since you're taking care of her, you hold the power in this situation. You need to be clear to her and yourself: I don't drink anymore. Period. Not one glass of champaign at New Year's Eve, not one glass of wine during the holidays. You simply do not drink. This clarifies things and makes it easier on you in the long run. There is no "moderation" for us.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beeyatch is my old World of Warcraft username I use it for everything now LOL

=Dee74;6619636]Welcome

Being around a drinker is rough but you'll find a lot of success stories and support here

Might want to change your user name to something more positive tho?

D[/QUOTE]