Notices

Nurses in recovery?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nurses in recovery?

Hi, not sure anyone can answer my question, but I am in nursing school. I have just recently realized I am an alcoholic (no pills, but lots of booze) and have started going to AA and working with a sponsor. I have another two semesters left to nursing school and then hope to start applying for jobs. My question: if I disclose to my own GP that I am in recovery, is it possible for that information to get back to potential employers and if it does, will I not be hired because of this fact?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, ceejay.
Welcome, and congratulations on your recovery.
I am not in the medical profession, nor have I ever been, so this is my opinion only.
Hopefully, others with more specific experience will be along.
I guess that it depends on how seriously your GP takes patient-physician confidentiality .
Most physicians, ime, take it very, very seriously.
They may even be barred by Hippa law to disclosing anything about their patients.
Again, not an expert here.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ceejay and welcome

I don't know the answer to your question but maudcat makes a great point about HiPAA.

What I do know is that I've seen several nurses lose their career over their drinking.

I'm glad you're going to AA with a sponsor - it's really important to do something about our problem.

D
Old 09-28-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey ceejay, (RN here)
Just my opinion. You should absolutely be upfront with your GP that you are in recovery. He/she has taken an oath to uphold and protect your information, and violating HIPAA laws is an offense that can strip medical professionals of their license.
You may want to stay on the low down, however, with your classmates and your school environment. No need for them to know and as people can suck and gossip, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to divulge this information to them.
Very exciting you are becoming a nurse. There are always jobs available and you can pretty much make your own path.
Just a little story. I found out a co worker from the past got a DUI (many of us where I work currently know her). She then drove right away with a suspended license and got pulled over and got thrown in jail AGAIN. She is still working but who knows what will happen once she goes to court.
DON'T be that person. This is a perfect time to embrace sobriety as you start your new life.
Lots of luck and hugs.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2/2016

I am not a nurse. I went to see an addiction counselor about my drinking. I work in health care. She was going to report me and put me on probation, but she could not as I am not licensed. I thought I was protected, but if you treat patients, they can disclose. Most nurses I know pay out of pocket and lie about their profession to get help.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting point, Htown.
And a good point from KES about not going into your recovery with colleagues and classmates.
I don't speak about my recovery, except to close family and one or two friends.
It isn't shame. It just isn't any of their business.
I also think it can change someone's perception of me, not for the better.
There are a lot of misperceptions about alcohol use disorder.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi CJ

In the UK, medical professionals (including GP's) protect confidentiality unless it in the public interest not to. For example, they may report a patient to the DVLA if they know they are driving and have been advised that for some medical reason, not to. This scenario is not likely to cause you a problem as you are abstinent. It also doesn't happen often.

When you apply for a job, you may be asked to complete a health form declaring your medical history (this process is reliant on the honesty of the applicant). However, you may also be asked to give written CONSENT for your GP/other health professional to be approached for a medical report. This is more likely to be requested if you declare any significant medical history on the form. If your give consent, the GP WILL release information requested by your potential new employer (or their occupational health department, which will keep the information medically confidential, but use the information to advise the employer of your fitness to work as a nurse). Note that a history of alcohol misuse, if you are abstinent, may not necessarily be a barrier to practising as a nurse. If you don't give consent when it is requested, your fitness cannot be determined and you are unlikely to get started in the role.

Hope this helps

Carly
Old 03-16-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am looking to become a nurse in Colorado. Sorry to digress, but it seems background checks are required for school, the NCLEX, and for a job. I have a DUI, without any other convictions.

Has anyone with a DUI successfully become an RN, or have had heard of anyone becoming a nurse with a driving misdemeanor?