Notices

The promise of no drinking is fading

Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The promise of no drinking is fading

I sit here today and all I can think about is from like the day I can remember I have made up lies so ppl wouldn’t hate me or be friends with me because for some reason I always thought I was less then or worth less I was a loser I guess and so many times still in my 30s I think I am still one.
Today at work a girl from my high school came in she has her PhD and is getting married and they bought a house and I can’t help but fell so small and like a wade once again. I mean coming face too face with my family last week Thursday about how bad my drinking had gotten again after five years plus the death of my grandma and we where so close it just feels like I’ve stained myself for life as an untrustworthy person when in my heart I know that’s not who I want too be and yet it seems for so long it’s who I’ve been.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can get it back. You had five good years. You can have that again and more. Please don't give up on yourself.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You're four days sober, which is awesome. But it's also just four days of a journey that's going to take longer for you to see "the promise."

Just promise us you won't drink. Cause alcohol's promise is fleeting.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not a loser. You are on your own journey through this life and it's not helpful to compare yourself to others who are on their own journey. You have made a great positive change in your life and you will see the benefits of your sobriety.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can overcome all of this. I have faith in you!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mielz

I've done more in the last ten years than I did in the 20 before that when I was drinking.

Try and not get stuck in the past - it's gone, it's done and cannot be changed.

There is however an incredible amount of things we can achieve today tomorrow, and throughout the rest of our lives

It is never too late for change.

you're at a crossroads - you know the path that leads back to drinking and what that entails...take the other path

D
Old 09-26-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are in your 30's? You can still earn a college or advanced degree, get married, buy a house. Maybe your high school friend's success can motivate you to set a goal and work toward it. Being sober right now is a pretty amazing accomplishment to be incredibly proud of!
To paraphrase what you said: find that "person you really want to be" and become her.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Stains wash off no matter your age..
You are as good as any girl with a house or a phd.
Sobriety brings freedom to us alcoholics.
See you around Mielz
Old 09-26-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All of us lie to feed the addiction. Come to terms that you are an addict like all of us. We are not bad people at all. Think about it. Addicts helping other addicts to deal with problems. The shame will go away when you can admit that you have a problem you can't control on your own. Just like all of us. We couldn't control it and it beat us all. But we have a way to deal with this disease, to change and improve our lives.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

Don't let it fade. Turn up the volume. 30s is nothing, your life hasn't even started yet, way too early to throw in the towel.