Notices

When it finally *CLICKED*

Old 09-29-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me, I woke up with a bad hangover and only a fuzzy memory of the night before. The wife was angry and I was, overall, just feeling miserable. I went online that morning and found the Life Process Program (I wanted something I could work through by myself online - just suits my personality better I think).

It's funny, because on my credit card statement for the month there were only about 5 charges - a series of small charges from the 7-11 near my house for beer, including one final such charge late on the last night of drinking, then a charge for the Life Process Program early the next day, then nothing else. Haha.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just sat down and started looking at the overall picture one night and figured out that I actually hate alcohol and it wasn't really benefiting me nor was it for a person with my personality. Also, getting honest input from friends and family sort of confirmed what I thought.

Why would I do something I hate? To fit in? No thanks.

Then I found this site and got good advice along with making a few friends. I only have 12-days sober as of now but that's what made everything 'click' for me and made me realize it is time to quit for good!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Very relatable. When I get to a longer and longer amount of time sober things don't necessarily always get easier. Also, I have to learn how to be more present in every situation. I am glad you are feeling more comfortable in your "sober skin"

congrats on 8 months

Originally Posted by KES06 View Post
My first attempt at sobriety lasted about 5 months, but it was for all of the wrong reasons. I was doing it to "prove" I wasn't an alcoholic and could quit. A bad relationship where my S.O. stole lots of money from me while I was wasted all of the time (mainly because I was miserable with him) spurred that on. I went to see a friend one weekend and..........there went that.
This time I know it will last. I took a hard look at how alcohol was affecting my life. I was calling into work a lot, lying to those I love, hiding my habit, spending way too much money at my local bar etc. For me, personally, I need to "mentally prep" for big life decisions. So around November of last year, I set a quit date of Feb 2017. I went and saw my gf for one last boating/party weekend, came home, and was done. I'm 8 months in and it has NOT been easy. But I'm becoming more and more comfortable in my "sober skin". Sobriety is becoming more natural, now, versus just getting by "one day at a time". I'm truly looking forward to the future, now. I recently found out I'm going to have to move due to a rent raise, and where as before while drinking I'd be freaking out and procrastinating, this time I'm actually excited and looking forward to moving.
Life's challenges when sober become much easier to navigate. My mind is clear, I have goals and can think ahead, and I just KNOW that I'll be okay no matter what, because I will be present in every moment.
I wouldn't say sobriety has been "fun", but the alternative, being drunk, hungover and ashamed, just isn't an option anymore. It is NEVER worth it.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am so glad that you have been able to follow suggestions from your sponsor and have 8 1/2 months. It must feel great that you're heading into a year almost! Also, glad you can see that AA is not for everyone.

Originally Posted by shortrows View Post
AA is currently working for me - though I know it isn't for everyone.

What felt like struggle and effort and fighting suddenly began to feel like a gentle, very gradual surrender. I realised that while alcohol was causing me huge amounts of problems, the actual problem was me and I had to get at the root of things. It hasn't been an easy process. But I have inched along, following suggestions from my sponsor and others at meetings, and I am eight and a half months without a drink. That feels like a kind of miracle to me.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"I will never go back to that old life. It's over and done with"

Very motivating^

However, I am afraid that as an addict using the word "never" should come with a caution. Although I admire conviction in long-term sobriety it is always important to remember that we must always remain constantly aware of our feelings/thoughts, tools to stay sober as our disease can take us out at any time if we become too comfortable.

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I did have an "aha" moment - I was sitting in the police station, being booked for my third DUI (I had run into a parked car while texting my best friend, lying to him that I was already home), and a feeling of total despair and surrender washed over me. After I got picked up from the police station and was back home, I called a friend I knew was sober and in AA and asked for help. He took me to my first meeting and recommended a treatment program, which I began one week after the arrest.

Surrendering and admitting I was out of control and needed help was the first step. When I went to that meeting and saw Step 1, I knew I was in the right place. A feeling of relief and joy washed over me when I realized I didn't have to do it alone and that there was hope.

Has it been easy? No. It's been a lot of work and there's been a lot of pain along the way as I worked to repair the damage I had done to my life and the people in it. But as time goes on, I know absolutely that nothing good ever came from my drinking and that I will never go back to that old life. It's over and done with. Life is so much better now, and just keeps getting better.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sweet!

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
There was nothing that really clicked for me, it was simply a matter of putting the plan of action in motion. Just like I've done with other things in my life. Things like reaching a financial goal, or getting my body in shape or tackling a large project. I rolled up my sleeves and got to work on sobriety. It was the most important thing in my life for at least 4 months. It controlled my every moment. Now, I just live my life. Rarely does the pull of booze enter my mind. Not sure if that helps you, but it has been my experience.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Applying antidotes to problems sounds great!

Originally Posted by Treefellow50 View Post
That clicks with me too on many levels... If we can get ourselves into a mess we must be able to get ourselves out of one... Apply antidotes to problems I find helps, such as if I find myself bored or time which would have lent itself to drinking do something else... Live!
Old 10-01-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow! I've never heard of the Life Process Program. What does it entail? How has it helped?

Originally Posted by JT79 View Post
For me, I woke up with a bad hangover and only a fuzzy memory of the night before. The wife was angry and I was, overall, just feeling miserable. I went online that morning and found the Life Process Program (I wanted something I could work through by myself online - just suits my personality better I think).

It's funny, because on my credit card statement for the month there were only about 5 charges - a series of small charges from the 7-11 near my house for beer, including one final such charge late on the last night of drinking, then a charge for the Life Process Program early the next day, then nothing else. Haha.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love to hear when someone says SR was the key ingredient to a sober life

Originally Posted by DangerZone View Post
I just sat down and started looking at the overall picture one night and figured out that I actually hate alcohol and it wasn't really benefiting me nor was it for a person with my personality. Also, getting honest input from friends and family sort of confirmed what I thought.

Why would I do something I hate? To fit in? No thanks.

Then I found this site and got good advice along with making a few friends. I only have 12-days sober as of now but that's what made everything 'click' for me and made me realize it is time to quit for good!