Notices

Day four today

Old 09-25-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day four today

Hey guys so today I'm on day four of no drinking. I promised myself at the same time I would quit smoking cigarettes as I use them as a crutch too get me through my stress at times. Yesturday I wrote and email to my old pastor unloading all that I've been holding onto and that mixed with joining SR gives me abit of anxiety I know they are both helpful but the fear of being open n honest and real about it all and vulnerable makes me so anxious. Today is my grandmas funeral and so last night I couldn't sleep so I smoked a cigarette I know it's not drinking but giving in too that made me feel weak and like "oh shoot how quickly I rationalize that I can very easy do with booze" just need too be strong today. After today's funeral we are out of mourning and I return too work and real like a place I run from so feeling kinda freaked out and just thought I'd post it
Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

grats on 4

remember

our choice is between miserable unhappy drunken drinking or not taking 1 drink

its the 1st drink that gets us drunk not the 10th or 20th

we cant get drunk if we dont take that 1st drink

and

IT GETS BETTER !!!

Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Mielz.

There's nothing to fear here at SR - I hope you'll feel more comfortable here soon

D
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and I"m sorry to hear about your loss. Just stay the course, things will become more clear each day. The early days are certainly the most difficult. Hang in there.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry your grandma passed. I'm glad you are working on your sobriety, even within this difficult moment. It is the right thing to do. My parents passed 6 weeks apart and I used it to drink more. That was the very wrong answer. It extended the emotional healing and made it very hard. It has been almost four years since they passed and I feel like I am just now going to face that loss. Stay sober. The pain of loss is normal and healthy. Numbing it with alcohol, didn't save me or solve anything. It was all waiting for me when I got sober.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss, mielz. And while smoking is bad I think that if you can only manage to quit one at a time, quit drinking first! Not to rationalize the smoking but booze will kill you faster. Perfection can be the enemy of the good.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm also on day 4 of no booze and I'm finding it hard, it must be much harder for you but stay strong. Don't let the demons win.

An honest piece of advice as a smoker and now abstaining drinker is; get a vape! Nicotine and alcohol stimulate the same part of the brain so depriving it entirely will make keeping off both really difficult. Vaping is a lot cheaper than smoking and generally less harmful than smoking. It'll help you keep the cravings under control whilst allowing yourself something to reward your brain. You can gradually lower the nicotine levels and ween yourself off it as opposed to cold turkey that way too.

Don't beat yourself up over 1 cigarette. As others have said; it's drinking that really causes the bigger problems in life. 1 step at a time, 1 day at a time you can make your life a better place
Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluemilk View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm also on day 4 of no booze and I'm finding it hard, it must be much harder for you but stay strong. Don't let the demons win.

An honest piece of advice as a smoker and now abstaining drinker is; get a vape! Nicotine and alcohol stimulate the same part of the brain so depriving it entirely will make keeping off both really difficult. Vaping is a lot cheaper than smoking and generally less harmful than smoking. It'll help you keep the cravings under control whilst allowing yourself something to reward your brain. You can gradually lower the nicotine levels and ween yourself off it as opposed to cold turkey that way too.

Don't beat yourself up over 1 cigarette. As others have said; it's drinking that really causes the bigger problems in life. 1 step at a time, 1 day at a time you can make your life a better place
Thank you for the encouragement and the advice.
I’m not going to try and take on too much alcholol first and then the rest I came too that conclusion I have come too.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4 love !!!!!!