SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Brand new here - ready to take my life back! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/416430-brand-new-here-ready-take-my-life-back.html)

TheRestisMine 09-24-2017 12:11 PM

Brand new here - ready to take my life back!

I am 35 years old and have been a heavy drinker since the age of 12. I last drank on Thursday the 21st. I decided to drop the habit because it has not only poisoned my body, but it has poisoned my relationships, my fitness, my career and every other aspect of my being.

It is not too late for me or any of you. I am glad to have found a place to share my thoughts and feelings as I embark on this journey of sobriety.

AshleyB 09-24-2017 12:13 PM

CONGRATS ON TAKING THE FIRST STEP!!!!!!
If you ever need people to talk to, you can just click on the chat at the bottom right of the page we will all be there for you!:You_Rock_

TheRestisMine 09-24-2017 12:20 PM

Thanks Ashley

I read around a good bit yesterday at different sites and started to feel inspired. I then downloaded a book called Dry Augusten Burroughs, it's a good read thus far. I then decided to find a community and that led me here.

If you don't mind my asking what's your story and how are you coping?

:thanks

ReadyAtLast 09-24-2017 12:45 PM

Welcome to SR - this is a great place for support and strength. :)

LovePeaceSushi 09-24-2017 12:55 PM

Great to have you here! Throw that lasso around life!!!

least 09-24-2017 01:29 PM

Welcome to the family. :) Congrats on taking the first step towards a good sober life. :hug: We are here to support and help you. :)

Hevyn 09-24-2017 01:32 PM

Glad to meet you, TheRest! You're in good company here. :)

I was much older when I finally took my life back. I'm glad you're taking action now - you'll be avoiding so much heartache & misery. Welcome!

TheRestisMine 09-24-2017 01:58 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the support. I just popped in during a break in the football game. Didn't expect so many responses.
You guys are great!

Dee74 09-24-2017 03:45 PM

Welcome TheRestisMine - tons of support and understanding here for sure :)

D

SaturatedSeize 09-24-2017 04:48 PM

Welcome and congrats on making the necessary steps! Recognizing the impact your drinking has had isn't as easy as it should be for us. This community has been pivotal in my sobriety and I check in every morning and evening. 7 days for me, that hasn't been possible for me for years.

Take each day independently and continue on your journey with us.

TheRestisMine 09-24-2017 05:28 PM

So true

Originally Posted by SaturatedSeize (Post 6615288)
Welcome and congrats on making the necessary steps! Recognizing the impact your drinking has had isn't as easy as it should be for us. This community has been pivotal in my sobriety and I check in every morning and evening. 7 days for me, that hasn't been possible for me for years.

Take each day independently and continue on your journey with us.

Recognizing the impact was especially hard for me, because I didn't want to see it. I convinced myself it wasn't so bad. Until one day I opened up to someone and every day since then has been eye opening.

rascalwhiteoak 09-24-2017 06:17 PM

I read Dry years ago and loved it. I never thought of it as a recovery book, but that makes sense in retrospect :)