Notices

Why do I feel worse 😢

Old 09-23-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do I feel worse 😢

I just wondered if anyone had experienced feeling worse in week 4 than week 1. After the first few days I felt so much physically and mentally better but now 3 weeks later feel awful.

I've had a bad week emotionally and keep thinking tomorrow will be better but I'm so so tired and have no enervy. I've seen my gp and had bloods checked. All OK apart from high cholesterol so watching what I eat. I'm sleeping well too well really. I slept in this morning till 9 which is unheard of but still felt tired all day.

I'm not new to recovery as had 3 plus years until last year but I can't remember if I was like this last time or not.

I take a mild anti d. And anxiety drug.10mg. I don't want to increase the dose as tried 20 mg a few years ago and it made me feel too numb.

I just wondered if anyone felt emotionally raw and down in the first few weeks after the first euphoria of quitting and when you started to feel better. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 weeks ReadyAtLast...I'd say that it definitely takes time for our bodies and minds to recover from the physical and psychological consequences of drinking. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 09-23-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in week 2 and i'm feeling extremely exhausted myself
Old 09-23-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't have any euphoria/pink cloud time and yes, I definitely felt emotionally raw for a month or so. It does take time and patience to deal with the emotions.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You will get back into that groove you had before RAL. Four weeks is great. Hang In there!!!
Old 09-23-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think highly charged emotional weeks can take a toll on physical well being too RAL?

Its not been the best week for you so maybe thats a factor?

D
Old 09-23-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay strong it is only a passing moment. Early weeks are tough sometimes,
Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi RAL😀 I've only got three weeks but I had a bit of sober time before too and I don't feel amazing either. For me, it's sinking in that there are quite a few things I need to do differently this time. Sometimes it's only small stuff but they are changes nonetheless. Thanks for posting and I hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My experience was that if I stopped drinking and did nothing to treat my alcoholism, my life got worse and I eventually became so miserable that I drank again. But that is because I am an alcoholic. Being sober in my experience, was never any fun. It wasnt until I found a different approach to life that being sober became worthwhile.

If I were a problem drinker, where alcohol rather than alcoholism was the problem, stopping drinking would fix everything.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Morning all and thank you for your responses.

I haven't had the best of weeks which can't have helped. You're right Dee.

I had a long walk yesterday and will do the same today plus do some gym work even for 10/15 minutes every day- try to shake me out of this mood.

Oh I wish the sun would shine.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi RAL. I'm sorry you are not feeling great and I hope your mood lifts soon. I'm sober round about the same time as you and my emotions have been all over the place. I didn't really have complete euphoria but I can be really happy, full of energy and certain about my sobriety at times and at other times Im miserable, stressed and feel really defeated. Usually in the evening which coincides with strong cravings. I reckon it's just the way of it and things will balance out. I think my AV is in the huff cause its not getting fed! Hang in there, Im sure it will get better.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on week 4 as well, and I feel pretty much exactly as you describe. Hope it will pass
Old 09-24-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Gabe and Sobertyger. Sorry to hear you're both feeling down too but I suppose it helps us now that this IS normal to feel this way at this time.

that's it Gabe - I'm not unhappy as sometimes I feel happy and full of energy but then feel weepy ad tired later on.

I do have SAD too and wondered if that's kicking in earlier than normal with the weather being so awful here of late. I have dug out my light lamp and sitting in front of it now. 1/2 hour a day helps balance me out completely- even feel more hopeful just switching it on
Old 09-24-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Readyatlast ,sorry you had a rough week . Im not much in front of you sober wise , well done on 4 weeks . I relate to much of what you say in your post , the weather , SAD ( I think i,ll get a SAD light this year too . If I over do the chores I am deflated next day and nap 2 or 3 times during the day and ready for bed at 9pm .
Gotalife :If I were a problem drinker, where alcohol rather than alcoholism was the problem, stopping drinking would fix everything.

I love that .
Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks Thomas

I definitely recommend the light. I use the Lumie SAD light one. People think I'm crazy ( maybe I am a bit ) but it works for me. my GP recommended it about 3 years ago - he also has one on his desk in the surgery so I took that as a very good recommendation. I have 1 on my desk at work and put it on for 1/2 hour each morning when I go into work. we also have one at home which my husband uses and I use at the weekend. usually I only start using it when the clocks go back at the end of October but do feel miles better having used it this morning