Notices

Rapid heartbeat

Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rapid heartbeat

Hello everyone,

It's day 6 for me and most of the other symptoms have gone. The sweats, the shakes, the usual. I've already been to the doctor. She took my pulse and B/P and gave me a script for Xanax. They ran out the night before last. Luckily, I've got some beta blockers handy for panic disorder.
I've always hated being aware of my pulse and the thought occurred to me that maybe I'm overemphasizing, because of withdrawals. Just wondering, does anyone else have any experience of this and what was the duration, roughly, I know, everyone's different. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job making it to Day 6!

I'm afraid that any answers you get to your question won't be very useful. Here's why:

1) As you said, everyone's different. So much so that there's really no "standard" for severity or duration of any particular symptom.

2) Even in a single individual, successive detoxes often result in worsening withdrawals -- sometimes dramatically. It's called "kindling." So you can't really predict how a certain detox is going to go based on the last one.

If you stay the course and don't drink again, it's pretty certain that all of your withdrawal-related symptoms WILL eventually go away. If you drink again, all bets are off.

Hope you make the decision to stop drinking for good, and to use SR as a resource for making a recovery plan.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day six is a great place to be. Keep an eye on the heart rate, I was having issues with it and it wasn't related to drinking. I ended up seeing a cardiologist, and had a procedure to address the SVTs I was having. If they don't go away follow up with your doctor.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I often have anxiety with my heart rate, just to check it and everything is perfectly normal. Breathing exercises and meditation helps quite a bit.
It's still early in your recovery so there will be a lot of discomfort and changes going on. You can always check back in with your doc in a few weeks to see how things are going.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The few times I went through withdrawals I checked my pulse obsessively. It was ridiculous. My heart got really funky when withdrawing. That alone was reason enough to quit.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Andante, ironically I was just reading your posts on paws last night . I'll look up kindling. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Delilah, I'll probably get an ECG just in case but I think it's stress related, as it gets worse when I'm alone at night. The times I associate with drinking, basically.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Forward, I'm really sensitive to caffeine even decaf. I quit yesterday and that seems to have made a difference.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Forward, that's funny, I usually get mad cravings but they've definitely been on the back burner, since I got these palpitations. I haven't even thought of going to the off-licence. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great Job on six days👍 I guess if the doctor wasn't too worried you should try to put it out of your mind.