Notices

Triggers everywhere because I drank on every occasion.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers everywhere because I drank on every occasion.

So I was going through my triggers and cravings etc, to notice - my whole life is mostly a trigger.

- walk home from gym
- just a general walk
- after work car trip
- after work
- when the there's nothing to do
- mowing the lawn
- cleaning the shed or tool boxes
- BBQ
- restaurants
- in the pool
- listening to music in bed

You get the drift.

I celebrated every activity with beer whilst in the process. And then binge in the evening. Looks like I gotta do everything differently.

Which makes me So glad to be on day 7 and looking to my bedside table I am extremely happy Iam making this choice to not have beer or wine there.

I've also noticed I have not stressed about "quitting" for the last 7 days. So much EFFORT used to go into thinking "I gotta stop, I gotta stop, I gotta stop this"

7 days of - freedom! Literally.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel you Renvate- hoping that as more time goes on our brains will adjust and we wont associate them so heavily!
Happy Friday Friend!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Being conscious was my main trigger. Unavoidable. There had to be better approach than trying to eliminate triggers, and there was.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It's nice, sometimes, to think of triggers. To point to "those things" out there, outside of me, that made me think of this or that....that caused me to want this or that....that made me do this or that.

Like GottaLife said - if one be alcoholic, the trigger isn't really an event, a thing, a happening, a memory or an occurrence. The real trigger is one's alcoholism - if the person involved is alcoholic.

Fully conceding to my innermost self that I'm alcoholic takes triggers - identifying all of them and learning to cope or handle them, right off the table. They become pointless and inconsequential. Win the real battle and the triggers disappear. The things that can crop up into our minds that we think are causing us to think about drinking are not, in and of themselves, causing anything. That we contemplate drinking is the result of untreated alcoholism. Treat the alcoholism, recover from that, and there isn't a such thing as a trigger anymore.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
It's nice, sometimes, to think of triggers. To point to "those things" out there, outside of me, that made me think of this or that....that caused me to want this or that....that made me do this or that.

Like GottaLife said - if one be alcoholic, the trigger isn't really an event, a thing, a happening, a memory or an occurrence. The real trigger is one's alcoholism - if the person involved is alcoholic.

Fully conceding to my innermost self that I'm alcoholic takes triggers - identifying all of them and learning to cope or handle them, right off the table. They become pointless and inconsequential. Win the real battle and the triggers disappear. The things that can crop up into our minds that we think are causing us to think about drinking are not, in and of themselves, causing anything. That we contemplate drinking is the result of untreated alcoholism. Treat the alcoholism, recover from that, and there isn't a such thing as a trigger anymore.
Good point day trader. And yes you are correct about it actually being alcoholism that's the trigger. I suppose what I meant is that I didn't realise how much energy I put into drinking, it started to become on every occasion without even realising, it felt so normal at the time, like everybody does it.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Imwoud

Ren,

I saw on tv...intervention...we have to change people, places, and things.

Easier said then done. I drank in my man cave, at my kids baseball practices, on the way home from work, in my gargage...etc.

So..I took up hobbies. My work out coach says when you need more time...stop doing something. I stopped drinking...my time increased.

I clean and shop more. I spend more time w my family. I go out to shows more.

My crave time is around 12 to 6 pm. When I feel ansy...I remind myself...I am craving. It goes away eventually. Then I get to wake up sober and hangover free. That is the best feeling.

Also, later in the evening...around mm 7 or 8 pm...I used to be wasted. I would leave my room, wasted, go down stairs and see my family. They would be doing their sober thing. I would feel like a piece of manure.

Not any more. Now I feel like a winner when I see them.

Still everyday, I thank God for my sobriety, but still look in the mirror and see an addict...for life.

The addiction never fully goes a way....it waits...weakly now...but it is patient.

Thanks.