Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Boy friend, new to my girl friends recovery. Need support and have questions.

Notices

Boy friend, new to my girl friends recovery. Need support and have questions.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Maybe she needs space. Emotionally and physically. As you say, you sleeping on the floor is YOUR need to be close to her. It's great you are there for her but perhaps you don't need to be physically in the same room as her.

As you say, you just sort of ended up living togteher. Do you have your own place still? Maybe go back to it and give her the space she needs, whilst telling her you are there for her. If she loves you she will come to you.

I know I'm still in my first month and really just need the space to do that. I have no time or energy for anyone else. As selfish as it sounds, it's true
Her and I have discussed maybe it is not best for me to be there and yes I do have my own place still. She convayed that she wanted me there just to bare with her. Last night I was all setup to sleep on the couch and she asked me to please come in and sleep in her room. So I did. The floor is really not a big deal to me. I lost count and yesterday was actually her 60th day sober. Before I fell asleep, I thanked her and told her what she has done is amazing and that she is my hero. She told me she could not of done it with out me. I responded yes you could and you have. We kissed and called it a night.

Congratulations on being in your first month! Stay strong and realize that you have the world at your finger tips right now! :0)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
My experience at 60 days was depression, zero libido, and the inability to be intimate with everyone.

That changed at about 90 days, when my libido came back with a vengeance, and slowly my need for connection returned.

Not sure if women had the same experience.
Her and I have been intimate on several occasions which I have always let her initiate. The times it happened she was like "hurry we need to do this now" While intimacy is a big topic, my underlying concern more so lies with her being affectionate, laying in the same bed and cuddling. She does not even know I'm on these forums and last night she once again brought up for me to bare with her, this will go away eventually. I also told her the anti depressant medication she is on may be contributing to it.

She is trying and I know it is really bothering her. I just think she needs time and not to be hassled about it. My problem is getting trapped inside my head and thinking it is me.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You're doing all you can and beyond. If you feel it may be you contributing and being there too much, then the only solution to put yourself at ease is to give her more space and let her come to you.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i would offer you caution:
that whole 90 days thing;
dont expect it. it could take much,much longer- a year or over- for some alcoholics to find themselves and start loving themselves again.

be careful not to suffocate someone ya love.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Its good that you are being so supportive, but the sleeping on the floor thing Is a little odd. You can still sleep in the bed and not cuddle or touch her? Its is a bit selfish for her to want you near her and not wanting you to sleep on the couch, but you have to sleep on the floor?
When you say that you lost her for 5 years to addiction, was she literally not seeing you and out using? Or where you there the whole time and she was just not the same person....
Good Luck with everything, it can be very difficult to understand someone in early recovery.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caprice6 View Post
You're doing all you can and beyond. If you feel it may be you contributing and being there too much, then the only solution to put yourself at ease is to give her more space and let her come to you.
I know it means a lot to her all I have done in standing by her through this difficult time. I'm a non custodial parent of two children and due to my living situation I'm no stranger to sleeping on the floor. I do not feel as if I'm contributing to much, if anything I wish I could do more.

I guess I just need reinforcement that this is part of her process like she has told me. It gets hard despite her telling me she loves me. I constantly go back and forth in my head saying is it me? Or is really part of the her process?

Earlier this month I attempted to create some distance between us and give her some space. We talked about it after I gentle did it and she did not like it, which was good because neither did I.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i would offer you caution:
that whole 90 days thing;
dont expect it. it could take much,much longer- a year or over- for some alcoholics to find themselves and start loving themselves again.

be careful not to suffocate someone ya love.
The 90 day thing is not a lock in my head. I realize everyone is different and she may be shorter or longer.

You bring up an excellent point about sufficating. I actually told her I was worried she was feeling that way a few weeks ago when she asked me to bare with her. She got a little apprehensive that I would even think that at first but I explained to her I'm not fighting the battle she is so sometimes I will need to ask questions like that.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icandothis20 View Post
Its good that you are being so supportive, but the sleeping on the floor thing Is a little odd. You can still sleep in the bed and not cuddle or touch her? Its is a bit selfish for her to want you near her and not wanting you to sleep on the couch, but you have to sleep on the floor?
When you say that you lost her for 5 years to addiction, was she literally not seeing you and out using? Or where you there the whole time and she was just not the same person....
Good Luck with everything, it can be very difficult to understand someone in early recovery.
She cheated on me and the guy she did it with was using so she did. Now to be fair and I'm not placing blame on my self but I will own my actions, I was not treating her right. Not in a violent or abusive way but more so in a you do not realize what you have until it is gone kind of way. We kept in touch and saw each other a lot afterwards but I have zero expereince with addiction and did not recognize the signs. This time last year I realized something was wrong and became very codependent on helping her. I never gave up but also never enabled. When I finally walked away was when she made the decision to recover. Much to my surprise one day out of the blue after 2 months of zero communication she contacted me and told me she was recovering. That will forever be one of the best days of my life! Right up there with the day my children were born.

I try not to over think things but coming here and talking is me looking out for my self. Doing something for me. I also keep in mind that I do not understand the battle she is fighting and as of right now I'm here for support. When she is more capable of handling the next level of our relationship she will let me know. Until then my first priority is me creating boundries and communicating why they are there, second her recovery and then third building our relationship.

We are very close and always have been. To the point where before I realized there was a problem she needed money I would bring it to her and she refused to take it from me. I did not realize what was going on then but knowing where she was at and why now really melted my heart that despite being sick, she would not take my money.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sylvie83 View Post
P.s. just read your other replies! Sorry
See why you say you're on the floor and what she has said too, but maybe have a think anyway

And the "friends an family" forum is still full of info I think you may find helpful.

Best of luck
I will hop over there. I did not realize there was one. Had I known I would have created this thread over there. Thank You :0)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're still co-dependent on her. Sleeping on the floor? That makes my back/neck hurt to read. I'd suggest reading the book "co-dependent no more". It took me a few months to get my head 'right' and when it was right I ended things with my long term GF who was still actively drinking. I grew to like the new me and not the same old her. It's quite amazing the mask of the active addict and what it hides from ones true self. Co-dependency is also an addiction(to me) btw. Welcome to SR.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lobo33 View Post
I know it means a lot to her all I have done in standing by her through this difficult time. I'm a non custodial parent of two children and due to my living situation I'm no stranger to sleeping on the floor. I do not feel as if I'm contributing to much, if anything I wish I could do more.

I guess I just need reinforcement that this is part of her process like she has told me. It gets hard despite her telling me she loves me. I constantly go back and forth in my head saying is it me? Or is really part of the her process?

Earlier this month I attempted to create some distance between us and give her some space. We talked about it after I gentle did it and she did not like it, which was good because neither did I.
If it works for you, I guess things would be fine but it's making you uneasy, question and doubt your relationship.
Recovery or not, imo you are compromising yourself too much to whatever her needs require.
It's difficult to point fingers, maybe the reasons lie somewhere in the middle.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lobo, you are always welcome to post here, too.

One thing that jumped out at me was the antidepressant you mentioned. It's not uncommon for antidepressants to cause loss of libido. It's something she might want to consider and possibly talk to her dr about.