SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/416296-new-here.html)

gslat12 09-21-2017 02:58 PM

New Here

Hello all. I have been reading a lot of the post on this site for the past couple of days. Seeking encouragement. My alcohol use probably escalated around 5 or 6 years ago. My drink of choice was usually whiskey. On most days I could consume probably 5-6 shots after work. Probably more on weekends (plus a couple of beers). On December 28th of last year I finally made the decision to quit. I did not have a single drop for around 3 months. I made the mistake of telling myself that a couple of drinks would be okay. This began a cycle of drinking for a week and abstaining for a week or so. And so on. I am on day 17 now without any alcohol. The anxiety, worrisome thoughts, and depression are so much worse this time. I went to see my GP this morning, and I was prescribed an antidepressant. I hope these help, because most days I feel as if I am going crazy from the anxiety and depression. I am also going to find a counselor/therapist this time around. I would greatly appreciate any encouragement or advice. Thank you.

nova84 09-21-2017 03:03 PM

Wishing you well gslat12 on your recovery journey 💜

Hevyn 09-21-2017 03:03 PM

Welcome gslat - it's so good to have you with us.

That was my problem too - acknowledging that there would never be 'one' drink for me. I spent many years trying all sorts of strategy to avoid getting drunk so I could be a social drinker. I don't remember even once being able to manage it.

Congratulations on your 17 sober days. You're in good company here.

Opivotal 09-21-2017 03:44 PM

Welcome, gslat!

I tried to remember every day sober was a step in the right direction. You're making fantastic progress. Seeing a Doctor was a great decision. One day at a time got me through many challenging days.

Our bodies need time to mend. Be kind to yourself. You're doing this!! :)

Ghostlight1 09-21-2017 11:48 PM

Hello and welcome.

My drinking escalated, too. I never could make it a week without drinking at the end, though. More like four days. Then, when things got really bad, I was drinking two shooters of whiskey on the way home at 8:30 in the morning after picking up a twelve pack.

I began to suffer debilitating anxiety, depression and fear. I lived like that for ten years. I won't bore you with the details, but I now where you're coming from.
Found out, when I sought help, that I had an underlying mental illness.
This explained a lot. I was prescribed meds and after I quit for good, things really got better.
I wish the same for you. And stick around here, you'll find a lot of support.
Best to you.

Stronger2017 09-22-2017 12:06 AM

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of help here.

D122y 09-22-2017 12:08 AM

Gslat,

I relate to the anxiety and obsession....and everything else you are feeling.

I managed over a year 2 times w a shot breaking them up.

I wasn't slipping in my mind at those times, but after coming here and talking about the slips, I decided the door may have been opening.

Your post is a vivid reminder of what happens when we relapse fully.

The brain can only take so much boozing before it starts to loose it for the long term. I am there.

I took 2 sleeping pills yesterday because I was feeling tons of stress and was running on about 4 hours of sleep. I was able to take them w 0 regret because I am alcohol free.

First sleeping pills I took in over 2 years. They really helped.

The sleep, for me, is critical to feeling normal. I was freaking out a bit yesterday.

The meds help.

Thanks.

Dee74 09-22-2017 12:43 AM

Welcome Gslat - I hope the anti depressants help :)
You'll find a lot of support here - glad to have you join us :)

D

MythOfSisyphus 09-22-2017 12:56 AM

Welcome to SR, gslat12! I'm glad you found us here.