Notices

My AV is planning to drink

Old 09-21-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I work on not paying attention to that voice and/or actively acting against it. (as in posting about this when that part of you didn't want to)

After decades of not drinking, once it woke up and I let it out of the cage, it was damn hard to get it back in there again and it still hasn't completely shut up. I told myself those same things about moderating and that I'd just stop again if it got out of control, but that took me over 4 years of increasing suffering before I could stop again.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Key words:
"My AV is planning to drink."

Your AV, not YOU. Tell that pesky, nasty voice to shut up and leave you alone. Say it out loud if you need to. You've been through this before - you know the deal. Remember the disappointment you have felt in the past when you've given in to that voice. You know how to be sober - 8 months is great! You know that you feel better and that most likely, you are a better parent, partner, friend, employee, all of it. Don't give all that up for some silly drinks on vacation! Keep going!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks so much ch everyone who took the time to reply!!!

These words really help me. I really appreciate that I can talk it out here.

It's in 2 months so I'm preparing.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What is your AV? Get alter ???.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephengb View Post
What is your AV? Get alter ???.
Addictive Voice. It's the beast part of your brain that wants to drink when your mind doesn't want to. Have a look at Rational Recovery : AVRT -it's really interesting and makes sense. You know when you have that internal conversation with youself should I/ shouldn't I drink? I want to drink/I don't want to drink etc
Old 09-21-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am 3 months AF, the longest since I was 16 now 53. I am at stage where I am comfortable not drinking in day to day life. However, I don't go to social situations since stopping and have not been on holiday (vacation).

The way I see it is that each situation represents stopping all over again. At some point I need to get back into social situations or go on holiday (vacation) and not drink. It will be strange and a bit uncomfortable but I think the reality of doing it will be easier. Need to create the habit of not drinking on holiday and enjoy them without it.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Stephen - I stayed away from those situations for a while, but as time goes by, it's easier and easier to socialize and go on vacations without drinking. It was uncomfortable at first, but every time you do it, you just get stronger and stronger. The positives are so great - you can be the one truly enjoying yourself, knowing you won't be hungover, say or do dumb things you might regret, and being truly in the moment. I have had a couple of sober vacations now, and it's SO much better. I can go places with alcohol all around me and barely notice it now. But listen to your gut, and don't push it too soon.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My suggestion, have a plan. I would let my friend know that I had a drinking problem and might need their help. I would not go to any bars or clubs, lots of other stuff to do there with your kids. If you are an AA person there are probably a lot of meetings around the resorts in Orlando.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JudicatorPanzer View Post
My suggestion, have a plan. I would let my friend know that I had a drinking problem and might need their help. I would not go to any bars or clubs, lots of other stuff to do there with your kids. If you are an AA person there are probably a lot of meetings around the resorts in Orlando.
This is where I would look for the motivation in this case. Being present and 100% there for you children on holiday. Would they be worried or disappointed if you drink? I know mine would.